Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ensuring correct information shown at plot time

Current Local Time
    04:34 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ensuring correct information shown at plot time

How do you ensure right information is shown on sheets at plot time? I am specifically interested Worksets and the links contained therein.

I see two possible methods:
    1. All Worksets on at plot time. This relies on the model manager ensuring all the appropriate Worksets/Links are set On/Off in each and every View in the project. View Templates will help, but this must be thoroughly checked every time a new Workset/Link is added to the project model.
    or
    2. On the project Starting View, maintain a list of project Worksets noting which ones should be On/Off at plot time. Whilst this method requires thought and action from the person printing, it does mean that not every view in the project has to have specific Worksets/Links displayed On/Off.

Problems occur when users either unfamiliar with a project or inexperienced in Revit are asked to print drawing sets. Output is created that has either too much or too little information. Drawings are issued. Hell breaks loose.

What methods do you use please?

Thanking you.

Current Local Time
    12:34 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    All worksets on, and no workset EVER set to not visible in VG or VT. And (seriously) what I call the "print time jitters" haven't been a concern of mine in over ten years.

If people don't use worksets for visibility, there is nothing to worry about. Every single thing people do for vis with worksets, has another way to be done already.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Current Local Time
    04:34 AM

Thank you. To clarify:
    * Do not use VG > Worksets > Hide to suppress worksets/links, but
    * It is OK to use VG > Worksets > Show to display worksets/links whose Collaborate > Worksets > Visible in all views checkbox is off.

If so, is there a best practice for what types of Worksets/Links to generally set Visible in all views On or Off? It is always On except for such things as Enscape entourage or reference links not seen on sheets?

Thanking you.

Current Local Time
    01:34 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    No and No, never use worksets to control visibility, you will get yourself in trouble. For Enscape and Rendering entourage I like to use Design options with the primary option set to empty and the secondary on holds all the rendering assets, then only in render views do you set the design option to the secondary option. I don't turn off links in views, I coordinate with consultants to make sure their models show the right stuff. I will use VG and View templates to turn off their annotations and if lineweights are an issue overide them. We have so many construction issues with projects where the teams used worksets for visibility, inevitably someone always puts something major on a workset that is off by default. Bad news, especially when its a concrete column

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    No and No, never use worksets to control visibility, you will get yourself in trouble. For Enscape and Rendering entourage I like to use Design options with the primary option set to empty and the secondary on holds all the rendering assets, then only in render views do you set the design option to the secondary option. I don't turn off links in views, I coordinate with consultants to make sure their models show the right stuff. I will use VG and View templates to turn off their annotations and if lineweights are an issue overide them. We have so many construction issues with projects where the teams used worksets for visibility, inevitably someone always puts something major on a workset that is off by default. Bad news, especially when its a concrete column
    Do you create a workset for the rendering assets still, even with the DO? I've been putting them on a WS, mostly so I can unload everything when I open the file. I haven't really looked into how performance is affected doing that versus a DO.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I do, yes, that is a perfectly valid use for worksets. to manage project performance. as long as its not for visibility. Its a bucket of stuff you may want to open or close. I'd attach a pdf of my workset usage guidelines but I can't see a way to upload a pdf.

Current Local Time

I dont ever have a Workset that is set to NOT be visible by Default. Its just one more thing to deal with, that isnt providing any value. Its just forcing you to deal with Worksets as a Visibility tool. If you have View Templates set up well, Workset Default Visibility isnt adding value.

Im in a shared model with another company, where its there model, and they have worksets set with default visibility off. Its annoying AF.

UNLOADING a workset is entirely different. THAT, for computer performance, is great. But i would never set it to be invisible by default, nor do i EVER use VG:Workset.

Current Local Time
    10:34 AM

If you did use worksets for visibilty then you might use not visible by default.

I've explained it using an example from our good friend AutoCAD.

You're deep in a project with an xref in lots of files. You need to add a layer in the base file that you only want visible in one file and not in the other 99. If you turn it off/freeze it in the base file then simply opening, saving, and closing the 99 files will lock that layer state thanks to visretain and you only need to turn it on in the one file.

Not exactly the same in Revit but, again, if you're using worksets for visibility and you add a workset late in the game, you can either update all of your VTs and/or views to hide it or set it to not be visible by default you only need to update those VTs and/or views you want to see it in.

But yeah... don't use Worksets for visibility if you can help it... for lots of reasons.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    If you did use worksets for visibilty then you might use not visible by default.

I've explained it using an example from our good friend AutoCAD.

You're deep in a project with an xref in lots of files. You need to add a layer in the base file that you only want visible in one file and not in the other 99. If you turn it off/freeze it in the base file then simply opening, saving, and closing the 99 files will lock that layer state thanks to visretain and you only need to turn it on in the one file.

Not exactly the same in Revit but, again, if you're using worksets for visibility and you add a workset late in the game, you can either update all of your VTs and/or views to hide it or set it to not be visible by default you only need to update those VTs and/or views you want to see it in.

But yeah... don't use Worksets for visibility if you can help it... for lots of reasons.
    No offense intended, but this is the "I dont want to take the time to do it the right way, so ill do it lazy and annoy every person that comes after me" approach.

"Late in the game," is relative. Its late, until it isnt. And then there is suddenly another phase to the project, and then a workset is off by default, or the project gets extended. And whats worse- is its all because someone was using Worksets for this ANYWAY. Its just a glaring marker of why its not the right tool, and all it does is muddy up a project, and make it more difficult to work in later.

Yes, i understand *why* they would do it. And i still would want to smack them, all the same.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    10:34 AM

I have used a workset set to Not Visible for point cloud links. In this case I don't want to see the point cloud in any views other than those (very few) I specifically decide to see them in. I opted for this because seeing the point cloud in all views was too painful. Otherwise, I really prefer they are visible by default.