Thread: Powermachine - Desktop

Current Local Time
    12:57 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cool Powermachine - Desktop

Hello Revtianer,

Our office want to buy a PowerComputer! we want to spent around 2000 - 4000Ç!

It is manly used for a big projekt, opening and converting modells for clashdidection, we will use Revit 2020 and Navisworks 2020.
    The Desktop will be used also for client topics like visting the model with Enscape, twinmotion via VR (OculosRift,...)

For the processor it should be a multi core, each core has to be ****, because (we know) Revit is puting his task only on one core

RAM should minimum 64 GB

Our officehardware is by DELL!

Which workstation can you recoment us? Does anyone have same tasks in the ofice, some expierence? Which compostion of motherboard/processor RAM / VR-Glases can you recomment?

I am glad about any advice

KR

Andreas

Current Local Time
    05:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by andreas2 View Post
    Hello Revtianer,

Our office want to buy a PowerComputer! we want to spent around 2000 - 4000Ç!

It is manly used for a big projekt, opening and converting modells for clashdidection, we will use Revit 2020 and Navisworks 2020.
    The Desktop will be used also for client topics like visting the model with Enscape, twinmotion via VR (OculosRift,...)

For the processor it should be a multi core, each core has to be ****, because (we know) Revit is puting his task only on one core

RAM should minimum 64 GB

Our officehardware is by DELL!

Which workstation can you recoment us? Does anyone have same tasks in the ofice, some expierence? Which compostion of motherboard/processor RAM / VR-Glases can you recomment?

I am glad about any advice

KR

Andreas
    Short Answer: Not a Dell.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I agree with Aaron there, and I would not go with HP or Lenovo or any of those brands either. Get yourself a custom build machine, but I understand that could be difficult if the company REALLY wants a Dell but in the end I'm sure you will be much happier.

Only becasue of Enscape you need a gaming GPU, say a 2080 and as far as I know if you go to any of the big computer companies once you say 'workstation' you will get a Quadro.

Even though shipping a machine from the USA is probably not worth it, check out REMISCS (he's very active on this forum when it comes to computer stats as well) to see what he does and build or get somebody to build something similar.

I got myself a 8086 CPU (clocked to 5Ghz), with 32Gb, 512 Gb M.2 SSD and a 1070ti GPU for around 2700 euro (build it myself) so with a 2080 and more ram and probably a 9900k CPU right now you will stay under 4000 most likely and it will be much better suited for what you need.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; January 17th, 2020 at 07:11 PM.

Current Local Time

You can build a system like that for around 2000,
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VGtNvW

Current Local Time
    03:57 PM

I agree with custom built from a professional but if you ARE limited to dell, see what they offer with an intel i9 9900k or IF YOU MUST a Xeon E-2288G which is basically the Xeon counterpart to the 9900k. Scale down to match budget limitations but this is the best CPU for what you described.

For client VR demos I would say go RTX 2080ti which has 11GB of VRAM, you do not want a bad demo experience to make you look bad in front of a client. If models are simple you can go down from there, no less than a RTX2070/2070 SUPER. The 2080ti is very close to the Quadro RTX6000 which cost $4000 USD vs the $1100 USD on the 2080ti to put it into perspective.

RAM, no need to pay huge premiums for anything faster than 3200mhz if given the option. You should not use less than 2666mhz though. Going above 3200mhz RAM does show benchmark improvements but real world is much harder to notice and usually comes at a premium which could be spent elsewhere into the build where it would make a bigger impact on performance.

Good Luck!

Current Local Time

Thank you very Much! I will discuss it in detail with my IT-Department. KR Andreas