Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variable pitch roofs in revit

Current Local Time
    06:41 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Variable pitch roofs in revit

Hey Guys!

I am a building designer who took the plunge into BIM (and architecture school) rather late in life.

As such, I have decided to begin a migration from CAD to BIM. I have a certain project I am working on that I picked for a BIM transition for its complexity in a number of areas. Most of my work contains homes with variable pitch roofs. I have attached pdfs of my CAD files below.

The side to side pitches are 14/12 while the front to back are 8/12. A bell cornice is used to align the 14/12 side to side pitch with the 8/12 front to back. Between the garage parapet and the and the main roof is a lean to at 6.5/12.

The garage plate and the lean to stated above is @ 10'8". The Main roof plate is at 11'4". The front porch plate is at 13'0".

I have tried just about everything I know how to do at this point, including drawing blocks of roof that are at the same height, drawing individual pitches and Trying to get them to join each other.

This is incredibly complex to me, at this time, and I realize that I may not have given enough information, however I need to get a dialogue started. If there is anything else I can provide to expand what help I can obtain from the Revit Forum community, please let me know.

I have learned from books, online tutorials ('raising the roof - creating roofs in revit; autodesk university 2009; online pdf), tutorial videos, etc.

I have also taken the time to combine what Ive learned to the best of my current abilities. I have obtained varied results. Piecing it together seems to get me half way there however, roofs will not join up (the say they are joined but they aren't graphically.)

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Elev-Front-Revit.pdf
    Elev-Side-Revit.pdf
    Last edited by DaveP; February 11th, 2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: separated PDFs

Current Local Time
    07:41 PM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You will need to use two roofs to make those. Create the lower roof, then set the cutoff level to the height you need. If you want to do math, you can also create the sketch with a hole in it. Formulas are here: https://www.screencast.com/t/xaRoBTeKjjq Then create your second roof and adjust its elevation as needed.

https://www.screencast.com/t/xaRoBTeKjjq

If the lower roof has a curve instead of being straight it gets a little more complicated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    03:41 PM

in terms of design intent, my experience has been you can go far with the basic Revit Roof tools (Split lines, Modify sub-elements, etc.); I would recommend testing different modeling strategies to see what happens when you cut sections, create elevations, details, etc. usually this is my primary concern when building roofs with Revit - does it communicate my design intent. Then from there, i'll decide if it's needs more fine tuning. From what i can see in the PDFs, looks like you're on the right path.

Also, as you have already witnessed, drawing in a 2d CAD program (like autocad) is not the same as modeling with Revit. Take some time up front to decide on a modeling strategy as it will pay-off regardless of what type of intent you are seeking.

This link helped me back at the beginning of my roof building days; http://www.dscohn.com/AU/handouts/AB...in%20Revit.pdf

In addition to this forum, the AU site is another great resource for modeling information.

Good Luck!
    -md

Current Local Time

Thanks, Guys.

I am going to work through this. I will report back my progress. Thanks again.

Current Local Time

Variable Pitch Help

The perimeter I am working with is not rectangular and has three different plate heights. Therefore, I am having to chop this up and address each area however I possibly can. This is a good and a bad things. Its tough, but once I get this I will have Revit beat.

So I have been able to replicate this design premise however, my front to back pitch seems to mess things up. In your screen cast, you do a roof with an 8/12 bell then you join it with a 14/12 roof. This is continued around your rectangular perimeter.

This home I am working with has a 8/12 bell and 14/12 pitch from side to side and from front to back is 8/12. Here is what I have come up with.

How do I get it to come together correctly? Join doesn't seem to work. It tells me the faces don't line up or something close to that.

Do I have to just 'fake it' in and get it as close as possible or is there a way get the hips to come together correctly as they will in the field?

I have 3 different 'roofs' coming together to make this point shown in my pic. I understand how mdsharp5 says this should communicate what I am trying to do however, i am also trying to rendering 100's of our plans moving forward for online sales and the roofs not coming together correctly in areas could suck.

Apologies for the size not sure how to cut it down here
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; February 16th, 2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: weird gibberish with image

Current Local Time
    01:41 AM

no idea what happened to that image, but it turned into 1000's of lines of gibberish in your post. Could you try and add them again please?

Current Local Time

RevitScreenShot1.pdf

Did this upload work correctly?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

Just in case, here is another version.

Current Local Time

UpdateRevitScreenShot1.pdf

This is as close as I can get it. I cant get the hips to come together in 3d.

Current Local Time
    11:41 PM

dubbel
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; February 17th, 2020 at 01:27 PM.