Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So...Any Tips or Plans for working from Home?

Current Local Time
    11:36 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FBlome View Post
    .... "Hey Alexa, give my computer the finger!"
    This might actually work. Use a smart outlet and use Alexa or the app for that device to turn the power off and back on.

Current Local Time
    04:36 AM

I work remotely everyday in Melbourne using BIM360 and VPN to acces the company server in Brisbane. Works great.

Tried VPN to revit initially but it was a bag of smashed crabs.

Current Local Time
    06:36 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I work remotely almost everyday in the Netherlands and use a Revit server on Azure and this works very good.

Current Local Time
    01:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Jansen View Post
    I work remotely almost everyday in the Netherlands and use a Revit server on Azure and this works very good.
    Curious: Do you connect to the Azrure RS/Accelerator as your "accelerator," or are y ou installing the Accelerator software on your local machine, so each machine is an accelerator talking to the Azure Revit Server? I was doing the latter, when i was on Revit Server from Jobsites. It was BALLS fast, as long as you didnt shut your laptop off for a half hour after syncing, LOL.

Current Local Time
    06:36 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Curious: Do you connect to the Azrure RS/Accelerator as your "accelerator," or are y ou installing the Accelerator software on your local machine, so each machine is an accelerator talking to the Azure Revit Server? I was doing the latter, when i was on Revit Server from Jobsites. It was BALLS fast, as long as you didnt shut your laptop off for a half hour after syncing, LOL.
    I have used both and installing the ''accelerator'' on a local machine works indeed faster. I used this method a few years ago when i worked on a 4G connection on a site with no wired internet.
    I used this guide to install the accelerator on my local machine.
    http://do-u-revit.blogspot.com/2011/...s-desktop.html

Now i just connect (like on a lan) to the server in the cloud and it is still very fast, with some minor little hickups of a few seconds sometimes.
    I do think you need a good internetconnection, but thats not a problem in the Netherlands.
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; March 15th, 2020 at 12:50 PM.

Current Local Time
    11:36 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I've tried a bunch of the remote desktop software, like TeamViewer, Logmein, chrome remote desktop, etc.

As far as those go, I found TeamViewer the most robust and good for working with multiple screens, etc. However, TeamViewer is quite spendy and I believe you have to buy a year subscription (they have/had a free version for personal use, but they'll catch on fairly quick if you have a whole office using free versions against their licensing policy). YMMV.

Chrome desktop works very well and is free and fairly fast, but only one display at a time I believe, and you're working in a browser window.

What we're using for our small office is Logmein Hamachi virtual VPN software along with Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. There's a free version, but you'll probably want the annual subscription ($50 in the US) that allows for remote reboots and 50 simultaneous connections (translates to 25 remote PC to host PC connections... I believe you can purchase more). I set it up as a mesh network and each employee can access their office machine from home using any VPN client, but Microsoft RDC works great - excellent two-display support, fast and ubiquitous. It takes a little more tech knowledge to setup Hamachi than something like TeamViewer, but shouldn't be a show-stopper, and once the network is set up, you can "invite" other users to login with a link and all they need to do is click the link to install software and it will automatically setup the connection up, and then they enter an IP address into their VPN client to connect to their office PC.
    Last edited by iru69; March 15th, 2020 at 04:45 PM.

Current Local Time
    02:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Real Virtual Workstations: As Leanne mentioned, companies whos end user workstations are running on a solution like VMware or Citrix, will barely have an issue, because they are all remoting in to the workstations, already. Its a solution that is made to work in situations like this. But, its also not something you implement in a week. So, if the company isnt already working on it, they probably arent using it to get around the COVID situation. VDI takes time to plan and implement, even if you go with VDI rental, like Advance 2000.
    I talked with HVE a week or two ago and they were at least 3 months out on implementations if not more.

IMHO- the bigger issue with all of this is the absolute beating that the network infrastructure is going to take. XBox Live has been down a couple times, MS Teams crashed earlier today, and I'd wager there will be more. But that is an entirely different discussion and with no network none of the other options really matter

Current Local Time

We should talk. On the phone.

Current Local Time
    07:36 PM

Does anyone have experience using nutanix frame? We were meant to test this a few weeks ago but not much came off it until last week. From what I've seen it seems to work on for Revit, slight lag but I haven't used it with more than 1 user or in a typical day to day workflow.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jozi View Post
    Does anyone have experience using nutanix frame? We were meant to test this a few weeks ago but not much came off it until last week. From what I've seen it seems to work on for Revit, slight lag but I haven't used it with more than 1 user or in a typical day to day workflow.
    Frame is basically the same as vmware VDI, except you are running it through a browser, and they are hosting the instances for you, so you dont buy it (you rent/lease it). That also means when the internet goes out, so does your connection to Frame.

But yes: We have used it. AU Labs were on Frame, and Autodesk Beta is on Frame as well. I (personally) would rather an on-prem solution, but thats basically just user preference. The gear they use at Frame is very similar, to what other vendors sell.