Thread: Batch Copy/Monitor Electrical Fixtures

Current Local Time
    07:22 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Batch Copy/Monitor Electrical Fixtures

Just checking with anyone here if the copy/monitor function has been cleaned up.

I'm doing a riser job and I need to see the electrical fixtures to plan my sleeves.

Unfortunately it looks like the architect set it as invisible in plan.

I though if I could grab all of them via copy/monitor, I could just fix the check box and reload and be done with it.

The good news is, they're coordinated and set, however they are wall hosted so I don't think I can copy/paste.

Thanks for any insight.

Current Local Time

Have you tried copy/paste aligned to current view? You will lose the hosting but they should get placed correctly.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by RobDraw View Post
    Have you tried copy/paste aligned to current view? You will lose the hosting but they should get placed correctly.
    Thanks Rob, will give that a try.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by RobDraw View Post
    Tried twice and it didn't work, but I do appreciate your suggestion.

I ended up modifying a downloaded copy of the architect's model, migrating all electrical fixtures to their electrical workset. I found it really easy to make a box and insert it into all the wall receptacles, and align to the inside portion of the wall host in the family. Before closing, I exported a 3D view of just elec fixtures to Navis. Clash test BOOM. got it. Save and link into my model with all their worksets closed except the electrical. Revit linking works but the Navis was enough really. Not sure if the size of the 2nd arch model is affecting my speed today, but it's noticably slower. Might remove the link soon. Definitely a unique workaround (for me at least).

Current Local Time
    11:22 PM

When you say "Unfortunately it looks like the architect set it as invisible in plan."

What do you mean by this? You mean in the family the architect has used, they have chosen to make the geometry 'not visible' in plan views? If so, why on earth would they do that?!

Current Local Time

Because electrical is often symbol based. Hiding the 3D geometry is quite common.

Current Local Time
    04:22 PM

Makes more sense, as an architect, to hide the symbology. I do want to see the fixture itself but the symbols get in the way and I dont need to, shouldnt, show them.

If I could wave a wand the symbol would only be visible at coarse detail level with geometry visible at medium/fine. This way we both get what we want view may with geometry only for me, views with symboling for you. If I need to see symbology in some areas I can tag it.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Makes more sense, as an architect, to hide the symbology. I do want to see the fixture itself but the symbols get in the way and I don’t need to, shouldn’t, show them.

If I could wave a wand the symbol would only be visible at coarse detail level with geometry visible at medium/fine. This way we both get what we want — view may with geometry only for me, views with symboling for you. If I need to see symbology in some areas I can tag it.
    What makes sense to someone won't work for others. Your magic want is the family editor.

Current Local Time
    04:22 PM

Batch Copy/Monitor Electrical Fixtures

Last edited by GMcDowellJr; February 28th, 2020 at 02:22 AM.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Makes more sense, as an architect, to hide the symbology. I do want to see the fixture itself but the symbols get in the way and I dont need to, shouldnt, show them.

If I could wave a wand the symbol would only be visible at coarse detail level with geometry visible at medium/fine. This way we both get what we want view may with geometry only for me, views with symboling for you. If I need to see symbology in some areas I can tag it.
    That's what they should have done, and what I was discussing with their BIM manager but the lady in charge keeps cutting into the BIM discussions and stopping all progress.