Thread: How to get two families to cut through one another

Current Local Time
    10:06 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How to get two families to cut through one another

I have a situation where I have a sink family and a counter family, I want the sink to cut through the counter when I place them together. I understand I could add a hole in the counter, but the family is parametric and there is a lot to it and there are many variations of sink placement so I want to avoid altering the counter family itself.

I tried adding a void mass to the sink in the family editor to no avail. I also tried the modify > cut tool. Is there a way to get the counter to cut around the sink? in the attached image, it shows the issue

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sink Cut Issue 1.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	38124  
    Last edited by katewood1989; January 6th, 2020 at 09:01 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    07:06 AM

The sink family needs to have a void to cut the host. If you started with a Generic Model Face Based that a good start. Change the category to Plumbing Fixture afterward. The Family Parameter "Cut with Voids When Loaded" is necessary to have the void cut the hosting form.

If you've done that and it still doesn't work...in a plan view then the counter you're placing it on doesn't have any solid form visible in plan. Try in a 3D view. You can edit the countertop to let the solid form be visible in plan views.

Current Local Time

Hi, thank you for your response. The sink is a plumbing fixture. I checked off "cut with voids when loaded" This is what it looks like. (see attached). It is still not displaying. I just want it to show correctly in the 3D view I showed in my original post.

Can you clarify what you mean, by editing the counter top to let the solid form be visible?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sink Cut Issue 2.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	38125

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It does not happen automatically. You still need to use Cut Geometry in the project.
    Cut geometry > select the counter > select the sink family.

Current Local Time
    09:06 AM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You can make the family Unhosted with Voids (as alfredo mentioned) or Face Based (as Steve mentioned). In UWV, there needs to be a void in the family, where you want it to cut a whole in the countertop. Then you have to use Cut Geometry, as Alfredo mentioned. It wont cut automatically. BUT, the UWV families are more stable in groups, respond to mirroring and rotating better, and are just all around better. FB will cut automatically when you place them, but they have other downsides: Behaving poorly in groups, separating from their hosts unexpectedly, etc.

Edit: apologies. I had it backwards, as to who said which method. Edited names above
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; January 6th, 2020 at 09:56 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    07:06 AM

I've attached a mockup. I didn't need to use Cut Geometry to get it to cut the countertop, just place it on its face. The family was started from the Generic Model Face Based.rft.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katewood1989 View Post
    Hi, thank you for your response. The sink is a plumbing fixture. I checked off "cut with voids when loaded" ...
    Some messages that programmers use in Revit's dialog boxes are not very clear. "Cut with voids when loaded" is one of those. It should mean "make this family able to cut another family with voids in a project" but that would be a long sentence. The part that says "Cut" can be interpreted as in the past tense, cut, when something is already cut, such as when a column is cut in plan view. "Can cut" would have been better. such as in "Can host rebar"; that is clear. The part that says "when loaded" is not clear either. Because if you load the family into another family the "Cut with voids when loaded" does not do anything.

Anyway, in summary, there are two ways to do this, as explained in the previous messages:

A) if you want to cut the counter with a sink family (not face based) you need to activate that option, and then use Cut Geometry in the project.

B) if you want the family to cut automatically in the project, the family needs to be face-based. Make a void, cut the dummy face with the void, then load the family into the project. In that case, you don't even need to activate "Cut with voids when loaded".

Option B has an impact on the performance of the model. It is part of the features that are not recommended when you are working with large models where performance is critical.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; January 6th, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Current Local Time
    09:06 AM

One other annoying artifact of the Face Based is that it ALWAYS defaults to "Place on Vertical Face."
    If you're placing Sinks, you probably don't want it on the face of the wall, so you ALWAYS have to check "Place on Face."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlaceOnFace.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	38129
    And by ALWAYS, I mean every single Sink you place. Even if you just changed that option.
    Give it a try.
    Then go upvote this Revit Idea
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit.../idi-p/7391212