Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door family strategy

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Door family strategy

Hey folks, I've been thinking about changing our door family strategy and was wondering what others have done. We currently have a large door library that we've used for many years, but looking at the latest doors in the 2020 content have me thinking that we should update our strategy.

Since we do mostly commercial work, we very rarely use pre-hung doors, like residential interior doors, with casing applied to each side of the wall. We almost always use hollow metal frame doors, so our library looks something like this:

Flush door with butt (masonry) frame
    Flush door with wrap (gyp board) frame
    Glass door with butt frame (various glass configurations in the family)
    Glass door with wrap frame (various glass configurations in the family)

Then the same 4 families again for double doors.

And then again 4 more families for single and double glass doors with muntins ("French" doors), for each frame type.

I know it's possible to combine some of these together using various parameters and formulas. I could probably combine all the flush doors into one family for single and one for double doors. And the same for the glass doors. And even the flush and glass doors could be combined into a single family if I wanted to take the time.

But how far does one take it? The more stuff combined into a single family, the heavier it gets. So I'm wondering what would be a better strategy? It appears the stock 2020 families have the GB and Masonry frame types combined, so maybe I should just do it that way.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

Parent Doors.

Nested Swappable Shared Frames
    Nested Swappable Shared Panels
    Nested Swappable Shared Clearances
    Nested Swappable Shared Hardware
    Nested Shared Swings

Its 100% not a factual statement that "making this all possible in one family" makes the family heavier. Its 100% a true statement that when people do it (who dont know how), the family gets heavy and terrible. There is an entire thread devoted to this, referencing some super old doors i posted, that are (mostly) set up this way. Except back then they didnt have HW and Clearances.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    09:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Hey folks, I've been thinking about changing our door family strategy and was wondering what others have done. We currently have a large door library that we've used for many years, but looking at the latest doors in the 2020 content have me thinking that we should update our strategy.

Since we do mostly commercial work, we very rarely use pre-hung doors, like residential interior doors, with casing applied to each side of the wall. We almost always use hollow metal frame doors, so our library looks something like this:

Flush door with butt (masonry) frame
    Flush door with wrap (gyp board) frame
    Glass door with butt frame (various glass configurations in the family)
    Glass door with wrap frame (various glass configurations in the family)

Then the same 4 families again for double doors.

And then again 4 more families for single and double glass doors with muntins ("French" doors), for each frame type.

I know it's possible to combine some of these together using various parameters and formulas. I could probably combine all the flush doors into one family for single and one for double doors. And the same for the glass doors. And even the flush and glass doors could be combined into a single family if I wanted to take the time.

But how far does one take it? The more stuff combined into a single family, the heavier it gets. So I'm wondering what would be a better strategy? It appears the stock 2020 families have the GB and Masonry frame types combined, so maybe I should just do it that way.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Your door manufacturer doenst provide models?
    Most big Dutch manufacturers have them. Some really good family's as well.

You should just make 1 family for the single door, 1 for the double door, and 1 for the ''French" doors.
    depending on the level of detail you could most likely use the same door panels for all family's, and make 1 family with the door panel with all glas combo's i have seen people do that, you can use offset voids to get multiple configs. it can be complicated to set up but if its works its very nice to use.

If i remember i might send one of those door panels in this thread.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    Your door manufacturer doenst provide models?
    Most big Dutch manufacturers have them. Some really good family's as well.

You should just make 1 family for the single door, 1 for the double door, and 1 for the ''French" doors.
    depending on the level of detail you could most likely use the same door panels for all family's, and make 1 family with the door panel with all glas combo's i have seen people do that, you can use offset voids to get multiple configs. it can be complicated to set up but if its works its very nice to use.

If i remember i might send one of those door panels in this thread.
    No offense meant, but: The concept of using Door Manufacturers content in Revit, is pretty much a joke.

No standards alignment, lousy quality components, overly populated with junk and underly populated with things people care about it Design.

No one interested in doing a good job is using manufacturers content, for Doors.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    No offense meant, but: The concept of using Door Manufacturers content in Revit, is pretty much a joke.

No standards alignment, lousy quality components, overly populated with junk and underly populated with things people care about it Design.

No one interested in doing a good job is using manufacturers content, for Doors.
    No offense taken.
    Most we use are pretty good family's, nevertheless, we need those family's, because we need the right dimentions of the door profile and measurements.
    I dont work at an architect, but at a contractor, every door manufacturer has his own dimentions, we dont use generic content. if we dont have the right ones its not gona fit.
    Making our own door familys for every different brand of door is a no go.

And if their really messy with materials or object styles, i just clean it up myself. i have had 1 door manufacturer who had good family's but made quite a few mistakes in formulas. but the others are good.
    Last edited by Modderhoop; February 7th, 2020 at 10:59 PM.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    No offense taken.
    Most we use are pretty good family's, nevertheless, we need those family's, because we need the right dimentions of the door profile and measurements.
    I dont work at an architect, but at a contractor, every door manufacturer has his own dimentions, we dont use generic content. if we dont have the right ones its not gona fit.
    Making our own door familys for every different brand of door is a no go.

And if their really messy with materials or object styles, i just clean it up myself. i have had 1 door manufacturer who had good family's but made quite a few mistakes in formulas. but the others are good.
    I work for Contractors, too.

If you have a good Door Library (generic) with good Panel Families, you ABSOLUTELY can make every manufacturers. Its not a lot of work, because youre just editing parameters. But, you do you. If it works for you, great.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I work for Contractors, too.

If you have a good Door Library (generic) with good Panel Families, you ABSOLUTELY can make every manufacturers. Its not a lot of work, because youre just editing parameters. But, you do you. If it works for you, great.
    Personally i prefer the manufacturer models because its more error free. and its faster, since i dont have to edit so much parameters to make the door the same dimentions.

Maybe doors are les complicated where you live
    But we have so much versions, manufacturers revit packages mostly contain 20-50 different doors, witch already pack multiple versions into one family.

I could send you some if your interested.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's not more error free. LOL.

I've seen manufacturers doors, before. We don't have to agree. Was just chiming in to point out that MOST folks aren't going to succeed using manufacturer stuff.

Like I said, if you are happy with it... Great!

They are useless, where I'm from... And in every country that I work in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

I mostly use the doors from manufacturers in the Netherlands too for the standard work. (in NL we all use the same interior doors for 90% of the projects)
    Most families are pretty good because we all use a Dutch standard these days which helps a lot.

But for custom doors (frames) i just use curtain walls with the right profile.
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; February 8th, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Yup,

The family's from Andusta and Krepel are pretty good. we use these doors the most.
    Only had trouble with the door familys from Svedex.

Also it saves you a lot of time if you do not need to make all those family's.