Thread: If/then conditional formulas and schedules

Current Local Time
    07:07 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

If/then conditional formulas and schedules

hey all,

so i have not messed with conditional formulas much at all. i am trying to figure out how i would go about getting this to happen....

attached is a schedule that i am working with. in the column D "total hot" for all the zeros, i want to find out if there is an easy way to be able to state "if this is zero then replace with ---"

i am just not sure how i would write that.... if(HWSFU <OR = TO 0, REPLACE WITH "---"? i am sure that i am way way off. but anything would help. i just cant seem to find this information anywhere.

thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-01-06 11_47_15-Window.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	38123  

Current Local Time

You can't. A number field only displays a number and cannot be formatted as a text string. I really (really, really​) wish there were a way, but there isn't a way to do it currently. Dynamo could do those calculations and output the number as a string to a text-based shared parameter, but it will not update automatically.

If it were me, I'd include the HWSFU even where not needed and just force them to zero. It ain't pretty, but at least the table would look completely populated.

Current Local Time

awesome, thank you for the response.

Current Local Time
    10:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    You can't. A number field only displays a number and cannot be formatted as a text string. I really (really, really​) wish there were a way, but there isn't a way to do it currently. Dynamo could do those calculations and output the number as a string to a text-based shared parameter, but it will not update automatically.

If it were me, I'd include the HWSFU even where not needed and just force them to zero. It ain't pretty, but at least the table would look completely populated.
    We got this to work by using a Calculated Value (text parameter) with this formula:

if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 1 1/2", "2''", if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 1 1/4", "1 1/2''", if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 1", "1 1/4''", if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 0 3/4", "1''", if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 0 1/2", "3/4''", if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 0 3/8", "1/2''", if(Pipe Size CW > 0' 0 1/4", "3/8''", if(Pipe Size CW = 0' 0 1/4", "1/4''", "-"))))))))

Each Pipe Size is just a text string that's output by each nested if statement. That final "-" string is what the formula spits out if none of the previous if statements are true. The schedule is reading a Shared Parameter from the fixtures called "Pipe Size CW", but that schedule column is hidden so all you see is the Calculated Value. Obviously, we're doing the same thing for hot water, sanitary and vent.

This was a huge pain in the butt to execute, all because "the standard" at our firm is to put that "-" in the schedule when the parameter doesn't apply. The managers who do the redlines at my firm refuse to recognize any graphical differences between Revit and AutoCAD, so we have to jump through these hoops to appease them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plumbing Fixture Schedule.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	38246

As for OP's question, you could do the same thing with fixture units. You'd have to have one of those if statements for each increment of fixture units, up to 10 or 15 (or whatever the maximum number of fixture units per fixture is that you want to allow for.)
    Last edited by Necro99; January 30th, 2020 at 10:11 PM.