Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So...Any Tips or Plans for working from Home?

Current Local Time
    08:13 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It has absolutely nothing to do with that setting.

They go in to Local Appdata.

There isnt a "setting" you can do to change it, without jumping through extensive hoops: In order to repath the BIM360 caches (multiple), you need to use Symbolic Links to redirect the folder elsewhere. And- since its a Local Appdata thing- that needs to get done on a per-user basis, unlike the setting you are thinking of. So you can do it, as long as IT has the chope to have something running at user login (with Admin elevation) that can put the Symbolic Links in place, to redirect to other folders.

It works, but its completely not worth doing, when you can just stick bigger hard drives in the machines.

EDIT: Here are the steps to do it, manually: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit.../6494655#M2818

Current Local Time
    02:13 AM

I previously had some questions regarding the use of Frame, Twiceroadfool you had nothing but positive to say about it.

I'm just wondering how Frame can use a VPN while connecting from a laptop to a VPN can/will cause issues?

Our Frame test setup uses a VPN connection to reach the office cloud based server, both the server and Frame are provided by the same company.

Is ther 100% no possible way to get a regular desktop to server VPN reliably working? Our IT dept are to look into the issues some users were having with models breaking, I've told them there's no use in spending resources to investigate but I don't know the technical reasons why it will never work. (other than one being SAMBA and the other HTTP).

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jozi View Post
    I previously had some questions regarding the use of Frame, Twiceroadfool you had nothing but positive to say about it.
    Well, hold on. I said i had used it, and that its hardware was the same or similar to other VDI solutions that ive looked at. I also said that the Autodesk University Labs were run on it. I did not say "i had nothing but positive feedback to give on it." I cant find the exact thread, either, but if you have a link to it, that would be great.

Frame is the same as a lot of other on-prem VDI, except (of course) that its not on prem, which means you are mostly running it through a browser, if not a software client. That also brings with it some complications, if the internet is dodgy. I personally wouldnt buy in to Frame, but ive used it before.

I'm just wondering how Frame can use a VPN while connecting from a laptop to a VPN can/will cause issues?
    I have to apologize: I cant make sense of what you are asking, here. VPN is dangerous if you are using it to access files "across the VPN." If you are on a Frame Desktop, accessing a Revit Model that you access OVER THE VPN from the Frame desktop... Yes. You are eventually going to ruin a model. Plain and simple.

Our Frame test setup uses a VPN connection to reach the office cloud based server, both the server and Frame are provided by the same company.

Is ther 100% no possible way to get a regular desktop to server VPN reliably working? Our IT dept are to look into the issues some users were having with models breaking, I've told them there's no use in spending resources to investigate but I don't know the technical reasons why it will never work. (other than one being SAMBA and the other HTTP).
    Well if you guys find a way to stop the files from breaking, you will have proven the people who made the software wrong, i guess.

Current Local Time
    02:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Well, hold on. I said i had used it, and that its hardware was the same or similar to other VDI solutions that ive looked at. I also said that the Autodesk University Labs were run on it. I did not say "i had nothing but positive feedback to give on it." I cant find the exact thread, either, but if you have a link to it, that would be great.

Frame is the same as a lot of other on-prem VDI, except (of course) that its not on prem, which means you are mostly running it through a browser, if not a software client. That also brings with it some complications, if the internet is dodgy. I personally wouldnt buy in to Frame, but ive used it before.
    Apologies, you are correct you didn't give any feedback as such which is ok. I didn't read not to use it and if Autodesk have used it there must be something going for Frame. My query was more in relation to the VPN aspect which I 'll try explain batter.

I have to apologize: I cant make sense of what you are asking, here. VPN is dangerous if you are using it to access files "across the VPN." If you are on a Frame Desktop, accessing a Revit Model that you access OVER THE VPN from the Frame desktop... Yes. You are eventually going to ruin a model. Plain and simple.
    The way Frame was setup;
    • Login via browser,
    • Connect to server using SonicWall VPN Client
    • Run batch script mapping network drives from the server to the VDI

My understanding is that Frame and our (cloud) server are both within the same data center.

Is using the VPN with Frame the same as using a VPN on a local desktop/laptop or is this something different? If it's the same should we run into the same issues as if it were a regular VPN on a desktop?

Well if you guys find a way to stop the files from breaking, you will have proven the people who made the software wrong, i guess.
    Is there any technical literature why it won't work? I have no reason to doubt you or the many others reporting the same issues (going years back), I just want to be able to understand this better for myself and be able to at least converse with IT as to why VPN breaks models (both local and using Frame) and should be avoided at all cost.

Current Local Time

I'm afraid i cant speak intelligently about the setup youre describing, and whether or not it will or will not work. I will say this, though:

If i was responsible for the stability and quality of a Revit Model, and ANY part of the workflow involved a VPN client and mapping network drives after turning on the VPN, i would 100% not do it. Nor would i agree to work on such a setup, even if a client was paying me to do it.

Having said that: No, i have no literature i can point you to, on why it wont work, either.

Current Local Time
    09:13 PM

It works, but its completely not worth doing, when you can just stick bigger hard drives in the machines.
    Holy crap! 1TB SSDs are right around $100 now!!

Current Local Time
    03:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Yes thats why harddrives are already obsolete in most cases.
    Your referencing to 2.5" sata ssd's?
    Because an nvme for $100 isn't recommended, if the better ones are not on sale that is.

Current Local Time
    06:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jozi View Post
    Is there any technical literature why it won't work? I have no reason to doubt you or the many others reporting the same issues (going years back), I just want to be able to understand this better for myself and be able to at least converse with IT as to why VPN breaks models (both local and using Frame) and should be avoided at all cost.

As I understand it, the reason why working on a local copy of a central model over the VPN will eventually corrupt the model is this: Revit is constantly communicating with the central file via the multiple files (file based databases really) located in the "_backup" folder next to the central model. These files keep track of who has which element or workset borrowed, borrowing requests, and who has made local files from the central model, etc.

When you do this over the VPN, the lower speed and reliability of the connection means that these commands may be delayed, or interrupted altogether, which is made worse as multiple people try to do this at the same time. When multiple people are on local files in an internal network, the speed is pretty reliable and consistent, but over the internet (on VPN) there is too much variability in each connection speed and latency.

Thus, this variability causes files not to be updated properly, and corruption ensues.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    LOL, the 1TB M.2 NVME's we use are nowhere near that cheap. But, it beats having a C and D, and having to mess with all of that. A couple of our machines have the M.2 NVME 2TB Samsung, as well. They have also come down in price... A lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E...5242771&sr=8-3

Ive got two of those, in my desktop.

Current Local Time
    09:13 PM

LOL, the 1TB M.2 NVME's we use are nowhere near that cheap. But, it beats having a C and D, and having to mess with all of that. A couple of our machines have the M.2 NVME 2TB Samsung, as well. They have also come down in price... A lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E...5242771&sr=8-3

Ive got two of those, in my desktop.
    Nice! My desktop is a little older and doesn't have an M2 slot I'm stuck with an old fashioned Sata based SSD.