Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door family strategy

1.    #11
    Current Local Time
    01:11 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    It's not more error free. LOL.

I've seen manufacturers doors, before. We don't have to agree. Was just chiming in to point out that MOST folks aren't going to succeed using manufacturer stuff.

Like I said, if you are happy with it... Great!

They are useless, where I'm from... And in every country that I work in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Im interested in your manufacturer doors, can i download them somewhere?

Here are 2 examples of the doors we use here.

And i have made my own door family's once, for wooden doors witch we make ourself in the workshop.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Modderhoop; February 8th, 2020 at 10:08 AM.

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    06:11 PM

Can you download ours? No.

The point is,they can represent many manufacturers doors. Show me a manufacturers cut sheet (not a Revit family. I don't care about those) that you think (for some reason) can't be shown by a non manufacturer family, ND I'll show you a screen shot that says it can.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time

Can you download ours? No.

The point is,they can represent many manufacturers doors. Show me a manufacturers cut sheet (not a Revit family. I don't care about those) that you think (for some reason) can't be shown by a non manufacturer family, ND I'll show you a screen shot that says it can.

For the doors i meant the manufacturer doors you discribe as terrible. was just curious to look at them.

Im not trying to prove to you thaot mat you can make the manufacturers doors yourself. But that its way better to just use the models they provide. Since the door familys are pretty good where i live, it saves us a lot of time just taking the manufacturers models. Also they have more manufacturer specific information in them. when working towards BIM models, thats an important factor.

I tend to use my own generic models where theres not that much information needed, and only a location.

Sure i could make my own door familys, you would just need to make it so the dimentions are linked to a manufacturer parameter you can select in the family. otherwise you would be editing a lot of parameters every time you use the doors.

Here are a few doors witch are most common where we live:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	38302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	38303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	38304

And just to make clear. im not trying to argue with you, just curious.

4.    #14
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I'm not new at "working towards BIM." Having all the junk that manufacturers put in their families as "data" does not make their families more useful or valuable than a custom built generic door family with parameters alterations to match a specific door.

And yes: Looking at those cut sheets, our non-manufacturer doors could represent both of those, in less than five minutes of parameter adjustments.

There is nothing special about those doors requiring a custom family.

5.    #15
    Current Local Time

I'm not new at "working towards BIM." Having all the junk that manufacturers put in their families as "data" does not make their families more useful or valuable than a custom built generic door family with parameters alterations to match a specific door.

And yes: Looking at those cut sheets, our non-manufacturer doors could represent both of those, in less than five minutes of parameter adjustments.

There is nothing special about those doors requiring a custom family.

Well sure, but i have better ways to spend my time at work than to create something that has already been done. If i would make those family's they would most likely be worse anyway.

And just to be clear, our doors are not like the familys found on websites like bimobject witch have 300 text shared pamameters saying the same thing. They are as clean as my own familys. But its still nice to have more info on what kind of profile is used ect..
    Last edited by Modderhoop; February 8th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

6.    #16
    Current Local Time

You spend the same (or more) time digging through manufacturers sites to find those doors,than I spend editing parameters (not editing families) to make.it represent that doors.

Regardless, we don't have to agree.

*I* recommend the OP not waste their time on manufacturers doors. Hence, I outlined a proven strategy for building doors. I can guarantee we spend less time managing and using doors, than it would take to hunt down manufacturers items, and then get them all to schedule correctly.

We're just polluting the thread now. Have fun with your manufacturers doors, and I'll have fun without them. Said my piece, already.

7.    #17
    Current Local Time
    12:11 AM

I'm not going to argue that good manufacturer's BIM content can't be found if you look hard enough, but my experience over many years in this game bears out what Aaron is saying. As a general rule, I've found that manufacturer's content is not great and much of it is absolutely abominable. It is almost always preferable to craft your own or find a good independent generic source.

Even when you do find something that, on the face of it, appears usable there is a high chance that at some point that you will need to modify or replace it with another manufacturer's version. Both of these bringing many potential issues.

Case in point - I had just one sectional overhead door on a project, but the manufacturer finally chosen by the contractor did not produce BIM content. I found an alternative that seemed close enough and used that. Came time to issue the as-constructed data and the overhead track position in the model did not correspond to the position in the point cloud survey by 128mm. The contractor insisted that this was corrected and rejected our model. It was the only correction required in the architectural model for as-constructed state! But the family that I had used was so complex and formula driven that there was no way to unpick what was driving the track position without breaking the model. I wasted hours trying to achieve the required result before giving up and modelling a new family from scratch. Exactly what I should have done all along...

8.    #18
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by john.warburton View Post
    It was the only correction required in the architectural model for as-constructed state!
    well bloody done!!!! We dont even entertain the idea of doing "as constructed models" (mainly because we dont agree with what's been built in a lot of cases!!) however if that was the only change you've done a brilliant job!!

9.    #19
    Current Local Time
    07:11 PM

What Aaron said in his first post is generally what all door content should eventually be.

The hardest thing about using manufacturer door content is that there is no 'one way' to develop certain kinds of revit content. Everybody has different needs and wants, and some manufacturers get too focused on certain aspects and forget to improve others. I know when I was doing work with some clients, I knew in the back of my head that what I was putting out was at least workable, or at most salvageable, but was not going to meet all the needs of every user.

10.    #20
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    but was not going to meet all the needs of every user.
    and this is what it boils down to IMHO. if manufacturer stuff meets your needs (and the end user) then fine. If creating your own family meets your needs then fine. There isnt a one-size fits all answer, most people will find a bespoke family is best for them but there is certainly a market out there for manufacturer created families especially if they get scheduled out via COBie and you need to include manufacturer parameters anyway.