Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIM360 Alternatives

Current Local Time
    08:35 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

BIM360 Alternatives

Hey guys,

I know BIM 360 is a great system to work on, with more users on one Revit project internationally.
    It's also known that it has a monopoly on the market. But what are better/cheaper alternatives for cloud worksharing with Revit?
    Are there users here on the forum that have experience with other cloud software packages?

Current Local Time
    12:35 PM

I dont know if there are any other realistic choices.

Dropbox and its ilk are horrible. They cant update each of the attached systems fast enough.

Before BIM360 we used network accelerators like the SteelHead appliance from Riverbed but thats hardly a cloud based solution and you had to be on the same WAN.

My recommendation... drink the Kool-Aid.

Current Local Time
    01:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    I don’t know if there are any other realistic choices.

Dropbox and it’s ilk are horrible. They can’t update each of the attached systems fast enough.

Before BIM360 we used network accelerators like the SteelHead appliance from Riverbed but that’s hardly a cloud based solution and you had to be on the same WAN.

My recommendation... drink the Kool-Aid.
    I don't have very much experience with the following cloud-based workharing solutions, so I don't know if they're better/cheaper. But here are a few alternatives:

1. Aconex (Oracle)
    2. Box.com
    3. Egnyte

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    I don't have very much experience with the following cloud-based workharing solutions, so I don't know if they're better/cheaper. But here are a few alternatives:

1. Aconex (Oracle)
    2. Box.com
    3. Egnyte
    Not with worksharing. Simply put: Wont work.

Your ONLY options to use regular worksharing, are: BIM360, Panzura, Nasuni. If you dont mind working on some seriously unsupported software, i think GreenBIM and/or Globalscape has a method, too. But after seeing how they work, big bag of nope.

Current Local Time
    12:35 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I had one client use AWS and set up Revit Server on it. OMG it took 35 minutes every time a user opened the file and Synchronizations were long too. Overall they lost productivity time that would have paid for BIM360 licenses for a decade.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Not with worksharing. Simply put: Wont work.

Your ONLY options to use regular worksharing, are: BIM360, Panzura, Nasuni. If you dont mind working on some seriously unsupported software, i think GreenBIM and/or Globalscape has a method, too. But after seeing how they work, big bag of nope.
    You're right. It looks like Aconex is just used for issue tracking and project management/coordination. Egnyte, on the otherhand, appears to have a cloud-based worksharing solution (https://www.egnyte.com/blog/2017/11/...-storage-sync/). The setup seems cumbersome and not as intuitive as BIM 360, though. I thought Box.com had a workflow with Box Sync (or Box Drive), but this solution may have been discontinued.
    Last edited by Knitro87; December 18th, 2019 at 07:10 PM.

Current Local Time

If I see the comments and check my research, BIM360 is still the only option. Hate it when I'm forced to use a specific software. Will use it till some other strong competitor will arise. All other experiences are still welcome.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by BD Mackey View Post
    I had one client use AWS and set up Revit Server on it. OMG it took 35 minutes every time a user opened the file and Synchronizations were long too. Overall they lost productivity time that would have paid for BIM360 licenses for a decade.
    I work for some projects on Azure with Revit server and it works very good. I would recommend it as a BIM360 alternative.
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; December 18th, 2019 at 09:00 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    You're right. It looks like Aconex is just used for issue tracking and project management/coordination. Egnyte, on the otherhand, appears to have a cloud-based worksharing solution (https://www.egnyte.com/blog/2017/11/...-storage-sync/). The setup seems cumbersome and not as intuitive as BIM 360, though. I thought Box.com had a workflow with Box Sync (or Box Drive), but this solution may have been discontinued.
    Just a heads up:

Quote Originally Posted by from Egnytes own website

• Central Files co-located in a Storage Sync instance: If you want to leverage Revits File-based Worksharing mode, all the collaborators require to access the same Storage Sync instance. In other words, Revit users must open the file through their network drive letter, and not through Egnyte Connect Desktop App.
    • Remote workers who wish to work on a Revit central file will require to access the Storage Sync device over VPN.
    I would read this very carefully. What it implies (to me) is that Egnyte will successfully replicate the file, but that people *using worksharing* all need to be in the same spot, while they use it. I might be misunderstanding, but if im not, it is behaving exactly how DFSR, Synology, Dropbox, Box, all do. They *work* with worksharing, but not if people are in different locations using worksharing at the same time.

Happy to be wrong, of course.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Just a heads up:

I would read this very carefully. What it implies (to me) is that Egnyte will successfully replicate the file, but that people *using worksharing* all need to be in the same spot, while they use it. I might be misunderstanding, but if im not, it is behaving exactly how DFSR, Synology, Dropbox, Box, all do. They *work* with worksharing, but not if people are in different locations using worksharing at the same time.

Happy to be wrong, of course.
    This is exactly how I image all those apps to be working. The reason why I don't have the guts to make a different step.