Thread: Lines trimming in nested families

Current Local Time
    11:42 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lines trimming in nested families

This is MEP related, but I thought that posting it here would attract more eyeballs...

So I recently discovered the trick of placing nested face-hosted families in my mechanical equipment families. It really simplifies the parent family by moving a lot of the constraints and ref planes into the nested families. I've started updating our standard families to make use of these, but I've noticed a graphical issue: where the face-hosted nested family touches the geometry of the parent family, Revit is trimming the lines in Hidden Line mode.

For instance, I just created a spiffy, fully parametric family for a condenser fan. I nested it into a face-hosted family, and then nested that family into my split system condensing unit family. As you can see in the image below, the lines of my nested condenser fan family are being trimmed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nested Families.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	38356

Is there some way to stop Revit from trimming these lines while keeping the View in Hidden Line mode?

Current Local Time
    10:42 AM

Ehhhh, something else is going on there. I nest stuff in other stuff all the time, including Face Based, and it doesnt take my lines out, like that.

Current Local Time

I did just discover that if I change the Condenser Fan to Generic Model family category (#1 in my image), but keep the face-hosted family (#2) as a Mechanical Equipment, this line trimming behavior doesn't happen. But, because my Views are using the hard-coded "Mechanical" Discipline setting, Generic Models are set to halftone, which isn't ideal. I'm not sure how to override that Discipline setting, though.

Apparently the Generic Model family category is special in this regard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CU.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	38358

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    08:42 AM

It's probably Cut vs Not Cut... Mechanical has no Cut settings while GM does.

Current Local Time

I just tried making sure that "Cut with Voids When Loaded" was unchecked for all families.... no luck. The only family category that seems to prevent this triming behavior is Generic Model.

I have found that if I set the view Discipline to "Coordination" instead of "Mechanical", the GM category is no longer halftoned. I suppose I could make this change globally, but this would probably lead to other issues.
    Last edited by Necro99; February 14th, 2020 at 08:38 PM.

Current Local Time
    08:42 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I've encountered this. It's a function of Mechanical Settings -> Hidden Line -> Outside Gap. Change that to 0" and it should go away. At least that's what has worked for me in the past.

EDIT: You can also undo the halftone that's applied in Mechanical views by going to Additional Settings -> Halftone/Underlay -> Underlay -> Apply Halftone (uncheck). Of course, then you have to re-halftone everything that you do want halftoned, so YMMV.
    Last edited by Robert Roffe; February 14th, 2020 at 09:03 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    You can also undo the halftone that's applied in Mechanical views by going to Additional Settings -> Halftone/Underlay -> Underlay -> Apply Halftone (uncheck). Of course, then you have to re-halftone everything that you do want halftoned, so YMMV.
    Wait, so I can uncheck that "Apply Halftone" box and still have halftones applied by V/G settings? That's news to me, I always thought this was a global shutoff of ALL halftoning in the entire model, which seemed stupid to me so I always left that box checked.
    Last edited by Necro99; February 14th, 2020 at 09:09 PM.

Current Local Time
    10:42 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    I've encountered this. It's a function of Mechanical Settings -> Hidden Line -> Outside Gap. Change that to 0" and it should go away. At least that's what has worked for me in the past.

EDIT: You can also undo the halftone that's applied in Mechanical views by going to Additional Settings -> Halftone/Underlay -> Underlay -> Apply Halftone (uncheck). Of course, then you have to re-halftone everything that you do want halftoned, so YMMV.
    I didnt even know that was a thing (Outside Gap). So, thanks!

Current Local Time

Proper looking MEP plans need both gaps, though. It looks weird when two ducts pass each other and the outside gap is set to 0”.

But turning off “Apply Halftone” did the trick! In summary (in case anyone reads this years from now), it looks like nested/face hosted MEP families need to be on the Generic Models family category if you want to avoid this line trimming inside your families.