Thread: Help exporting IFC4 from revit - new

Current Local Time
    02:40 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Help exporting IFC4 from revit - new

Hello everyone I need some help:
    I am working with a consultant who has asked for an IFC4 export from outlr revit model.

They rely on some IFC names to conduct some analysis.
    They are asking for the model to be provided to them following the IFC4 standard wherw according to them walls should be ifcwalls, levels, ifcleves etc.

Im new to this workflow or rather this requirement.
    When I export an IFC4 - reference view or design file from revit 2019 and then import that ifc to say navisworks or even drop in into bim360 docs, all the element AREN'T named ifcwall etc. Instead they keep their Revit name etc.

I looked at the export dialog to see if there options to change this(?) But there aren't any.

Can someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong so that I can compete this deliverable? Do I need to may just look at the ifc model in something solibri, bimsight or bimcollab zoom?

Current Local Time
    08:40 AM

If an IFC viewer shows it as wall, it doesn't mean it's not an IFCWALL. ifc files are just regular text files, you can open them with your favorite text editor you can check the "real" name of ifc categories this way. I just exported an ifc4 file, and walls in BIM Vision shows up as wall, but if I check the file, I can see, that they are actually IFCWALLs.

You can set up the ifc export's categories in Revit in File>Export>Options>Ifc options. Here you can set up which revit category will be mapped to which ifc category, or you can disable the export of some (sub)categories.

If you work with ifc files, it's highly recommended to install the open source ifc addon, you can download it from the store, or from sourceforge. You have to select different version based for your revit version:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ifcexporter/files/
    https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/EN/LIS...=RVT&QUERY=IFC

Do not search for a new button after you installed this addon, it will replace the ifc export dialog, it will just add new buttons there.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by infeeeee View Post
    If an IFC viewer shows it as wall, it doesn't mean it's not an IFCWALL. ifc files are just regular text files, you can open them with your favorite text editor you can check the "real" name of ifc categories this way. I just exported an ifc4 file, and walls in BIM Vision shows up as wall, but if I check the file, I can see, that they are actually IFCWALLs.

You can set up the ifc export's categories in Revit in File>Export>Options>Ifc options. Here you can set up which revit category will be mapped to which ifc category, or you can disable the export of some (sub)categories.

If you work with ifc files, it's highly recommended to install the open source ifc addon, you can download it from the store, or from sourceforge. You have to select different version based for your revit version:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ifcexporter/files/
    https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/EN/LIS...=RVT&QUERY=IFC

Do not search for a new button after you installed this addon, it will replace the ifc export dialog, it will just add new buttons there.
    I see, will check the out.
    Can you tell me what is the idea behind the ifc template during and import?

Current Local Time
    08:40 AM

(I don't really understand your question, maybe you left out some words? what template?)

You can open an ifc file in revit two ways: opening or linking. Linking is the recommended workflow performance wise, see this blog post: https://justshutupandbim.wordpress.c...-the-question/

There is a similar import table in Open>Ifc options. I guess it also applies for linking ifc.

Current Local Time
    08:40 PM

If you download a free IFC viewer like the solibri model viewer; I think youll see that that the classification of the elements are as you expect: If it shows walls that they are walls then they are IFCWalls!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IFC.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	38037

As infeeee noted, you just need to make sure that the classifications are mapped correctly through your Revit IFC options

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    If you download a free IFC viewer like the solibri model viewer; I think youll see that that the classification of the elements are as you expect: If it shows walls that they are walls then they are IFCWalls!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IFC.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	38037

As infeeee noted, you just need to make sure that the classifications are mapped correctly through your Revit IFC options
    Thank you, I think I understand. For some reason I was under the impression that walls would show up as ifcWall.01, 02, 03 etc.
    now I did notice that different software packages write different additional information.