Thread: Text Notes in Detail Family not showing up when I load it into a project

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    02:50 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Text Notes in Detail Family not showing up when I load it into a project

I created a Revit Detail Family for some skylight details. I received these skylight details as CAD files from a manufacturer (Velux). I understand that there are always issues when you import a CAD file to a Revit family or model but I am not sure what went wrong here in this particular instance.

For some reason, the text within the details is not showing up when I load the detail family into the Revit project (it shows up fine in the detail family itself). Text imported from AutoCAD is usually extremely temperamental, and knowing that, I deliberately converted all the text to a Revit system family. Despite this, it is still not showing up when I load it into my project. Why would this happen?

2.    #2
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    10:50 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Text doesn't appear in Detail Item families. They represent a 2D version of real world (size) elements. To show text in such a family it must be a nested Annotation Symbol family which provides an opportunity to base the text value on a parameter or not.

Merely importing a DWG detail into a Detail Item family will only show lines, circles etc...no text element.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    02:50 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    That absolutely makes sense, but I converted the text into a Revit system family. It's odd that it allows you to create a label text, but it won't show up in the project? Thank you for your help. I will make an annotation symbol family.

4.    #4
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    10:50 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katewood1989
    That absolutely makes sense, but I converted the text into a Revit system family. It's odd that it allows you to create a label text, but it won't show up in the project? Thank you for your help. I will make an annotation symbol family.
    It's the only instance where Revit offers us a no plot Text (except NO text plots...)