Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surface Pro + Pen + Drawboard

Current Local Time
    03:54 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    I've been eyeing up getting some Dell P2418HT for a few folk here to see if it'd move them to (more) digital markup
    It doesn't support a pen though does it?

Current Local Time
    02:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tzframpton View Post
    Tried to go Bluebeam on it originally and that was a disaster. Literal disaster. The tablet environment is horrible, couldn't get the pen settings right, it cannot pan/zoom without redraw and flickering issues, and cannot draw a markup line that's worth anything. Bluebeam is so bad right now I'm seriously going to just do away with it and find something else.
    I need to clarify my above statement for future thread readers: this statement was for version 2018.X. I just installed my 2019.0.2 Bluebeam upgrade and the performance meets and even exceeds my expectations for use of the Surface Pro 7 and Pen. The Pen tool works the way it should, the pan and zoom with touch (pinch, swipe and expand) movements shows no lag and the redraw/flickering issues seemed to have gone away.

Well done Bluebeam, however, with the loss in productivity, time spent on the phone with support and instability woes for an entire year with version 2018.X, I truly feel like a partial or full refund of my upgrade licenses is completely justified.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I need to clarify my above statement for future thread readers: this statement was for version 2018.X. I just installed my 2019.0.2 Bluebeam upgrade and the performance meets and even exceeds my expectations for use of the Surface Pro 7 and Pen. The Pen tool works the way it should, the pan and zoom with touch (pinch, swipe and expand) movements shows no lag and the redraw/flickering issues seemed to have gone away.

Well done Bluebeam, however, with the loss in productivity, time spent on the phone with support and instability woes for an entire year with version 2018.X, I truly feel like a partial or full refund of my upgrade licenses is completely justified.
    This. Our yearly upgrade cycle was such that they wanted my money right AFTER we got 2019.0.20 installed.

I agree, the performance in 2019 is amazing. But it was amazing (and broken) for the last few we had it, and 2018 was broken before that. So- luck if the calendar, i guess- we installed our 2019.0.20 upgrades, and then didnt renew.

If something changes my mind in the next 12 months, AND they waive the *re-entry* fee, we will consider sticking with it. Otherwise, i can ride on 2019 for a few years. Its disrupted our flow too much this year, for them to get any more money from me.

Current Local Time

The Pen is still my favorite thing. I've configured the Pen to access three different programs with the eraser button click combos. So efficient. Also, the kickstand on this surface is practically mastered. It is sturdy and it folds almost all the way back, but not all the way, so you can have about a 5 degree tilt from the desk or table you're working on, giving a very natural environment for writing.

In case anyone should doubt your CAD guy street cred, this should prove it. Lmao

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I used a pair of Surface Hub's at a clients GC's office, and they were fantastic. But honestly... they are all (JMHO) still just novelties, for the cost. It really doesnt take that long- nor is it that inconvenient- for me to work without a pen. And if i need a pen- god forbid- i sketch something on a physical notepad.

30k just to draw on a screen, is stupid.
    True one GC I worked with had a set of large interactive touch screens. It was a total waste even though it had a lot of features. None of the subs found it really helpful over Bluebeam and paper.

Current Local Time

I'll add this just for the reason of other people viewing this thread. My sudden interest in all this is because of the following reasons:

I have been contemplating buying a large format printer for my office because paper prints for QAQC processes such as redline markups or highlighting scopes from our shop drawings comparatively to the set of contract drawings is still the best way to catch every single little thing... things that most people don't consider who aren't directly in the industry.

I can get a leased Oce for about $10k, in which we could print to 24x18 half sized to do our final QAQC processes on. I have been banging this around for a while. Or, I can buy a Studio 2 + Drawboard for half the cost of a used plotter, not deal with paper and toner, invest in Bullclip (potentially), and we roll forward in the 21st century.

Again, nothing beats a good 'ol fashioned QAQC redline check for our type of business, so unless a custom program that's configurable comes out that does this process for us, this is a key element to our current process.

-TZ
    I tend to relate, but with many foremen going digital, design reviews have been good without any paper. Enjoyed reading. Thanks. I'll be looking into the Surface Pro.

Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have the 2017 Surface and have really loved it since I started using it. Using the pen to be able to mark up pdf's has been a really great experience. I've been using Bluebeam 2016 for this and haven't upgraded it because of all the issues everyone seems to have had. But now I think I might give Drawboard a try. Bluebeam almost seems to heavy for the simple mark ups I'm doing. I don't use any of the heavy duty Revu features.

I have loved the form factor of the Surface. How thin it is. How I can flip around or detach the keyboard. How much I like typing on that soft keyboard. The kickstand. And the fact that its a full windows machine and not some glorified giant phone. I even have Revit 2020 installed on it and it runs just fine to show a client a model for the type of work we do.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ferrell View Post
    But now I think I might give Drawboard a try.
    I'm telling you - you will not be disappointed and you'll wonder why you've been scribbling on Bluebeam all this time. Drawboard is the flagship PDF markup app and nothing else compares to it.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Alright, so another update. Now that I've used Bluebeam 2019.0.2 for a bit, here's my updated assessment:

1. The performance exceeds my expectation as a Desktop app, however as a Tablet app it does not. It doesn't even meet my expectation and here's why:
    The pinch/swipe has a delay that is enough that you notice it, and it kind of bugs you even though it's a minor thing. It lags a bit and your natural response is to "press harder" or "pinch/swipe more thorough" which doesn't actually do anything so it throws off the flow. Drawboard PDF zips around and zooms much more fluidly and is far more responsive.

2. The Pen markup redlines are actually not as good as I originally was thinking, although this is very minor. Here's why:
    The responsiveness is almost where it needs to be. So close to being perfect like Drawboard but not quite there. It's so close it's beyond the point where it bugs you but JUST enough to not be "spot on". Now, the actual linework is not where it needs to be. Drawboard has rounded edges and Bluebeam has a hard flat end - sort of like AutoCAD's linetype end options where it's a polyline with a flat end, very similar. This may be a setting that I haven't found yet. Also, Drawboard - if I were to guess - sort of calculates the pressure and flow of the movement and smooths it out very nicely but still has the subtle ripples of a hand motion so it still looks normal. Bluebeam shows way too much "ripple" so you get a very wavy line. Also, the start and stop of quick handwriting is harder on Bluebeam's engine. There are omissions and slips if you write fast and swift, where as Drawboard nails it almost flawlessly.

So, while I still give Bluebeam it's deserved recognition I will say that Drawboard PDF still has it beat for Tablet and Pen use. The main reason is Drawboard was built for a Tablet environment, but there's two parts: there's the menu and interface, which totally spanks Bluebeam's, but the performance of the Pen and Navigation are pretty close although Drawboard wins - not spanks BB's but doesn't edge BB out either - just a solid "win".

I'll continue to update this thread as things come to me. Hope all has benefited from this.

-TZ
    Last edited by tzframpton; February 13th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.