Thread: Roof Common Practice Questions

Current Local Time
    06:35 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Roof Common Practice Questions

Hi all,
    Just a question I'd like to run by with RF
    I am having issues with I am working on a model that was not originally created by myself.

The former person drew a roof by foot print and then around the outside a second roof by footprint for over hang.
    There is a roof overhang roof type and the full roof type is this something common practice? While I am working with this model and making the materials what they actually need to be, I am now having problems with the slopes aligning to the same ridge even though they are same slope/ offset etc.
    Picture for some explanation can add more if required.

Thanks,
    Storm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Plan issue.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	38073  

Current Local Time

Welcome to the Forum!

I dont know if saying yes or no to "common practice" is viable, without knowing more information about the design:

1. Is there anything different about the Roof Types that make up the main roof vs the overhang?
    2. Are they at the same Slope, in the Design?

My *hunch* is they did it to either include a ceiling, or soffit, or some material difference, in them. If its the first two, i would say "no" its not common, or needed, since you can put in a ceiling or soffit as a separate item.

But if the material composition is different, it would explain it.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

I dont know if saying yes or no to "common practice" is viable, without knowing more information about the design:

1. Is there anything different about the Roof Types that make up the main roof vs the overhang?
    2. Are they at the same Slope, in the Design?

My *hunch* is they did it to either include a ceiling, or soffit, or some material difference, in them. If its the first two, i would say "no" its not common, or needed, since you can put in a ceiling or soffit as a separate item.

But if the material composition is different, it would explain it.
    Ok, thought exercise: Let's presume this was the easiest answer for sake of argument. Would it be better to use the Core Centerline as the dividing line, or the outside Face for this? Would the "join" for the soffit to wall be cleaner by using the built-in feature, or better to suffer the slings and arrow of the exterior faces changes?

My guess is that the extend to wall core ought to make aligning the two roofs easier. Maybe. Perhaps.

I'm sore tempted to test this out to see if I can get a good enough alignment to do a Join so that a gutter could wrap in a sensible sort of way.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have to apologize: I dont understand what you are saying.

But i dont EVER use the Core centerline option. Its pure fiction.

Current Local Time
    05:35 PM

The only time I could see core centerline being used is some sort of steel tube bolted into the cores of CMU and the roof attached to that. Why anybody would do that is beyond me but there you go

Current Local Time

My guess is there's a difference in structure thickness between the main roof framing and the overhangs, which is quite common especially on roof gables. The main roof structure might be 2x8 rafters, while the gables are made with 2x4 outriggers framed into the side of a rafter and overhanging the gable wall framing. Using a single roof makes the gable roof edge much too thick, and so a separate roof has to be modeled to make it look correct, either that or some sort of complicated in-place void along the gable edge which is NOT my choice at all.

I've often wished for Revit roof objects to have layers that can extend past the edge of the roof sketch, sort of like how walls can have layers unlocked and extended above or below the top/bottom wall constraints.

Current Local Time

As long as each roof's slope-defining lines are referencing the same thing on each side, and have the same slope, and are both set to either Rafter or Truss, then the roof peaks SHOULD align for both roof elements.

Current Local Time
    11:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    My guess is there's a difference in structure thickness between the main roof framing and the overhangs, which is quite common especially on roof gables. The main roof structure might be 2x8 rafters, while the gables are made with 2x4 outriggers framed into the side of a rafter and overhanging the gable wall framing. Using a single roof makes the gable roof edge much too thick, and so a separate roof has to be modeled to make it look correct, either that or some sort of complicated in-place void along the gable edge which is NOT my choice at all.

I've often wished for Revit roof objects to have layers that can extend past the edge of the roof sketch, sort of like how walls can have layers unlocked and extended above or below the top/bottom wall constraints.
    I used the void-in-place method on a big project and i would also recommend NOT to use it, it takes ages to adjust if something changes.

Current Local Time
    07:35 PM

It would be helpful to see the roof in section. I use this method whenevever the assembly is different from the exterior wall in vs the exterior wall out, ie there is insulation on the portion over conditioned space and none over the exterior overhang. Or the structure changes, etc. Note once you edit the assemblies as needed the thicknesses will change and you will need to go to a section view and decide where to move and align the roofs up or down as needed.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    As long as each roof's slope-defining lines are referencing the same thing on each side, and have the same slope, and are both set to either Rafter or Truss, then the roof peaks SHOULD align for both roof elements.
    <br>
    Thanks Patrick I think that is exactly what was trying to be done. (it is unneeded but the intent because the architect wants exposed rafters) this makes sense just really threw me off the previous Draftsperson also put two wall types side by side (finish and studs) to quickly hide to show a framing plan.. this must be the reason that it isn't aligning because using tab with two walls type side by side makes an inaccurate drawing.<br>