Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what can I do in 5 days to familiarize myself with revit before new job?

Current Local Time
    06:24 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    Layers don't exist, instead of that you have categories (walls, windows, floors, structural framing, etc.) that are hard coded into Revit and sub-categories if you want to sub-divide them more which are made by the user or Revit/CAD/BIM manager in the template.
    Revit does do regular dumb lines, just like AutoCAD. These are assigned linestyles, which are similar to layers. It also has filled regions (hatch patterns). While it is not the best practice to draw a lot of lines, and the gurus on forums like this would frown upon in, in real life practice ordinary users do it often. It is of course best to use them as a supplement to proper modeling, they are not a substitute, unless you want a really crappy model. But given it is your first day and you told them you have no experience, familiarizing yourself with drawing lines is not a bad idea, they are not expecting you to be a guru.

Like Robin said, for the smart parametric BIM families you will be using to model, line styles are defined in the object styles (which is universal for the entire model), and then get overridden in each view by visibility and graphic overrides. These behave similarly to layers in AutoCAD, you can change line styles and turn categories on or off entirely. You can also override the linestyles in the visibility and graphics overrides, as well.

I'd suggest downloading a trial copy from Revit and playing around with it. There's no substitute for first hand experience.

Current Local Time
    04:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1979 View Post
    But given it is your first day and you told them you have no experience, familiarizing yourself with drawing lines is not a bad idea, they are not expecting you to be a guru.
    However, knowing both that every firm has their own way of doing things, and understanding that items should be modeled, not drafted in general, I would suggest what their preference is for doing the tasks you are assigned (if they don't tell you). I always tell users that there are very few viable reasons for drawing a dumb line.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by jmk View Post
    However, knowing both that every firm has their own way of doing things, and understanding that items should be modeled, not drafted in general, I would suggest what their preference is for doing the tasks you are assigned (if they don't tell you). I always tell users that there are very few viable reasons for drawing a dumb line.
    You hear things like this a lot on these forums, but in actual practice almost everyone is drawing lines (or using 2D linework detail components) for their details, depending on LOD requirements, and there are lots of "smart" reasons for doing so, including successfully completing a project on time and on budget with an accurate set of drawings that don't look like crap.

Drawing major building components is a huge no no in any situation, but the right process for the right project and the right tools for the right job is my motto. And sometimes getting the drawings to look automatically how you want is just not possible with Revit.

Of course, as a new employee, this is up to your employer to guide you on their processes and requirements, for sure.

Current Local Time
    11:24 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I often encourage new staff to watch the LinkedInLearning (Lynda.com) Revit 2020 Essentials for Architecture course before their first day.

I also like to have people watch an Autodesk University course called "Attention to Detail" on the theory that if you don't know where you're heading for any road will get you there.

Current Local Time

What I'm wondering is for how much longer will it be okay for firms to just hire people who don't know this software? My MEP firm does this routinely and then it becomes the job of everyone in the department to take turns standing in their cubicle and give them personalized 101-level training.

Current Local Time

Likely another 10 years. The people that picked up Revit in the past 5-10 years will be making the business decisions in that length of time.

Current Local Time

You're probably right. I used to be excited about what MEPs could do with Revit but it's slowly dawned on me that the managers in this industry don't know anything about it and don't want to know.

Current Local Time

I'm working in modular design these days. A whole new way to approach things means a lot less stupidity going on. There are no ignorant managers doing this

Current Local Time

How is the new job going?