Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linked CAD dwg moves after reloading.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    06:32 AM

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanolkar
    So just so I understand this correctly to get the link to work properly, it should be placed with orientation as Project North, even if we are setting up the site plan initially?
    Could I ask if you could please you review our workflow attached? It would be a great help.
    I don't use Publish Coordinates anymore. It isn't supported with BIM360 projects and many models I might need to use it on aren't my models (belong to consultants) so for the sake of consistency I only use a process based on Acquire Coordinates and Specify Coordinates at Point.

Acquire Coordinates creates the opportunity to link models to each other using By Shared Coordinates. Specify Coordinates at Point allows us to fix model locations when the design changes as well as export to external formats for alignment in other software.

Regardless, when a DWG file is linked into a project the view it is linked into matters. Revit treats that as its home view and leaving the view assigned to Project North is necessary to keep it oriented correctly.

Current Local Time
    11:32 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    When True North is defined either with Rotate True North or Acquire Coordinates you need to maintain a Project North orientation in the view the DWG file was linked into originally. If that view is set to True North then when Revit reloads the DWG either with Manage Links or the project is opened the DWG will rotate/move out of position.

Any other view can use True North, just not the one that the DWG was linked into originally. If you set that view back to Project North and reload the link it should return to its original position.
    Mr Revit OpEd! Hallelujah! My testing confirms your word is true. This has bothered me for a decade. I wish I knew this. I always thought one should be in the True North view when linking DWGs. Looks like I got that rule the wrong way around. Thank you so much.

Current Local Time
    02:32 PM

Yes, this explains a lot. Many thanks Steve

Current Local Time

This is why I would link my CAD into separate Revit file and then link that Revit file into the main file. That way your CAD link will never move and you have extra layer of assurance. However I found a glitch in CAD linking which may screwup in Revit. If you working with Revit 2016-2018 and the CAD is open and saved in newer version, the CAD will lose it's association with model space and want you to reload it from layout space. It will make your CAD link display as blank. To get around this, I have to remove the Layout 1 tab in AutoCAD and resave it to get it to display properly in Revit.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glad it helped. I mention this issue in my series of shared coordinates posts, specifically number 4 near the end.

6.    #16
    Current Local Time
    02:32 PM

I'm sorry, but this can't just be me.

I link a DWG CAD file into a view, recently one DWG into a Plan View and a different DWG into a legend. I save, close and reopen the Revit file. I then reload the DWG links. No changes have been made to either the Revit file or the DWGs.

The DWGs move a long way from where they were originally placed.

No complication. No shared coordinates. No project North vs true North. The DWGs just move when reloaded. I have experienced this behaviour using versions of Revit from 2015 to 2021. Everytime I check the forums I read people talking about shared coordinates, home views, project North etc but in the simplest cases this is NOT the problem.

I'm really sorry, but this MUST be a BUG. I cannot conceive of any kind of convoluted explanation that can explain, mitigate or excuse the behaviour, but please PROVE ME WRONG.

Until such time I will continue to advertise the fact that such basic functionality and compatibility between products made by the same damn company is broken is an absolute disgrace.

7.    #17
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Share a couple files this has happened with and/or share a video of stepping through it, reproducing the issue. It is much like reporting about a noise your car makes that the mechanic can't find. Until the exact circumstances are present it is nigh impossible to catch.

I can say I've only seen DWG files changing position when shared coordinates are used or the DWG file itself has been altered. I've been using Revit a loooong time...