Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: So...Any Tips or Plans for working from Home?

1.    #51
    Current Local Time
    04:43 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The full story behind the "AU Build" aka the Remis Anvil Texas Edition, was actually about these NVME Drives:

I had a 1TB M.2 NVME put in "Big Red," which Anthony built for me. And 1TB is plenty for our desktops, since we dont do the Library Sync to the desktops, as they are married to our servers, unlike our laptops.

But, i use Hyper V for a lot of *pop up VM's* when i need to test things for clients, or when i need to use a clients specific VPN, for access to their environment. (One VM for each client, basically). That means a lot of VM's, which means a lot of storage. At the same time, the "spare desk" in the office (right next to mine), had my older Dell M7510 laptop, with the dual (or triple) 27" screens. That dell was the first machine after the machine i started PRLX with. It was also before i was getting machines from Anthony. Each snapshot of each VM is the size of a small computers HD... So roughly 50-100GB, depending on what i have installed.

So my first plan was to order the 4TB of NVME, and put them in Big Red, and re-image it.

After the Hard Drives arrived, i realized we could do a new build (the Anvil TE) and put the 4TB in that, use it at AU, bring it back here, retire the Dell, move Big Red to the spare desk, and be in a much better situation, computing power wise. So we did that.

2.    #52
    Current Local Time
    11:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Nice! My desktop is a little older and doesn't have an M2 slot I'm stuck with an old fashioned Sata based SSD.
    Hmm you might want to consider upgrading then.
    I have a second pc with a pretty basic gigabyte motherboard from around 2015, and that motherboard has an m.2 slot.
    My current gaming pc has 2 m.2 slots, but had enough for 1 1tb ssd for now. but might put another one in if theres any sale on another 970 evo.

3.    #53
    Current Local Time
    10:43 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thought I'd chip in with how things have been for us these last few weeks. (I'm Day #15 of self isolation)

Firstly, before these concerns, we were already VPN ready - so that transition/setup was smooth. We did need to increase/upgrade something in our FortiGate to accomodate all of our people (50-60 dependant on day) connecting in from home. We also needed to get the FortiClient installed on everyone's devices (we've gone BYOD)

To that, we also deployed Sophos Endpoint for end-to-end protection (I note no to mention of AV yet in this thread which is a concern!)

Before talking to Revit - communications are being handled by Teams, which we had already for side-chats and informal internal exchanges for each project team, but we've ramped up it's use significantly. I've seen Zoom, it is slicker, and for the video calls, and I've seen Slack, it is a cleaner IMS, but with Teams as a free Windows/Office integrated platform - it was a no brainer.

We also went O365 last summer - so we've got in-browser access to the whole suit, along with at-machine client installs for those wanting it. This has proved MASSIVELY useful - especially as we cross-platforming all this, with many of our people on Macs (without Parallels or Bootcamp)

Revit wise, (cos that's why we're here right) we are remote-controlling our workstations over RDC - accessed through the VPN, (licenses likewise) - and it's been fine. Yes, sometimes the viewports get sticky, and input lag* can go a bit crazy - but that's Revit generally! We've let folk take monitors home to hook up to their laptops, and as Aaron posted, dual-or-more screen setups are entirely doable. Similarly, shared resources for sound, mic, cameras and such are all there in the extended tabs of the RDC client (Mac experience is a little different, but it's up to date to even support retina, but we're recommending people drop down the colo(u)r to 15bit and turn off all non-essential visuals (as if they were on modem) to keep traffic as lean as can be.

But Revit's not everything - and we have encountered issues with other applications. We had almost given up on Enscape, but know that you can launch it over RDC on Quadro equipped machines! Perverse really, since our K2200 units are so pap compared to our RTX2070S machines - and you still can't reasonably pilot a session via the RDC window, but you can get the standalone .exe made, and copied across to local machines with the guts enough to run it... we host model runaround reviews via a Teams screenshare off of whoever's got a beefy home rig. This only applies to Windows machines, as Macs don't seem to like it. Or even the web-standalones. Which is a crazy nuisance, and will soon see me courting Revizto...

Navisworks likewise, ran fine over RDC on a LAN when in office, but for some reason struggles on RDC over vpn, (weird doesn't make much sense to me) and for the most part we're grateful we've very few jobs on at the moment dependant on it.

The killer for us however is Rhino. Being OpenGL, it runs like a complete dog. And we are at pains to explore a sound solution for it... RealVNC was a little smoother, but not night/day enough to drop the cash... come Monday I'm going to try and test NoMachine, and whatever else comes my way in this weekend's reading. We'd move our Zoo license to cloud and let folk work from home (if/where their machines were up to it) but file-version control, and access to all other supporting assets still tethers the work back to the server, via the VPN, and all that inherent slowness. Our 3DSMax people are also suffering in the same regard.

Sadly people have got comfortable with their raw desk-side speed and are having to adjust - but actually, to take positives away, this last week has seen a surge in interactivity amongst our people, with much talk of refined work processes, tricks and tips being exchanged, and a more pragmatic approach to work (image dpi sizes, workset loading, Rhino layer states, etc)

Beyond all the technological challenges & to talk to the thread title some more.

It's the cultural adjustments that have required the fastest adaption. Our practice is (was?) very much an "in the room" affair - and the lack of to-hand'ness of this situation has hit some hard, but all have stepped up to the challenge admirably.

Teams that might have once took their physical proximity for granted and used it for piecemeal exchanges throughout the day/week are now having digital "standups" each morning.

Meetings start and stop on the second now that no one can dawdle from their desk or get caught up in London traffic.

People can set their availability statuses to one that enables them to zone out and focus completely on their task - something we all know is difficult to do in an open office environment.

Ultimately, whilst the circumstances that have forced an unwelcome but essential incarceration upon all of us are unfortunate - and consequences terribly dire for many - to ride this out we must tap into the positives. More time with the loved ones (if they're in your home that is). Reduced aviation emissions. Audible spring morning birdsong in central London. Reframed thoughts on social enablers and constructs like universal income, and the ousting of heartless corporate entities bashing the drum of economics. World community thinking over country-divisions.

Rather than see this as the start of some dystopic Mad Max era, let's learn what we can from it all so that when we are allowed out of our homes again, we set off on a different path.

It is almost ironic that the first day I self-isolated with symptoms was the day of my annual review, in which I was going to request more work from home time - as I'm an isolater by nature, if, sadly, not a prepper!

I hope what I've shared here has been of some use - and that this finds you well!

-Kieren

*re: input lag (for RDC) there are a couple of gpedit and regedit "tricks" to push up the refresh rate on the controlset (?) and do things with hardware rather virtual graphics. I will fish out the screenshot and guidance notes later and post them back.

4.    #54
    Current Local Time
    05:43 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Were essentially located in a private cloud. Transitioning to WFH was pretty simple. We added additional internet capacity for users hitting the cloud (the offices have direct fiber links). Team members were permitted to take home any equipment needed to make it possible for them to work. Everythings working well so far!

What I missed was telephony oriented capacity. Between the rise of Skype/Teams IM and cell phones the numbers of lines has stagnated and that has been problematic with a rise in online meeting use, particularly all hands internal calls. Now rolling out soft phones and encouraging its use. Were telling staff to purchase headsets, if their hardware doesnt natively support audio/video. Well reimburse the expense.

While we had begun to converge communications we were in beta and not widespread roll-out. Well have it solved by Monday.

Stay safe!

5.    #55
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by rspeicher View Post
    What I missed was telephony oriented capacity.
    Ooo yeah, forgot to mention that side of comms.

We were (are) on a limited number of lines (numbers?) in as it was* - so have had to divert calls to key mobiles, then bounce around. "Thankfully" (?) it feels as if ALL calls have reduced - with everyone either slowing things up during the transition, or moving to other channels.

*last year we were flirting with an off-site VOIP service, which we kinda regret not going for now... oh hello Captain Hindsight!

6.    #56
    Current Local Time
    09:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    VPN: VPN is playing with fire, if you are on workshared files sitting on an Office Server, somewhere...... It will eventually corrupt a model. This is a very very very bad thing to do, ...... Its is a REALLY bad idea.....
    Does anyone know whether this is a really bad idea if only ONE user is within the workshared model? We have a client who is doing this, since they only have one person within a certain project

7.    #57
    Current Local Time
    04:43 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yes, its still just as bad of an idea.

8.    #58
    Current Local Time
    09:43 PM

Thanks Aaron

9.    #59
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Thanks Aaron
    Can they not work local? Thats what I'm doing, I just upload the model to our work servers (most) evenings in the event anyone else needs to access it for what ever reason.

10.    #60
    Current Local Time
    02:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Does anyone know whether this is a really bad idea if only ONE user is within the workshared model? We have a client who is doing this, since they only have one person within a certain project
    If its just one person, and you still want to work via BIM 360 and have the file saved in a BIM 360 Project, and you are using Revit 2019.2 or newer, you can SaveAs a Detached Copy, and choose to Discard Worksets. You can then SaveAs a "Revit Cloud Model". This will save the porject to a BIM 360 Project. And the user will open from BIM 360 as well. This non-workshared file can be part of a larger project with workshared files, and be linked into the larger project. You can also publish versions from a Revit Cloud Model to BIM 360. Once one user closes the Revit Cloud Model, another user in BIM 360 that has the rights, could open and edit and save that RVT file back to BIM 360.

Makes sense? More here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...AF4EF-htm.html