Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ! AutoCAD polyface Mesh into Revit !

Current Local Time
    12:04 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    .... im 90ish % sure that isnt the actual design intent. If it is, id love to see the drawing that goes with it...
    I've saw some slabs like this some years ago when I've used to work as a modeler for a guy in Switzerland!! and model those slabs was a pain in the nuts
    Last edited by Andres Franco; December 3rd, 2019 at 03:09 PM.

Current Local Time

This slab is not a Revit-element. I dont know with which software it has been created (maybe ArchiCAD). I copied-pasted it from the architect model, as it is a complex element with different slopes, in order to use it in the structural model. Now, I want to create the foundation, and I need to join the foundation with this slab, something that I cannot do as the slab is a non-revit element.
    In revit I cannot do nothing with it. Snaps dont work, pick lines neither. If I try to explode it, I get the error 'Import contained some 3D data or points which can't be exploded.' and after it is deleted.
    Even if, I create a slab in revit, and modify the sub-elements, I cannot put them in the same places as the corner of this slab (as I dont have any snap).

I exported it from the Revit to the AutoCad in order to try to get the outlines, but without any result.

I know that there is the way in Revit to create these kind of slabs with the sub-elements option, but in this case I cannot create exactly the same slab (because of the snaps..etc.)

Current Local Time
    05:04 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yeah, none of that is confusing. We understand. But retyping the problem doesnt change what the issue is.

The way to recreate it isnt to snap to it, its simply to remodel it. If ALL you have to work with is that piece of imported geometry, its not going to go well.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Yeah, none of that is confusing. We understand. But retyping the problem doesnt change what the issue is.

The way to recreate it isnt to snap to it, its simply to remodel it. If ALL you have to work with is that piece of imported geometry, its not going to go well.
    Ok, I just wanted to be sure, this is why I wrote this summary. Thank you!

Current Local Time

I would try and get some other format, IFC maybe, and see if that helps, but I don't give you much chance to be honest as I agree with Aaron, seeing all those extra lines it would be close to impossible to build it like that anyway and it is not very well modeled. So I would go back to the ones that provided you with this model and see if there is something they can do to provide you with something that you can work with, explaining to them what your issue is.

And not knowing much about ArchiCAD I'm pretty sure that can do good floors as well, so if I had to guess, this is SketchUp.

Current Local Time
    04:04 PM

Bring it into Dynamo as a mesh, make it a solid (some work here Im sure), then Direct Shape it back to Revit?

Current Local Time
    05:04 AM

Maria, try the following steps:
    AutoCAD:
    1. Explode Polyface Mesh into 3DFaces;
    2. Convert all 3DFaces to Regions (REGION);
    3. Save As "Slab Regions.dwg";
    Revit:
    4. Create a new generic families;
    5. Import & Full Explode "Slab Regions.dwg" to convert to 3d shape;
    6. Purge & Save familyname.rfa;
    7. Load it into your project;
    8. Either use the family or recreate the slab (now you can snap).

In case of bad geometry:
    3. Select all Regions > Extract Edges to create lines from edges;
    4. Link to Revit project;
    5. Recreate the slab (now you can snap or trace lines).

Current Local Time

Hello all,

Back to this issue, the slab was modeled in ArchiCAD. I received the slab in a .ifc format. We tested many options, to export it like a floor, like a foundation , like a roof etc. In Revit it always comes like a block, when I try to explode the block I get the message 'Import contained some 3D data or points which can't be exploded.' and the slab is deleted completely.

I think the only thing that I can do is to ask for the 3D data, in order to create the slab as topography (create from import option). But again I will have the same problem as I cannon join the foundation with the topography.
    I don't know how else I could model this slab

Thank you!

Current Local Time
    05:04 AM

Have you tried the method that I described above?