Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: VPN, worksharing & number of people in the model

  1. #1
    Senior Member DavidLarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10, 2015
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    781
    Current Local Time
    10:53 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!

    VPN, worksharing & number of people in the model

    Does anybody have information if somebody using a VPN to access a work shared project would be effected by the amount of people in the model? We're investigating the feasibility of having people working from home on large projects.

  2. #2
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,882
    Current Local Time
    11:53 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Working over VPN is going to utterly trash some ****. Dont even think about it.

  3. #3
    Member Marcel Jansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Current Local Time
    04:53 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I work remotely to a revit server and this works very good, the download of a new local takes the longest with only 2mb/second but after that, synchronizing every half hour takes a few (10-30) seconds.
    The slow loading comes from the slow connection of the server, but they got fiber now and when that works the connection will be a lot faster.

    PS, the server is 150km away from me, the Netherlands isn't that big

  4. #4
    Moderator Robin Deurloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Holland
    Posts
    1,539
    Current Local Time
    06:53 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjajansen View Post
    I work remotely to a revit server and this works very good, the download of a new local takes the longest with only 2mb/second but after that, synchronizing every half hour takes a few (10-30) seconds.
    The slow loading comes from the slow connection of the server, but they got fiber now and when that works the connection will be a lot faster.

    PS, the server is 150km away from me, the Netherlands isn't that big
    Hey Marcel, fiber should have been there last Saturday, but no . Soon they say !
    I work on the same Revit server as Marcel from time to time from a different location (about 25km from it) and it seems to work fine.

  5. #5
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,882
    Current Local Time
    11:53 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    Hey Marcel, fiber should have been there last Saturday, but no . Soon they say !
    I work on the same Revit server as Marcel from time to time from a different location (about 25km from it) and it seems to work fine.
    Are you using actual Revit Server, or standard worksharing? I would never recommend standard worksharing over VPN. It's amazing if it's working for you guys, but standard work sharing is essentially an ftp file save, and will eventually corrupt working that way.

    RS is a whole different animal, as it's http.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member Marcel Jansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    245
    Current Local Time
    04:53 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Are you using actual Revit Server, or standard worksharing? I would never recommend standard worksharing over VPN. It's amazing if it's working for you guys, but standard work sharing is essentially an ftp file save, and will eventually corrupt working that way.

    RS is a whole different animal, as it's http.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    We use Revit server, but without a local accelerator.

  7. #7
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,882
    Current Local Time
    11:53 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yeah. The entire file setup is different on RS. I personally still wouldn't do it, but supposedly it's safer than with normal worksharing.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Moderator Robin Deurloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Holland
    Posts
    1,539
    Current Local Time
    06:53 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Done a project that way before with the same people and so far it works very well. This new project will be me from home most of the time and probably 2 people at their location (where the server is located). So far no project together with Marcel though

  9. #9
    Junior Member cwasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 9, 2010
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    Posts
    31
    Current Local Time
    11:53 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    My 2 cents, either setup RS with a local accelerator and a site-to-site vpn... Or remote desktop to a computer/client at the mothership and work on Revit from there. I remoted into a box everyday for 6 years as I worked remotely for my firm. Lets just say I got use to it... Definitely not ideal, but you are able to make due as long as you have good bandwidth at your remote location and office.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    December 31, 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3
    Current Local Time
    04:53 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwasher View Post
    My 2 cents, either setup RS with a local accelerator and a site-to-site vpn... Or remote desktop to a computer/client at the mothership and work on Revit from there. I remoted into a box everyday for 6 years as I worked remotely for my firm. Lets just say I got use to it... Definitely not ideal, but you are able to make due as long as you have good bandwidth at your remote location and office.
    I agreed with you and i do a site-to-site vpn. Moreover, the main role of the VPN for remote work is to secure communication between the user and the business computer network.
    Last edited by EvanLee; January 2nd, 2020 at 12:56 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Worksharing Model Errors
    By RLBishop in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 4th, 2015, 05:01 AM
  2. Medical People or People in general - Family Creation
    By steveyoung25 in forum Architecture - Family Creation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 15th, 2015, 07:51 PM
  3. People own elements in a model they haven't opened
    By John McCamont in forum Worksharing, Revit Server & C4R
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
  4. Copy / paste an entire model to eliminate worksharing?
    By lost again again in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 26th, 2012, 02:30 AM
  5. RFO Blog: Sharing your model: GET OVER IT PEOPLE
    By RFO Blog in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2012, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •