Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is BIM 360 (formerly C4R) what I need?

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Is BIM 360 (formerly C4R) what I need?

Hello all. Been a while since I've wreaked havoc here. I have a few questions about C4R and backups (this may be a little long winded)

So, where to start. I mainly work from home, but will go to the office to design with the boss about once a week or so. Mostly high end one off custom houses, but we throw the occasional commercial building in there to keep it interesting. I'm the only person using Revit and it's been that way since I started using it in 2009ish. So, I never used central files. I can hear the gasps from here.

Right now, I save all files to an external hard drive that is backed up to carbonite in real time. When the boss wants to design together, I just bring my hard drive with me and plug it in at my other computer at his house. It's worked fine for a few years. I've always known in the back of my mind this isn't really the correct way to do things and I was taking a slight risk, but it's always worked for us. I think some of you can tell where this is going...

Today, I went to the other office, did some design work. No biggie. I worked in 3 files. When I got home, I opened one file to continue work and immediately realized all the work I did earlier in the day was gone. Weird. I checked the other two files and they were both gone. Vanished. . That's not good. After googling it seems like this is a thing with WD externals. I wish I had known that. So now I'm freaking out. I can't be losing files and I can't trust this external hard drive anymore.

Okay, so the questions: What about C4R? From what I'm reading, this is exactly what I need. Can it be backed up as well? Or is BIM 360 backed up anyway? Everything I read talks about the central file being in the cloud. Is this the only way it works? Remember, I don't use central files. It's just me. I guess I could start, but I'm really too lazy to redo what I do. lol

Any other suggestions? I basically need to be able to work in two locations and a good way to backup files no matter where I'm working. Right now, carbonite only backs up when the external drive is on my home machine. So if I design something at the other office and something happens before I plug it in back home, It's gone. IT isn't my thing. I just draw sh*t in Revit. So I need some suggestions. It'd also be nice if it didn't cost me 10 grand either. and I need to put one of these since it's been a long while since I've been here.
    Last edited by dzatto; January 29th, 2020 at 12:59 AM.

Current Local Time
    09:49 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    to start off: C4R is now called BIM360 - so forget the C4R term (change the title?)
    Dont worry about central file nervousness: really easy if you dont over complicate (i.e. dont worry about worksets etc) - BIM360 manages central/local file stuff automatically so easier than standard Revit.
    Personally - I love BIM360 and we use it in this office all the time on our projects - whether we are collaborating with other people on BIM360 or not, its worth it for us because of its ease of use at the office, home and during client meetings etc at their office.
    One pain is when we collaborate with other firms who arent using BIM360: one is meant to use Autodesk desktop connector for their files but this doesnt work very well at all
    Versions are backedup in the cloud, and you can download/ backup locally whenever you want.

If its just you on the projects, and the money aspect stacks up, and you have good internet at home, I'd say go for it!

Current Local Time

There are a lot of upsides to BIM360,but I wouldn't use it just to alleviate this stupid situation you find yourself in.

1. If you're working locally, just get a sharefile, or Dropbox, or Box account. NOT to work in actively, just to send yourself the file on the move. Sure, it's a hassle. And it's inconvenient.

But getting on BIM360 just to solve an external hard drive dependency? Seems weird.

2. You should be working in central files whether you work alone or not. And I know I told you this years ago. A sync is WAY faster than a non workshared save. There is NO UPSIDE to working in a nonworkshared file.

Having said that, I like BIM360. It's got upsides. But it's also not free, and it depends on having internet with decent speed. You can't work offline, but that might not be an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

The issue is I never know what we’re working on so I wouldn’t know which files to upload to google or Dropbox or whatever. Boss man tends to be all over the place. I never know what he’ll hit me with next. Lol. So maybe BIM 360 isn’t really what I need, but what else is there that will let me work at two locations seamlessly while minimizing the risk of losing a file? Today I worked on minimal stuff so I can recreate it pretty easily. I’ve already downloaded the latest save files from carbonite. But sometimes it’s a whole days worth of design in on one project. I can’t lose that.

And yeah Aaron, I remember you telling me a long time ago to start using central files. I didn’t listen to ya. . I’ll look into it again.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    The issue is I never know what were working on so I wouldnt know which files to upload to google or Dropbox or whatever. Boss man tends to be all over the place. I never know what hell hit me with next. Lol. So maybe BIM 360 isnt really what I need, but what else is there that will let me work at two locations seamlessly while minimizing the risk of losing a file? Today I worked on minimal stuff so I can recreate it pretty easily. Ive already downloaded the latest save files from carbonite. But sometimes its a whole days worth of design in on one project. I cant lose that.

And yeah Aaron, I remember you telling me a long time ago to start using central files. I didnt listen to ya. . Ill look into it again.
    File replication. Doable with a couple of cheap NAS devices,as long as NO ONE ever tries to edit from both locations at the same time. Hell. Two 2 bay NAS's, and the free CloudStationSync app, and internet. All done.

Or hosting EVERYTHING "up" and then pulling them "down" to work WHEN he decides to work on something.

I mean, or bim360. But creating a project for every project, and uploading all those models just in case... Gross.

Current Local Time
    08:49 PM

I use Onedrive in the Office365 package for this and it works very good for me.

If you have to do some work with the boss you can just login and download the file you need. After editing you just upload it again.

For backup i use another computer in another location which synchronizes with O365 and i also make a copy of all my files to a harddrive every week.
    5 years going now and haven't lost a file
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; January 29th, 2020 at 06:19 AM.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What? Dzatto? the man who "killed Revit" is back!?
    Short answer and advice is: tell your boss to buy two licenses of BIM 360 Design, one for him, one for you.

Current Local Time
    06:49 AM

BIM360 all the way here. And we have to deal with sh!tty internet speeds in Aus. I work remotely and i can revit (sync) anywhere i have a connection.
    As Aaron said it costs sure, but for us its cheaper than running around putting out fires or wasting hours trying to recover lost work. Project setup time is a thing but unless you're working with multiple consultant models and using the publish features and teams stuff it's pretty basic. Bit of a learning curve at first to get going but once you get the hang of it it's not so bad.
    Basically, if you've got a net connection you're good to go from anywhere.

Current Local Time
    10:49 PM

IF you're not using workshared model and IF you're 100% only one that will work on the model, on two different locations (no simultaneous work in any circumstances), then and only then, dropbox could be the simplest and easiest solution.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    File replication. Doable with a couple of cheap NAS devices,as long as NO ONE ever tries to edit from both locations at the same time. Hell. Two 2 bay NAS's, and the free CloudStationSync app, and internet. All done.

Or hosting EVERYTHING "up" and then pulling them "down" to work WHEN he decides to work on something.

I mean, or bim360. But creating a project for every project, and uploading all those models just in case... Gross.

So I never thought of this. Again, IT is way above my pay grade and, to be honest, my intelligence level. lol So, Put a NAS at each office and sync them through the cloud? Is that what you're saying here? I like that. Sort of like a mirror copy backup except the drives are at two different locations. Am I thinking of that correctly?

We do have one drive and google drive. I tried saving to google drive a few years back, but since revit only keeps whatever number of backups you have set and deletes the old one, I kept getting popups about "file so and so is being removed" or something like that. It was annoying so I quit trying to use google drive.