Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get area totals for my various building elevation elements?

Current Local Time
    11:28 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How can I get area totals for my various building elevation elements?

I am fairly new to revit, using revit 2019 on a project.

I am looking at a large 10 story building that the client needs square footage totals for various materials including brick/windows/granite.

The elements are colored to represent the final color, there's two tones of brick that they need the separate totals for. Some of the elements are colored grey to represent the granite, need the total for that too. They also want the total glass; some of the windows are actual window elements, some are curtain walls.

I'm currently drawing a hundred different fill areas to grab all these elements and add up the area totals. But is there a more efficient way to do this?

I need these area totals for the whole building but also per view (per elevation) if that's possible.

Thanks for any help on this

Current Local Time
    05:28 PM

assuming everything is modeled correctly you can create a few schedules to get the totals. You will need a way to filter the different colors of brick, so have something in the type comments for example to filter on would work, just mentioning the color in there should do it.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    assuming everything is modeled correctly you can create a few schedules to get the totals. You will need a way to filter the different colors of brick, so have something in the type comments for example to filter on would work, just mentioning the color in there should do it.
    Thanks for the help, can I separate this information by view? We need it per-elevation. Thanks!

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    mmm, in general schedules are for the entire project, but if you really need to you could split them up by adding a parameter to every wall listing the elevation they are on. For example use the Comment parameter in a wall and just type North Facade and South Facade in the wall and filter your schedule on that. This however requires you to really take care of filling in the correct data or the wall will not end up in the right schedule or in any schedule at all. A lot of that could be automated with Dynamo I think.

Maybe somebody in here has a very clever idea to make it a bit less user error prone

Current Local Time

that makes sense, but yeah, we certainly arent going to go chase down every wall type. window type. etc. to add that parameter. Hopefully something comes up to get this data within just a view, or organize it by view/elevation.

Current Local Time

Like I said, Dynamo could help. One thing that comes to mind is place a large in place model around every facade and have dynamo get every wall that is inside that model and fill in the parameter.

And I have done project that way. Not to split up wall types but to split a project by building. Every object in each building needed to get a parameter sa building code so we could filter on that and even export each building as a separate IFC model.

And to be honest even filling in the parameter by hand is most likely faster then calculating everything by hand or placing filled regions especially if thing change.

Current Local Time
    08:28 AM

mmm, in general schedules are for the entire project, but if you really need to you could split them up by adding a parameter to every wall listing the elevation they are on. For example use the Comment parameter in a wall and just type North Facade and South Facade in the wall and filter your schedule on that. This however requires you to really take care of filling in the correct data or the wall will not end up in the right schedule or in any schedule at all. A lot of that could be automated with Dynamo I think.

Maybe somebody in here has a very clever idea to make it a bit less user error prone
    Robin, I did what you stated above a few years back when I had to do something similar. It wasn't too time consuming if you isolate the walls and select multiples at the same time. It also helped that I had already built my exterior walls on an EXTERIOR SKIN workset.

I'd be interested if someone has come up with a different option to do this now that we have Dynamo.

Current Local Time
    01:28 AM

You could also use a material schedules and as above, filter a parameter based on the view.

There's a dynamo node 'is visible in view' (cant remember the exact node name) to do the filtering and all scheduling as well (maybe setup some working views for this with minimum view depth).
    Then write to excel as a full custom format take off for the whole building.
    We do something similar for our area schedules.
    Last edited by elton williams; January 25th, 2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Carnt spel werds

Current Local Time
    04:28 PM

We employ a workflow using a Dynamo script I built that quizzes our (curtain) wall vectors then establishes they're perpindicular (facing) orientation, respective of (true) North then push-populates said values to custom SP to them, and all curtain panels within each, to be reviewed by coloured-in (by filter) views, schedules, and on one showy-off job, via a PowerBI report...

BUT

that's our way of modelling exteriors - near exclusively - using curtain walls over basic walls.

We found (area) values extracted from basic walls, however done and compensated for, simply weren't close to accurate enough for useful takeoff. Essentially, as soon as we respect the fact basic walls are calculated as lines, (and not always along their centres, when considering the different placement methods) then accounting for their thicknesses and auto-joining/healing behaviours, whilst (arguably) negligble, the numbers don't add up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	425.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	38221

BUTT
    Even our method's not perfect, by any means, apart from being dependant on strict adherence to a specific modelling method - and chronic slow (to run the script) it also raises (more) questions -
    https://twitter.com/snowyweston/stat...12679136378881
    that we've so far not answered.
    Last edited by snowyweston; January 26th, 2020 at 04:38 PM. Reason: thought I'd add a piccy

Current Local Time
    08:28 AM

How far off did you find the numbers between the two systems?

I use a similar script to determining areas for ComCheck.