Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Families have become unusable

Current Local Time
    02:11 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jill, thanks for reach-out to us here on RFO. my office is experiencing the same symptoms as noted above within only about a week now of windows 10 update to 1909, with existing Revit 2019/20 installs already installed. in addition to the family errors in the central, our central models are on our panzura network (3 nodes) within 3 offices.

your help will be appreciated. thank you.
    -md

Current Local Time
    04:11 PM

mdsharp5, just to clarify: You are increasingly having this problem with Revit 2019 too, after the Windows 1909 update? Not just Revit 2020, correct? And, what 2020 version are you using .0, .1, or .2?
    Thanks!

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    adsk_dobriai thanks for the reply. you are correct for both cases of Revit.
    re Revit builds;
    Revit 2019.2.2
    Revit 2020.2

Autodesk QA
    Current Local Time
    05:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mdsharp5 View Post
    Jill, thanks for reach-out to us here on RFO. my office is experiencing the same symptoms as noted above within only about a week now of windows 10 update to 1909, with existing Revit 2019/20 installs already installed. in addition to the family errors in the central, our central models are on our panzura network (3 nodes) within 3 offices.

your help will be appreciated. thank you.
    -md
    Hi MD,

Can you tell me a little more about what you are observing? For example:
    - Do you notice problems immediately after updating to certain versions of Revit or Widows updates?
    - Are there certain workflows that seem to trigger or are at all related to this issue?
    - Are there trends in the models that experience family corruption? By that I mean, do you need to repair the same files over and over again? Or do you see this occur in random project files but it doesn't resurface after repair?
    - Are the projects experiencing corruption work-shared? Network based or cloud-models?

Any information you can share would be very welcome!
    Jill

Current Local Time

Hi Jill, thanks for the reply;

>>[COLOR=#2E2E2E]- Do you notice problems immediately after updating to certain versions of Revit or Widows updates?

[/COLOR]no, we believe it starts happening at random times.

>>[COLOR=#2E2E2E]- Are there certain workflows that seem to trigger or are at all related to this issue?
    [/COLOR]
    none that we're aware of, yet. the projects affected average 4-6 users with model size of 250kb, all using worksharing

>>[COLOR=#2E2E2E]- Are there trends in the models that experience family corruption? By that I mean, do you need to repair the same files over and over again? Or do you see this occur in random project files but it doesn't resurface after repair?

[/COLOR]not sure yet, as this behavior only started at most 2 weeks ago. it does seem random however.

>>[COLOR=#2E2E2E]- Are the projects experiencing corruption work-shared? Network based or cloud-models?
    [/COLOR]yes, they are work-shared and they are not cloud-models

i've set up a test-lab of 3 machines, to see if i can replicate, predict, and record these behaviors. should i be able to get good information, i will post it here and/or contact you directly.

Thanks again for your help..

-MD

Autodesk QA
    Current Local Time
    05:11 PM

Thank you, MD!

Current Local Time
    10:11 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Do we think this is related to the Windows 1909 update? It's starting to come through on our machines and i will get it stopped if we think that's the cause.

Current Local Time

So far, ive made notes that (at least) one machine on all of the affected projects (that MY client is experiencing) seems to be on 1909. But, there isnt a direct link or proof that it is causation, at this point in time. But i brought up 1909 as a possible cause, just because i HAVE seen some of the windows updates of the last two years cause funky issues with already installed Autodesk software.

I know that the particular client of ours that is experiencing the issue, has a number of variables that make their office different from mine, but also a large number of variables that make their office identical to mine. I havent seen this error at all, but no machines at Prlx have gone to 1909 yet. We are on 2020.2, 2019.2.2, and are yet to experience it.

But, thats not enough of a link to call it a cause. Just a theory.

As much as i hate to say it... If you guys arent experiencing the issue at the moment, i would let the update to 1909 happen. If the error starts happening, maybe we are closer to identifying the cause? (Thats not sarcasm... Its hard to track down "before and after" on a problem like this... so since you KNOW the 1909 update is potentially happening now, youre the closest thing to a "test bench" ive seen, lol)

Current Local Time

I can't say for sure either, but at least one of the models that's gotten corrupted probably wasn't touched by a computer.
    I have 1909, but I didn't open the file until after I heard of the corruptions.
    There were only two people working in the model. One has 1903 and the other 1809

Although I think I made it worse. When this was first reported, and AUDIT showed 13 corrupted families
    After I ran the Audit and then ran a second Audit, there were over 250 corrupted.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I can't say for sure either, but at least one of the models that's gotten corrupted probably wasn't touched by a computer.
    I have 1909, but I didn't open the file until after I heard of the corruptions.
    There were only two people working in the model. One has 1903 and the other 1809

Although I think I made it worse. When this was first reported, and AUDIT showed 13 corrupted families
    After I ran the Audit and then ran a second Audit, there were over 250 corrupted.
    FWIW, thats what the models do for us, as well. When someone audits, they see X amount of corrupt families. Someone checks it later (even not on 1909) and its way more.