Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linked CAD dwg moves after reloading.

Current Local Time
    07:58 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Linked CAD dwg moves after reloading.

Hello All
    Need your expert guidance. At my wits end at the moment, I need to deliver a tender package next week and the dwg files just cant seem to stay put, even thought its pinned.

To give you a brief background of the issue
    We use linked CAD dwg files for our site related drawings, instead of modelling in revit. At times the dwg file stays in place for a few days, months even... and then it decided to move of its own accord. This can happen either at the time of reloading the dwg file or sometimes after opening the revit model with the linked dwg in it.

I have tried to make sure that
    1. the linked dwg file isnt open when reloading into revit or the revit model isnt open when editing the dwg file.
    2. when reloading the dwg file, I make sure i use the view used initially with the same orientation.

I even created the Site seed file from the OOTB revit template (just to make sure there wasnt anything in our office templates that could be causing the discrepancy.. but no luck). I have attached our workflow in the attachments. Please could you advise where I am going wrong and help me so that i dont have to keep redoing all work again and again..

Appreciate your help...
    Thank you
    Kay
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    12:58 AM

The geometry in the DWG has likely been moved in AutoCAD.

Current Local Time

Hello Greg
    Geometry in what sense? sometimes just opening the dwg file to look at some frozen layers, then closing the file without saving also have resulted in the linked dwg to move.

Current Local Time
    12:58 AM

Somebody is working inside of the CAD file. I often have taken a site CAD file from somebody and made a copy of it. Since they usually include a couple ten thousand or so unnecessary lines, and/or layers I'll take the copied file and clean it up. Especially the lines that are 3" long in the X & Y axis but in Z it's miles long.

Current Local Time

Hello David
    I'm the only person working in the file. No one else.
    I took the surveyors information and flattened it so it doesn't have any 3d information in it.
    Then copied the information I needed to.a brand new file to avoid any contamination.

And the problem still occurs..

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:58 PM

When True North is defined either with Rotate True North or Acquire Coordinates you need to maintain a Project North orientation in the view the DWG file was linked into originally. If that view is set to True North then when Revit reloads the DWG either with Manage Links or the project is opened the DWG will rotate/move out of position.

Any other view can use True North, just not the one that the DWG was linked into originally. If you set that view back to Project North and reload the link it should return to its original position.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    When True North is defined either with Rotate True North or Acquire Coordinates you need to maintain a Project North orientation in the view the DWG file was linked into originally. If that view is set to True North then when Revit reloads the DWG either with Manage Links or the project is opened the DWG will rotate/move out of position.

Any other view can use True North, just not the one that the DWG was linked into originally. If you set that view back to Project North and reload the link it should return to its original position.

Hello Steve
    I assumed that True North would be the right orientation to set the CAD link.

So just so I understand this correctly to get the link to work properly, it should be placed with orientation as Project North, even if we are setting up the site plan initially?
    Could I ask if you could please you review our workflow attached? It would be a great help.

Thanks
    Last edited by kkhanolkar; January 3rd, 2020 at 09:42 AM.

Current Local Time
    08:58 AM

It is much easier to do site design and drawing with 3D DWG exports from yours RVT files. Load them as xref in a 'DWG environment'. my $
    Last edited by HansLammerts; January 3rd, 2020 at 10:41 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by HansLammerts View Post
    It is much easier to do site design and drawing with 3D DWG exports from yours RVT files. Load them as xref in a 'DWG environment'. my $
    True.. but sometimes, you need to create visuals which show the site. So we need to redo the site work in revit again just to the visuals.. We are also trying to avoid having to using 2 softwares in the same project. It just creates more confusion when people who are working on the project on a short term basis cant figure out which is the current building plans.

Current Local Time
    08:58 AM

More software, more formats, more sales and more fun for users :P