Thread: Sections not cutting where I want

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    11:47 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sections not cutting where I want

Hi There.

I have a peculiar and somewhat random problem with trying to create sections.

Here's my scenario:
    I have a 35m long portal frame building with portals spaced at roughly 7m spacing. The portals are on grid lines A to G.
    I have an elevation of a portal frame on grid line C, the section is far clipped just beyond the portal frame (approx 1m), so far so good.
    In that elevation view I have a callout view of the knee detail, lets call this callout 1. This is linked to the parent view ie same clipping settings etc. Still good so far.
    While annotating callout 1, I decide I want another view of the knee, looking sideways (either way has the same effect). As soon as I draw the section, it dissapears from view and revit warns me the section is not visible in this view. (OK so there are several possible reasons for this and I know this section should be visible ie it's not filtered out or anything).
    In the project browser, I can see the section has shown up where I expect it to with it's default name "Section 8".
    Now remember the view I cut the section from was on grid line C.
    I open the Section 8 view and surprise! it's cutting grid line N which is the farthest away grid line in another part of the building.
    I stretch the view extents back to where I want it and it now shows up in callout 1 as I want.

I seem to randomly get this behaviour however it is repeatable on this particular set of views.

Please Help.

If it would help I'll see if I can make a cut-down copy of the model to share.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

Bump....

I have attached a cut-down model to demonstrate the problem. Open the portal elevation view then try and cut a section through it and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    02:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo99 View Post
    Bump....

I have attached a cut-down model to demonstrate the problem. Open the portal elevation view then try and cut a section through it and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks
    Revit is using the walls to determine the extents of the model. It is essentially not seeing your framing members when it looks for the closest element to cut in that direction, and finds the wall first.

They do this check to make sure you don't end up creating a section in empty space, which can be disorienting. I also suspect that this is part of the reason why there is a "Framing Section" command which works differently.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by ocrender View Post
    Revit is using the walls to determine the extents of the model. It is essentially not seeing your framing members when it looks for the closest element to cut in that direction, and finds the wall first.

They do this check to make sure you don't end up creating a section in empty space, which can be disorienting. I also suspect that this is part of the reason why there is a "Framing Section" command which works differently.
    Hmmm, interesting. I can't see any reference to the "Framing Section" command. How do I invoke it?

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Hmmm, interesting. I can't see any reference to the "Framing Section" command. How do I invoke it?
    Sorry, I meant "Framing Elevation."

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Sorry, I meant "Framing Elevation."
    Still not sure what you're referring to.

Are you referring to the view types in the model? Those are our custom types that control view templates and callout types etc. but have no effect on where the section is cut.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Still not sure what you're referring to.

Are you referring to the view types in the model? Those are our custom types that control view templates and callout types etc. but have no effect on where the section is cut.
    Framing Elevations are a command in the software that you can look up. (Hint: it is a drop down in the bottom of the regular Elevation command).

I described why this is happening in my first reply. What is the part you don't understand? It is regular behavior. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Your file is just very empty, and the section looks for walls, floor, roofs, etc. when it figures out where to fit the view region of the new section. It does not look for framing elements, which is why it jumps all the way to grid line N.

If you use a "Framing Elevation" (from the "view" ribbon) it asks you to select a grid first, so it uses that as a guide to understand where the cut should go.

Otherwise, open the section that gets created way out in space (from the Project Browser), turn off view cropping, and grip edit the view crop to the left so it is where you want, and turn on the crop again.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Framing Elevations are a command in the software that you can look up. (Hint: it is a drop down in the bottom of the regular Elevation command).

I described why this is happening in my first reply. What is the part you don't understand? It is regular behavior. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Your file is just very empty, and the section looks for walls, floor, roofs, etc. when it figures out where to fit the view region of the new section. It does not look for framing elements, which is why it jumps all the way to grid line N.

If you use a "Framing Elevation" (from the "view" ribbon) it asks you to select a grid first, so it uses that as a guide to understand where the cut should go.

Otherwise, open the section that gets created way out in space (from the Project Browser), turn off view cropping, and grip edit the view crop to the left so it is where you want, and turn on the crop again.
    OK, now im getting somewhere. I have a section view type called "Framing Elevation" hence the confusion.

I didn't know of the framing elevation as we use cross sections to show our frame elevations. It makes no difference though, the framing elevation behaves the same way as the section does in this scenario.

I do see what it is doing now, however it doesn't make sense to me. If I cut a section from within a view, I want the section to intersect the view I cut it from, not some wall off in the distance. Incidentally if I delete the wall in the distance then create the section the section does intersect the elevation view however the scope box width runs the full length of the model (probably because revit can't find a wall to use as a boundary). This behavior is another gripe I have that I couldn't find a solution to.

Cheers

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

OK, now im getting somewhere. I have a section view type called "Framing Elevation" hence the confusion.

I didn't know of the framing elevation as we use cross sections to show our frame elevations. It makes no difference though, the framing elevation behaves the same way as the section does in this scenario.

I do see what it is doing now, however it doesn't make sense to me. If I cut a section from within a view, I want the section to intersect the view I cut it from, not some wall off in the distance. Incidentally if I delete the wall in the distance then create the section the section does intersect the elevation view however the scope box width runs the full length of the model (probably because revit can't find a wall to use as a boundary). This behavior is another gripe I have that I couldn't find a solution to.

Cheers
    Glad you got it sorted. Yes, some of this behavior is quirky, but you just end up having to get used ot it and move on in order to be productive.