Thread: Generic Model Not Showing Cut Material

Junior Member LightingDesignerBrad's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    09:32 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Generic Model Not Showing Cut Material

Hey Guys,

Background:
    I have a generic model that I will place in RCP views. These generic models will then populate a schedule that will have reporting parameters that have different values depending on which family type is placed throughout the project. I am using materials to distinguish between the types because I want to be able to show that material on plan and in a material schedule (its essentially a color coded key/legend).

Steps:
    I created a family from the generic model family template
    It is a rhombus that is 2' tall (extrusion end is +1' and extrusion start is -1').
    It has a shared type parameter attached to it, in the materials and finish category, that I will control from my project.
    I have given it a test color so that I could see what I was doing. The shading is pink, the surface pattern is solid fill and color is pink, and the cut pattern is solid fill and color is pink. When viewing in 3D and plan view of the family editor it shows the pink color as intended.
    My material in the project browser is set to the test color, and the little gray box next to it is assigned the shared parameter.
    I loaded it into my project, and placed on work plane (Level 1, at 0'0"). However, the color is not showing and the rhombus is white with black lines around the edges instead of pink.
    My cut plane is 6" so it should be cutting right through the top. The color is not showing in either floor plan or RCP view...

EDIT: I was messing around and changed that test pink to a brick material and was able to see thebrick patterns, but still no color.

I can only seem to find answers regarding seeing the color in 3D view...
    Theoretically this should work since architecture models have walls that show material and color when cut through.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,
    Last edited by LightingDesignerBrad; January 22nd, 2020 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Hopeful Clarification v2

Current Local Time
    04:32 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Have you checked that the material parameter of your family in the project is assigned to the correct material?
    Last edited by Alex Page; January 21st, 2020 at 11:54 PM.

Current Local Time

Hey Alex,

I have assigned the Test material in the Materials and Finish section of the type property.

The parameter is also loaded into the project parameters.

Current Local Time
    10:32 AM

Do you have any Phase Overrides?

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    08:32 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you've been through a couple of iterations loading the family into your project then you may have established what that material is in the Project and reloading the family is just protecting the original format. Double check Object Styles and V/G overrides are also showing the correct material settings as well as the projects own version of the material.

Current Local Time

Is your Model Display set to Hidden Line? That's what it sounds like if material hatches show up, but the solid color won't.

Current Local Time

Hey Dave,

I do not have any phase overrides. Well I did, cleared them, with no changes unfortunately. I removed my template as well, and made sure everything was check visible and it still isn't working. It is actually half toned now for some reason.

Steve,

I think your solution actually helped another problem that I ran into. I wasnt getting the color to change when I was duplicating the type and changing material. So I saved the family, closed out of the project (without saving), started a new session, and inserted it into the project. Now I can successfully change the color with duplicate types.

If this helps: I opened the Sample Architecture Project and inserted the family in there, and I can see color as intended! So this is causing me to believe that I am having issues with a template of some sort, or there is a visibility setting in their project that I am not using. I tried making a new project with no template at all and I was having the same issues as my own project/template.

Hopefully that leads us to a some new ideas?

PS. How do I change my local time? I am in Colorado and my local time is 7 hours fast.

Current Local Time

Hey Robert,

The colors are showing up in hidden line mode in the sample architectural project and a new project with no template loaded.

Current Local Time

Hey Guys,

I solved my issue! We had our discipline set to Electrical. The generic model is an architectural component. If you are using a discipline that is not architectural, then the architectural elements will be half toned and graphics will be overridden (I believe).

Thanks for all of your help!

Current Local Time

Good to hear! The discipline will bite you if you're not careful. I feel compelled to clarify that it isn't the halftone that makes the color disappear, but the fact that those elements are treated as an underlay in the view.

I misread your OP and thought you were talking about surface patterns, which I've hardly ever set up. I like clean white views, and use filters where I need patterns/color, so I'd convinced myself that color didn't show up in hidden line views. Oops. You learn something new every day.