Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Door family strategy

1.    #31
    Current Local Time
    07:38 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    because their component is such a raging pile of donkey sh*t that it shouldnt even be in a building model. So you dont end up at the "same result" when you compare the two roads. The KONE component also supersedes the ability to schedule doors properly, and fire rate walls properly (because it requires one massive wall full height) and so on.
    but not all manufaturer's stuff is "a raging pile of donkey sh*t" just as not all bespoke stuff is amazing.

also you must have bad KONE BIM models in the US as ours arent like that in the UK.

2.    #32
    Current Local Time
    01:38 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Mileage may vary, I suppose. :shrug:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3.    #33
    Current Local Time
    12:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    And yes, at THAT point, i found it funny. So i added a "lol." "BTW," adding in a "lot" of "quotes" isnt "adding" any more "value" than me adding a "lol" except at least the "lol" actually "conveyed" a "feeling" i was actually "feeling." Not sure what all the "quotes" are meant to "imply."
    You. Need. Some. Periods. For. "Emphasis". Carry. On.

4.    #34
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheinaranta View Post
    You. Need. Some. Periods. For. "Emphasis". Carry. On.
    L.O.L.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5.    #35
    Current Local Time

Yeah I usually try to stay away from manufacturer stuff, except in specific instances where I'm specifying a specific product, and that manufacturer has a family for said product that I determine will work for my needs. In that case my time is better spent elsewhere than creating that product when it's already been created. An elevator is one example, since we usually design around a specific elevator manufacturer and model. It's usually Thyssen-Krupp since they're local, and their Revit content is usually pretty decent.

But doors and windows I try to keep as generic as possible. I've made a few updates to doors over the years. I actually created doors with hollow metal frames for this office, back when the only Revit stock doors had were face-applied casing. And back then we had separate door families for different sizes of glass panels! I combined those into fewer families, but I've never dived into the whole nested shared family stuff for doors. Maybe some day I will, but not in the near future. Maybe when we're less busy...

6.    #36
    Current Local Time
    12:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Yeah I usually try to stay away from manufacturer stuff, except in specific instances where I'm specifying a specific product, and that manufacturer has a family for said product that I determine will work for my needs
    Nanawall, Bodrick and Bilco are the only manufacturers that I like. Their families get the job done. Pretty much everything else for architecture is crap.

7.    #37
    Current Local Time

We had a project where someone used a couple of Nanawall folding panel "doors"
    The team asked me to "just make a couple of modifications" - like changing the number of panels, the panel size, and the overall width.
    I refused.
    Besides the complexity of the family, I have no idea if Nanawall can even make a door with the specs they asked for.

8.    #38
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We had a project where someone used a couple of Nanawall folding panel "doors"
    The team asked me to "just make a couple of modifications" - like changing the number of panels, the panel size, and the overall width.
    I refused.
    Besides the complexity of the family, I have no idea if Nanawall can even make a door with the specs they asked for.
    lol... REminds me of the Modernfold stackable partition component, from their website. Has a formula and an array that builds the stack depth as you stretch it across the room. Except... the math is wrong. And it makes the stack the wrong depth.

Im sure theyve fixed it by now, as that was years ago. But thats why i have one in my library. Got tired of people assuming "because the manufacturer built it, its right."