Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Families have become unusable

Current Local Time
    02:40 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Families have become unusable

We've suddenly started getting a lot of these errors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family is Corrupt.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	38178
    I tried opening one of the problematic projects, and it found 260 corrupt families!
    One other, newer project has about a dozen corrupt families.
    That one was created about a month ago from our standard Template, which gets an Audit run on it frequently.
    So these families appear to gotten corrupted AFTER they passed the Audit in the Template.
    This is scaring me. Especially the one that has 260 corruptions. That one also tends to re-corrupt families.
    After they've been re-loaded and work for a few days, the same family complains bout being corrupt again.

Opening with Audit, I found similar error messages to these:

6:< ****** Corrupt content document: no owner family element, GUID = 54d5e28c-28bf-439a-af3c-772c8f1c76b4

' 3:< FamilyMgr is tracking id = 6271224 (Family): Align Symbol - BWBR, but HOLDING UNRELATED GUID 54d5e28c-28bf-439a-af3c-772c8f1c76b4

These are all on Revit 2020.2 projects, although some may have been started in 2020.1

Current Local Time

Happening here (well, with one of my clients) too. WE have a Support Request opened with Autodesk, but so far... It isnt going well, getting to a resolution.

Same sitch: Started in 2020.1 (or 2019) and currently in 2020.2.

Current Local Time

Eek.
    That's not your 24-hour reload all families project is it?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Eek.
    That's not your 24-hour reload all families project is it?
    Sure is.

We (my client) currently have 5 models, exhibiting that behavior. In some of them, we were able to use the CTC Batch Loader, to reload ALL of the families. After reloading, as you saw on twitter, a save Or a sync, was HOURS. The one successful project, it was 2.5 hours to save, and 4 to sync.

The one that ran for 20+, never successfully saved, so i never bothered trying a sync.

Three other files are in various states of "certain families need to be reloaded," and we are still fighting with them. Also fighting to identify a cause. So far the "causes" that Autodesk has suggested, are kind of a joke: "Third party addins, and not auditing the project when opening it in 2020.2 for the first time."

That second bit concerns me, since 2020.2 isnt an actual file upgrade. Heck, if it was a file upgrade, they could have made the Internal Origin hidden by default.

Unfortunately, there are WAY too many variables in play, for me to even remotely suggest a cause with any degree of certainty. "In my gut" it feels like Windows updates did something to a few machines, and that those machines Revit installs now have a *blown head gasket,* the trouble is... we dont even know which machines.

Current Local Time

It's getting worse & worse.
    I had one project that had about a dozen corrupt families.
    I reloaded what I could.
    A couple of them were nested, and the parent was also corrupt. The suggested "solution" was to delete both families.
    The parent family is our Single Swing door, so that would delete about 85 % of the doors in the project.
    After I replaced what I could, I saved the project, closed it, and then opened it with another Audit.
    The second Audit showed over 250 corrupt families. Immediately after I had just "fixed" the original dozen.
    Aaron, PM me your Support Ticket #. I'm going to file a ticket & upload my project. Maybe they can find some commonality.

I'm on Window 1909, but the guy who originally reported it is on 1809.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I'm going to file a ticket & upload my project. Maybe they can find some commonality.
    Or, I would if Autodesk's site wasn't down.

Current Local Time

Ours is doing the EXACT same thing. BTW, if you use the "Delete Types" options, your families are ruined. Because they are used by a FT parameter in the Parent Door. If you delete any family used by a FT parameter, it deletes the PARAMETER from the door, and you cant get it back. LOL. Tread carefully.

Current Local Time
    03:40 AM

Open Design Alliance has an independent SDK that can read, write and visualize Revit files outside of the Revit application. We have a deep understanding of the Revit file format. We would happy to take a look at some of these damaged files to try to assess the problem and see what would be involved with fixing it. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this issue.

Current Local Time
    09:40 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peterson View Post
    Open Design Alliance has an independent SDK that can read, write and visualize Revit files outside of the Revit application. We have a deep understanding of the Revit file format. We would happy to take a look at some of these damaged files to try to assess the problem and see what would be involved with fixing it. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this issue.
    Ok! For non-believers.
    Here is a interesting video

https://youtu.be/5nIpv5VzwO4

Current Local Time

As a moderator, I'm going to let this one slip by (unless I'm overruled), but you're skating mighty close to posting an advertisement, which is not allowed per the Forum Rules (link at the bottom of the page)
    https://revitforum.org/showthread.php/1670-Forum-Rules