Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is BIM 360 (formerly C4R) what I need?

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    06:09 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirvio View Post
    IF you're not using workshared model and IF you're 100% only one that will work on the model, on two different locations (no simultaneous work in any circumstances), then and only then, dropbox could be the simplest and easiest solution.
    Yeah, I'm the only one that knows how to even open Revit, so that's not an issue. lol
    However, in the off chance I use an engineer (MEP for example) that does use revit, it'd be way easier to use BIM 360 I'm assuming. Or I could just upload the latest model. If a change is made, just upload another model. It could happen, but it'd be rare. Most of the stuff we do is residential and I handle all that. For the rare commercial project it may happen, but nothing an upload couldn't handle probably.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    So I never thought of this. Again, IT is way above my pay grade and, to be honest, my intelligence level. lol So, Put a NAS at each office and sync them through the cloud? Is that what you're saying here? I like that. Sort of like a mirror copy backup except the drives are at two different locations. Am I thinking of that correctly?

We do have one drive and google drive. I tried saving to google drive a few years back, but since revit only keeps whatever number of backups you have set and deletes the old one, I kept getting popups about "file so and so is being removed" or something like that. It was annoying so I quit trying to use google drive.
    With two NAS', you dont tell it to sync, it just does, if you have it set up correctly. We have three, one in each office. All identical, almost in real time.

Would be a few hundred bucks to get it set up (assuming you get the CHEAP ones). And there are still other advantages to BIM360.

But as i said, you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT let anyone touch files from both ends at the same time. But, since Darren isnt in Revit at all, and you move back and forth, its not an issue.

No way in hell i would ever work (in real time) in ANY of the cloud syncing directories (drop box, one drive, box sync, etc). If it works for folks, awesome. Its playing with fire.

Current Local Time
    11:09 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    No way in hell i would ever work (in real time) in ANY of the cloud syncing directories (drop box, one drive, box sync, etc). If it works for folks, awesome. Its playing with fire.
    If you are the only one using the cloud, why wouldn't you use it?
    It works the same as a NAS but online and free with your O365 subscription.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

With two NAS', you dont tell it to sync, it just does, if you have it set up correctly. We have three, one in each office. All identical, almost in real time.

Would be a few hundred bucks to get it set up (assuming you get the CHEAP ones). And there are still other advantages to BIM360.

But as i said, you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT let anyone touch files from both ends at the same time. But, since Darren isnt in Revit at all, and you move back and forth, its not an issue.

Is it easy for me to set up? What NAS would you recommend? Should I do a two drive NAS for an extra layer of backup protection?
    Also, it's not issue for me, but I'm wondering why you went this route with 3 offices and multiple Revit users. How do you control it and make sure nobody touches the files at the same time? Just curious.
    Last edited by dzatto; January 29th, 2020 at 02:47 PM.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    What? Dzatto? the man who "killed Revit" is back!?
    Short answer and advice is: tell your boss to buy two licenses of BIM 360 Design, one for him, one for you.
    that's the first thing I saw when I logged on. I forgot all about that.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Jansen
    If you are the only one using the cloud, why wouldn't you use it?
    It works the same as a NAS but online and free with your O365 subscription.

If it works for you, and you are happy with it, awesome! *I* dont recommend it to my customers, or people asking for my advice. We dont have to agree on that.

Back to Dan:

If it were me (and it isnt, to be clear) i would go bigger, with more data protection. But im also more conservative about my work product, than a lot of others are. For instance, we run in RAID6 here, so i can tolerate a two drive failure on any of the NAS's. But some folks say thats overkill. They also backup offsite to multiple destinations, both in real time and periodically.

Two 2-drive units, set up with mirroring (one drive to the other), lets you tolerate a drive failure, but its pricey, as your paying for twice as much storage as you are getting.

If it were me? i would either do:

1. BIM360.
    2. 2 DS718+'s, and drives. But thats a more pricey model (because its me). You could do something like 2 DS218+'s, and drives. Depending on how much storage you need, the drive prices can vary.

Upsides to approach 2 are that you can handle way more than just Revit files. Downsides are, you still dont get the flexibility of BIM360 and "work from anywhere." But the NAS' will also let you access (for downloading, not live working) the files from anywhere, if you have it set up.

Setting it up isnt super complex, with Synology QuickConnect. Its not "you plug it in and it just works" either, though.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Also, it's not issue for me, but I'm wondering why you went this route with 3 offices and multiple Revit users. How do you control it and make sure nobody touches the files at the same time? Just curious.
    Because Workshared files arent a concern, for us. The majority of the time, we are working on things for clients (templates, libraries, applications, documents, etc) that only one of us are in at a time. The more important aspect of OUR setup, is that the entire companies files are available (and perform well) for everyone. Our footprint isnt massive. Its currently at around 4TB. But thats all sorts of data, not just Central Models.

The moment we have a Modeling job that involves more than one of us (sometimes even when its ONLY one of us) it goes on BIM360, anyway. But that also has other factors: We collaborate with other consultants in models, so working off our own infrastructure isnt happening, regardless. The Arena was on BIM360, the Hotel were on now is on BIM360, the two houses were on now are on BIM360. When we did the house for you guys, it was local, but there were two of us working out of one location, at that time. If it had been two of us in different locations, it would have gone to BIM360. We have those licenses anyway, so it doesnt cost us anything.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Awesome guys. Thanks for the input. I forgot how awesome this forum is.

This gives me at least 3 options to think over. Which is 3 more than I had last night. lol

Current Local Time
    04:09 PM

I've been working as a consultant offsite for one firm for years and we do everything non-work sharing and using Sugarsync. The office has 6 people in it and they SS instead of networking all files so everyone has access from various locations. Never had a major issue doing this. Occasionally SS acts up but nothing keeping us from working or loosing work. Just need to make sure everyone is communicating as to what file they are working (or wanting to) work in. If you do have 2 people working on the same file SS makes a copy of the second one so never loose work, just might need to redo or copy to the original file. Happens once in awhile and you will see the copy show up so that alerts you to this issue. We do mostly multi-story (5 over 1) apartments and several times considered jumping to collaboration thinking we would need to have more than one person in the file but never have had to do it.

Current Local Time
    11:09 PM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]

If it works for you, and you are happy with it, awesome! *I* dont recommend it to my customers, or people asking for my advice. We dont have to agree on that.
    I am not asking if you will agree with me, i am asking why it is bad?
    Maybe i need to switch to a NAS but don't know it yet.