Thread: "Failed to apply family parameters." - Revit 2019.2

Current Local Time
    02:28 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

"Failed to apply family parameters." - Revit 2019.2

So over the last two days I've been getting an irritating error masquerading as a warning:

An error occurred in family "Rectangular Elbow - Mitered" that cannot be automatically resolved.
    Error Information:
    "Failed to apply family parameters."

Not only is this affecting the elbow family (which is just the default elbow), but the round elbow, rectangular offsets, pieces of mechanical equipment, even title blocks. It's prevented me from upgrading a project, from making routing edits where the elbow is not at 90, placing other duct fittings, etc. I suspect it is also behind the crashes occurring when I try to load a family into projects. I've audited the files and removed add-ins; I haven't done a clean un/reinstall, but I'm planning on it if I can't find any resolution. I found an autodesk fourm post where the OP didn't have much luck with that, but who knows...

Typically I've only seen families behave poorly like this when the geometry can't resolve itself, but I'm at the end of my rope because most of these families have never been a problem.

Currently I'm running Revit 2019.2.20.24 on Win10. I installed the August 29 hotfix earlier this week to fix the slow file menu (which is only 50% better, but I remember being 100% better not that long ago...), but this issue didn't present itself until yesterday afternoon. Attached is the journal file, if someone who understands those things better than I can glean some information there.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Current Local Time
    04:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    So over the last two days I've been getting an irritating error masquerading as a warning:

An error occurred in family "Rectangular Elbow - Mitered" that cannot be automatically resolved.
    Error Information:
    "Failed to apply family parameters."

Not only is this affecting the elbow family (which is just the default elbow), but the round elbow, rectangular offsets, pieces of mechanical equipment, even title blocks. It's prevented me from upgrading a project, from making routing edits where the elbow is not at 90, placing other duct fittings, etc. I suspect it is also behind the crashes occurring when I try to load a family into projects. I've audited the files and removed add-ins; I haven't done a clean un/reinstall, but I'm planning on it if I can't find any resolution. I found an autodesk fourm post where the OP didn't have much luck with that, but who knows...

Typically I've only seen families behave poorly like this when the geometry can't resolve itself, but I'm at the end of my rope because most of these families have never been a problem.

Currently I'm running Revit 2019.2.20.24 on Win10. I installed the August 29 hotfix earlier this week to fix the slow file menu (which is only 50% better, but I remember being 100% better not that long ago...), but this issue didn't present itself until yesterday afternoon. Attached is the journal file, if someone who understands those things better than I can glean some information there.

Any insights would be appreciated.
    So.... I currently have a client with three models doing the exact same thing. THe only fix seems to be reloading EVERY family in the model,a nd then re-syncing. And- for some unknown reason- when doing a SWC after reloading EVERY family in the project, the sych time is HOURS.

Its very bizarre. Cause still unknown. Its happening to my client exclusively in 2020, so far.

Current Local Time

Oh what a joy! I'm going to reach out to our reseller and see if they have any insights. Glad to know it's not an isolated incident.

Thank you, Aaron.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    Oh what a joy! I'm going to reach out to our reseller and see if they have any insights. Glad to know it's not an isolated incident.

Thank you, Aaron.
    Do you mind answering a few questions, for me? It might help me while im working with autodesk, to figure out whats going on.

1a. Are you the only one in the file?
    1b. If not, do you know everyone whos been in the file recently?

2a. Do you know what BUILD of Windows 10 you are on? You can get this from System Information, if you type it in the search bar. Im on 18362, aka 1903.

2b. If there are more than one of you on the job, can you get the Windows 10 build for everyone on the job?

3. Do you know the FIRST time ANYONE on the job got that message? If so, can you get and send me the Journal file from when it happened? They will be in %localappdata%\Autodesk\Autodesk Revit 2019\Journals

Current Local Time

Can do. I've got a call with Autodesk this morning,

1a. Yes and no. In the one file, where the duct fittings were not working and I wan't able to load families, I've had a second person in there intermittently, but not in the last few months. In the other file I was trying to upgrade, we received it from the engineer of record to assist in the development of shop drawings.
    1b. I'd have to reach out to the engineer to find out who's been in their file, but I'd say it's a long shot as to their system being

2a: Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.535. Mine is a brand new machine.
    2b. The only other person in my office who has been in the one file is running 18362 like you.

3. I will, though I attached them to the previous post as a zip, but they didn't make it to the regular post. Email? Or I can send you a dropbox link.
    Last edited by Robert Roffe; January 10th, 2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added secondary user information.

Current Local Time

DM dropbox link is good.

And i dont want to "call the cause" too soon, but its interesting (to me) that you are also on 1909 Win10. So are the folks at my clients office experiencing this. :-/

Current Local Time
    05:28 PM

I just got one of these errors on Windows 1809 trying to load in a light fixture. Currently the only person in the file, but the previous person is in 1903.

Current Local Time

Oof. I resolved it by doing a clean uninstall and reinstalling Revit. Not thrilling, but didn't take too long. The Autodesk support member I talked too said that sometimes it's a problem with the Windows user profile. In my case it seemed more like a problem with Windows and not Revit itself...
    Last edited by Robert Roffe; January 14th, 2020 at 05:50 PM.