Thread: Specialty Equipment Families and their tags and schedules

Current Local Time
    03:27 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Specialty Equipment Families and their tags and schedules

Hey all,

I'm having trouble with some families, schedules and tags.

Someone in our office crated a family (X) that has a parameter "label" there is an equipment tag (A) that reads this label.

Someone else created a family (Y) that has the same parameter "label", there is a separate tag (B) that reads this label.

So basically if you tag family X with tag A you get the info you want, if you tag it with B you get a question mark and vice versa.

I cannot figure out what the difference between the families, or the tags is.

If these families are included on a schedule it will require two columns, both with the header "Label".

I am still fairly new to family creation, so any guidance you can provide would be invaluable.

Current Local Time
    01:27 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Each label is a shared parameter. They have different guid's in the back end, and can have identical names. If you are using a custom parameter it must be shared to appear in both schedules and tags.

My first question is - do you REALLY need a custom parameter? Why don't the inbuilt parameters like Description or Type Comments not work?

If they have to be a custom parameter every family and tag needs to use the same shared parameter. There should be one shared parameter file everyone pulls from, and I'd export the parameter from one family, use it in the second, and always work with that shared parameter going forward.

Current Local Time

Thanks for the reply Julie. There doesn't need to be a custom parameter, that's just what was created, and what i have to work with. Like I said, I am still new to family creation. There are several families that fall under the "X" type and several that fall under the "Y" type, would it be better to just create the new parameter file and apply it to both types, then, delete the existing Label parameter?

Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The best method depends how ingrained the parameters are in your project(s), and how much information is already in those existing parameters.

I'd most likely use one of two choices, if you have to use the custom parameter (otherwise I'd ignore it and make a new tag reading the Description parameter or similar):
    Quicker - create a new shared parameter with a new name - that way it is easy to make the switch, and do it in all files. Another option, if the
    More aesthetically pleasing, and saving more information - Identify all the families with label 1, and all with label 2. export the parameter with more families and add it to the families that don't have it.

After doing either manually move (or script) moving existing information to the desired parameter (if needed)

Then delete the unused parameters from the families and template. This is tricky if they have the same name and you are keeping one. Either use dynamo to identify and delete the right one, or have a schedule with both, delete one, then undo if you picked incorrectly.

Current Local Time

is there a way to see what parameter file is being used? Is it by project or by family?

Current Local Time
    02:27 AM

Hopefully, you've only got one Shared Parameter File.
    The entire purpose of that file is so there's only "one source of truth" for all parameters.
    It shouldn't be by project or family. It should be one file for your entire office.
    Having multiple SPFs is exactly how you end up with two different parameters with the same name

Current Local Time

And if the source of the files aren't known you won't know what file the parameters come from without manually checking the guid (or using a script). You can export parameters into a shared parameter file if you need to bring an existing parameter into your office shared parameter file.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Hopefully, you've only got one Shared Parameter File.
    The entire purpose of that file is so there's only "one source of truth" for all parameters.
    It shouldn't be by project or family. It should be one file for your entire office.
    Having multiple SPFs is exactly how you end up with two different parameters with the same name
    So where would one tell revit which parameter file to use, if there is more than one? is there a default folder revit is looking at? I assume there is also a default parameter file, that would come with Revit out of the box. how would i reset back to that file, assuming it hasn't been changed?

Current Local Time

Manage ->shared parameters

There isn't a default file OOTB, since Revit thinks it has all the parameters you need built in. You can create a file through that dialog though. Once a family (or schedules) with shared parameters are loaded into the project they will be a part of the project and can be managed under Manage-> project parameters. This is also where you'd select shared parameters and apply them to categories or delete them from your project.

You can't reset shared parameters, but can remove them manually.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Having multiple Shared Parameter files isn't an absolute no-no. Best practice? Arguably. Having multiple SP files with the same parameter doesn't bother Revit one bit cause it's not looking at the names but at the assigned GUID. Also, once the SP has been added to the Project or Family you no longer technically need the SP file for them to do their job. You only need it when adding the SP to a new file and you can always Export the SP from one file to a new file for use in a new project.