Thread: Multiple Shared Sites for Navis export?

Current Local Time
    06:44 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Multiple Shared Sites for Navis export?

I have a question about how to approach multiple export origins within the same Revit file. Here's the scenario:

The architectural and structural design models from the A/E team has one Revit model each, but multiple buildings. We are coordinating two buildings on this project: the academic building and the central plant. We decided to have a separate Navisworks NWF/NWD for the central plant building.

Do we use Multiple Shared Sites to manage this, or use one Shared Site but multiple PBP's? This is a first for me. I have tried setting up two Shared Sites, but that is wrecking shop on my Links when I switch between "Make Current" from Manage > Location > Site tab.

Thanks in advance to all comments!

-TZ

Current Local Time

I use multiple Named Places (Shared Sites). I can switch mine back and forth, without issue.

But- going back to the other threads conversation- as Steve pointed out: My models all *export correctly, and to the same place* but officially are "Not Shared" in the Shared Site Location, of the instance of the Linked Model.

BUT... even if you are linked BSC, when you switch your Current Site, all you should need to do is click on each Link, and in the instance Properties, select the Shared Site parameter and change it to the other coordinate system. Obviously that means the links have to have both, as well.

Current Local Time

I did think about setting each link to Not Shared to bypass the issue, but wanted to pose the question here first. I know the models are in the correct location so it doesn't matter on my end - I would assume you have the same thought process on that? Sounds like that's the way to do it.

Seems a bit counter productive on exports though, especially if you're simultaneously working on both buildings and exporting. I do have CTC Exporter, I may see if there's options there to export different 3D views to different Shared Sites at the same time.

Thanks again for the assistance sir.

-TZ

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You cant export to different shared sites at the same *time* since there is only one Shared Site that is currently active. So technically, no. Not without switching them in the middle.

Current Local Time

Thanks for the clarification.

-TZ

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    04:44 PM

I'd be inclined to focus on a single survey coordinate system (Shared) and you can decide to use however many NWF files you want for buildings. Ultimately they'd all append to one another if you chose to. If both buildings are based on the same survey then it really doesn't matter how you choose to combine exports in Navis. They'd line up regardless.

Using separate locations for exporting seems to me like adding to the "things to remember to do before exporting" list...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    I'd be inclined to focus on a single survey coordinate system (Shared) and you can decide to use however many NWF files you want for buildings. Ultimately they'd all append to one another if you chose to. If both buildings are based on the same survey then it really doesn't matter how you choose to combine exports in Navis. They'd line up regardless.

Using separate locations for exporting seems to me like adding to the "things to remember to do before exporting" list...
    Yes, I agree with all this. The Central Plant was different X,Y,Z and the team wanted an origin that was "simple". There are several different modeling teams and it was easier for them to have a grid intersection at CPA,CP1 at 100ft AFF. I do not think I'll do this again on the next project. I'll just export a DWG of the XYZ for the other building for the AutoCAD users.

-TZ

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tzframpton View Post
    Yes, I agree with all this. The Central Plant was different X,Y,Z and the team wanted an origin that was "simple". There are several different modeling teams and it was easier for them to have a grid intersection at CPA,CP1 at 100ft AFF. I do not think I'll do this again on the next project. I'll just export a DWG of the XYZ for the other building for the AutoCAD users.

-TZ
    When there are multiple buildings on a site, ive been asked (a bunch of times) to export them all (for navis) in their own "simple" coordinate systems. Its got less to do with orientation, and more to do with reading distances in Navis, from what im told. If the CUP is off at 22.6 degrees from the main building, they dont want to have every dimension or length they take be kinked off at 22.6 degrees. They would rather be able to just read the differences in the coordinates, instead of having to actually "measure."

If they dont care, yeah: Its obviously simpler not to do it. But if they do cre, its solvable.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    When there are multiple buildings on a site, ive been asked (a bunch of times) to export them all (for navis) in their own "simple" coordinate systems. Its got less to do with orientation, and more to do with reading distances in Navis, from what im told. If the CUP is off at 22.6 degrees from the main building, they dont want to have every dimension or length they take be kinked off at 22.6 degrees. They would rather be able to just read the differences in the coordinates, instead of having to actually "measure."

If they dont care, yeah: Its obviously simpler not to do it. But if they do cre, its solvable.
    Ah, good point on the building rotation angles. On this project, it works out because all buildings are rotated to an orthogonal direction. That would be the reason to do it, certainly.

-TZ