Thread: Hiding / parameterically adjusting revision schedules visibility.

Current Local Time
    12:05 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hiding / parameterically adjusting revision schedules visibility.

Ok my end goal is to have one title block sheet family with several types for different sheets sizes / use.

I need my revision schedule size to adjust based on different sheet sizes. eg the title block gets smaller for smaller sheet sizes. I need the revision list to align with that size.

Tried a few things;
    - Making 2 schedules. One big. One small. But then you can't control the visibility of a schedule
    - Ok next thought process. Can I mask or put a filled region over one schedule I don't want to see and control the mask/region with a visibility parameter. Nope because the schedule always comes out on top of it.
    - OK maybe a generic annotation with a parametric hatch region to cover the schedule to suit my needs. Nope. again schedule comes out appearing above it.
    -Ok can I control the size of the schedule with parameters. Nope dimension lines won't click on the schedule list.
    -Ok can I align and lock the schedule with reference lines......ooohh yes I can align...ů.oooooh no I can't lock those alignments.

I'm now at a loose end. Only option left to me is to make a family for the larger sheet sizes, with the larger title block and revision schedule. And another family for the smaller ones. Feels messy though splitting them up like that.

Can anyone else think of a work around to achieve the above / has anyone had any success with the above. Any thoughts for me to try would be appreciated as I've hit a brick wall with it.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    08:05 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just do one titleblock family for each size.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Trying to declutter things. Plus if the title block ever has to change that's potentially a dozen families to change if they are separate. Where as if it can work as one family. its only one thing to change if something ever has to change.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    what alfredo said ^^^

if you have a dozen paper sizes i'd be tempted to rationalise your paper sizes as opposed to your title blocks.

Current Local Time
    07:05 AM

Quote Originally Posted by mountain1985 View Post
    Trying to declutter things. Plus if the title block ever has to change that's potentially a dozen families to change if they are separate. Where as if it can work as one family. its only one thing to change if something ever has to change.
    Its an admirable goal, but ultimately not a valuable use of your time. Titleblocks will change (occasionally), and you can handle the changing of "project by project items" like North Arrows, Project Logos, even your Office Address, with Shared Nested Families which mean you still only make one edit for all of your titleblocks.

But trying to put parametric sizes in titleblocks is kind of lousy, as you end up with a bunch of Vis parameters just entirely turning things on and off, which means you arent any better off than just having ten different families.

Current Local Time
    06:05 AM

6 months ago I had to make a minor adjustment to my door families. 20+ different door families where the change had to go into 20+ child families as well. It happens. It's not any worse than the client calling at 6pm Thursday on a 3 day weekend wanting to remove 1 foot of width on a building when the funding expires at 8am Monday morning.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    what alfredo said ^^^

if you have a dozen paper sizes i'd be tempted to rationalise your paper sizes as opposed to your title blocks.
    can't rationalise it more than that. Portrait and landscape. for A0, A1, A2, A3, and A4. Plus one for sketches and one for schedules. Last 2 could be dropped but its still 10 different appearance for sheets.

Anyways figured a partial work around if interested.

If the schedule is made as a group with some reference lines. you can control its position by making distance parameters from those reference lines. This does me some favours to suit our company template. Still can't control the schedule size parametrically or come up with a creative way to mask/hide one of 2 schedules I don't want to appear.

Ended up doing one family for larger drawings, A0/A1/A2. Sheet size controlled parametrically to create different types to suit drawing size and landscape or portrait. Then a separate family for smaller drawings A3 etc. With the smaller title block and schedule.

Personally this suits us better. I only have 2 families to edit should I need to rather than several for each sheet size.

Current Local Time

North Arrow - always appears in the same place on sheets. Its rotation is controlled by a type parameter. this can be manually typed or a dynamo script can do it for us by looking at the project north rotation.

Project logos - never comes up with us. We are a delivery practice mostly though so maybe its due to a different work type.

office address - we're a multi location office. there's an address project parameter where you put the office location address and it fills it in on all sheets.

There's no parameteric size control on the titleblock sizes. Only on the sheet size. For the titleblock theres 2 groups. one big. one small. Visibility parameters to control them. A formula used so if A0/A1/A2 is used. the larger title block appears. the small is switched off. And vice versa for smaller sheet sizes. My only sticking point was I can't control the schedule size for the 2 title block sizes.

Current Local Time
    07:05 AM

Its totally cool, if this setup works and you are happy with it. But a few notes, for other potential readers:

North Arrow - always appears in the same place on sheets. Its rotation is controlled by a type parameter. this can be manually typed or a dynamo script can do it for us by looking at the project north rotation.
    North Arrows, i actually shouldnt have mentioned in my last reply, at all: i dont recommend they be in the titleblocks, period. Or- if they are- i recommend making them Instance controlled, like a Key Plan. Reason being: MOST plans are oriented the same way, but typically not all. Site Plans tend to be oriented differently, and sometimes Site Plans, Location Plans, Coordinate Plans, and some Enlarged Plans, end up different. If they are type parameters, you end up with multiple types of titleblocks to change, which can be annoying.

Project logos - never comes up with us. We are a delivery practice mostly though so maybe its due to a different work type.
    Yeah, i was never very in to this idea either, but many of our clients (architecture firms) do it. Enough so, that its nice having it build in as a Shared Nested object that doesnt have to be changed, titleblock to titleblock.

office address - we're a multi location office. there's an address project parameter where you put the office location address and it fills it in on all sheets.
    Almost all of our clients are multi office as well (and so are we). Both methods work. The difference is: No one ever has to type the address in, for the secondary offices. They do a single Reload From, and the addresses are up to date on the server, in the Address Components.

There's no parameteric size control on the titleblock sizes. Only on the sheet size. For the titleblock theres 2 groups. one big. one small. Visibility parameters to control them. A formula used so if A0/A1/A2 is used. the larger title block appears. the small is switched off. And vice versa for smaller sheet sizes. My only sticking point was I can't control the schedule size for the 2 title block sizes.
    Yeah, this method *works,* but the Vis parameters get vastly higher in quantities, if you have other vis parameters that also have to be in the titleblock. Not saying it doesnt work, mind you. Just another consideration. We have "Keyplan Visible, Alignment Lines Visible, Stamp Visible, NFC visible, and 7 parameters for Consultants information being visible. So 11, in total. That number (11) ends up being 35.

1- IsSmallGroup (or whatever)
    2- IsLargeGroup (or whatever)

3- KeyPlan Visible (the one users interact with)
    4- KeyPlanLarge (= formula = "and(KeyPlan Visible, IsLargeGroup)
    5- KeyPlanSmall (= formula = "and(KeyPlan Visible, IsSmallGroup)

Yeah, totally doable. Your mileage may vary, on whether or not thats all *worth* it. And- as noted- you still cant parametrically change the size or visibility of the Rev Schedule. For us, that makes the already overcomplicated and unnecessary task, completely unsuccessful. So we have our titleblocks as different files, which doesnt cost us any rework, 95% of the time.

Current Local Time

Ahh one consideration for the North arrow. We only show it on the corner of the key plan. The key plan appears only in the top right of the drawing and adjusts parametrically to large or small based on the drawing size. You only have type the North rotation once and the only parameter for the key plan that everyday staff will use is a visibility parameter to turn the whole thing off or on.

Like the address idea so will incorporate that thanks :-)

Did think the revision list could just remain the same size but move to a different location depending on sheet size but I know that would rub too many people up the wrong way here from an aesthetic point of view. But it's a consideration for anyone reading this in the future.