Thread: Asking Architects Linked View

Current Local Time
    09:35 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Asking Architects Linked View

I'm posting this in the arch section because I want architect's opinions. Sometimes we'll run into issue with MEP that could be solved by using the linked view option in your templates. Is there a good way to ask architects for this and to provide them with the settings?

I was thinking of having an empty project with one view template they can transfer over.

Have you ever been asked this? Have you done it?

This office is my first experience in a E only firm. My last firm it was much less of an issue because were working so much closer in multiple ways.

Current Local Time
    08:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CRapai View Post
    I'm posting this in the arch section because I want architect's opinions. Sometimes we'll run into issue with MEP that could be solved by using the linked view option in your templates. Is there a good way to ask architects for this and to provide them with the settings?

I was thinking of having an empty project with one view template they can transfer over.

Have you ever been asked this? Have you done it?

This office is my first experience in a E only firm. My last firm it was much less of an issue because were working so much closer in multiple ways.
    So, generally when i get requests like this, its for an irrational (EDIT: And im not talking about you, im saying typically, thats why i get asked this) reason. So lets back up, for a minute:

What SPECIFIC "issue" in MEP is solved ONLY by using BY Linked View, off of a specific view that would then need to be created in the Architectural Model?

Current Local Time
    07:35 PM

We generally create linked views, and MEP generally uses them. It graphically looks better, and should be easier for both parties if I adjust what I don't want to see in the background rather than asking them to turn off categories, add subcategories and custom filters.

Since we have a link view template already I'd modify that if we worked together.

Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We had an MEP firm request linked views with our room tags turned on. I told them this was a bad idea. We can certainly do that, but what happens when they need to move the tag cause its hiding an object they need to show. So generally speaking I'm not sure why MEP can't set up their own view templates to show the arch info they want to see. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to set them up if there is a value to them but I'm not sure what settings I have differently then they do.

Current Local Time

The thing I was trying to solve yesterday was having sanitary pipe visible below the current level but not the walls. Sometimes this isn't as big of an issue but depending if designers want this working views and/or print views and how the walls are modeled it can be tricky. Maybe this is just because the architect modeled the walls up to the floor level rather than stopping at the slab. What I would really like is the ability to filter elements based on whether the reference level is below, above, or the current level.

The designer just wanted it for a working view so we found a linked view that was relatively empty and set the view range to by linked view.
    Last edited by CRapai; February 13th, 2020 at 07:13 PM.