Thread: Random tiles in Revit with Dynamo

Current Local Time
    07:16 AM

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Random tiles in Revit with Dynamo

A post about Revit, family creation, architecture and Dynamo, but mostly fun, so the Out There section kinda fits it I guess.

Been working with one of my clients toward the permits for a 5000 m2 office building for a Dutch real estate origination. The facades of that building are supposed to be made with ceramic tiles in 3 colors placed in a random way all over the facade. We started out with a texture but because of all sorts of things that ended up in a big mess and took ages to get right. So, in the end we modeled all the separate tiles and I build a Dynamo script to randomize the tile colors. Ended up with over 5000 tiles in 3 random colors and it is all surprisingly smooth working with it (not my kick ass workstation but a laptop provided by my client, which is not bad at all). Not done yet, but getting there.

Well, kinda wanted to brag about it a bit, so there you have it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiles building.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	38245

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    01:16 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Instead of modeling 5000+ tiles, wouldn't it be more efficient to do the facade with a divided surface and a pattern-based family, and then randomize the color of the tile / pattern based family?

Current Local Time

To be honest I don't think I really done anything much with pattern-based families, so it did not occur to me to use them.

But even though the tiles look the same in that elevation view there are a lot of different tiles in there.

The tiles also go around the corners towards the window and that can happen on either 1 or 2 sides, the corner of the building is a different tile (different length) and there are numerous tiles that are cut to size to fit the building.

It was a bit of work of course, but basically create one columns of tiles, array that over the building, delete tiles where there are windows and exchange the tiles that are 'special'
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; January 31st, 2020 at 10:38 AM.

Current Local Time
    10:16 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ive done this with Curtain Wall. I know others prefer the piece-by-piece approach. So far the CW method has worked well for me.

Current Local Time
    12:16 AM

I would do it with standalone families or Revit curtain wall 1000 times before i would do it with Divided Surface. DS makes a ton of sense for a complex form, specifically with double curves and non vertical items. But to even use DS, you would be married to the massing environment, which (again) makes sense for certain types of buildings. Not so much on the type of building you were working on.

The standalone families vs RCW thing is just personal preference. Regardless of which way i would do it, i wouldnt beat up a project team that wanted to use either of the methods... As long as both teams were committed to making all of the corner conditions work correctly. (I say that because when teams think they are crafty for *abusing* the curtain wall tool, it also tends to mean they dont mind "just drafting" the complex corner conditions, which is the real reason i typically dont use RCW all that much for things like this.)

Regardless, looks good, dude!!!

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yeah CW's was something else I thought of, but went with GM's because of all the patching up that needed to be done in corners and at windows.

Current Local Time
    10:16 PM

It's not at all uncommon for most of the CWPs to be non-typed to the CW for this effort. What I like most about using CW is being able to update an entire row/column a the same time since that's typically what's desired. Being able to nest CW is another benefit, IMO.