Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Print Sheets in Order (Workaround Tip)

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    07:47 PM

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Print Sheets in Order (Workaround Tip)

I thought I'd share this tip as a possible workaround for printing sheets in the order you want.

Example - Sheet names are T100, A100, A101, S100, S101, E100, E101

Add a "sort" number in front of the sheet name: 1-T100, 5-A100, 5-A101, 6-S100, 6-S101, 8-E100, 8-E101

Now your sheets are in proper print order, but you don't want to see the sort number on your sheets.

Mask the Sort Number: Use text with mask on and change color of text to 254,254,254 (in text style properties). This text is your mask. I used a period and added spaces as needed for the mask.

Group the masking text, then paste (Modify/Paste/Align to selected views) the group to all sheets over the sort number.

For the Drawing Index, do the same. You may use Array to array the text over the sort numbers, or use a single text with spaces as needed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	38540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	38541

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    02:47 AM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    To be honest if you care about the order of your sheets in your project browser that much you need to rethink the numbering of your sheets and not use these kinds of weird 'work arounds' to hack the order.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you have Bluebeam, the easiest workflow I have found is to print your entire set as individual PDFs to a folder. Once all the PDF files are dumped into that folder, create discipline sub-folders prefixed with the sort integer. For example: 01-General, 02-Structural, 03-Arch, 04-Mechanical, etc... Drag the PDFs into their proper folder, sprinkle in the consultant PDFS.

Once sorted, just select all the folders, Right-Click, and "Combine in Bluebeam"... Bluebeam will staple them together ordering them by the sub folder and then by the sheet number. The whole process may take a few minutes max. At the end, not only will you have a organized grouping of all the individual PDFs for use, but also a combined set.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    To be honest if you care about the order of your sheets in your project browser that much you need to rethink the numbering of your sheets and not use these kinds of weird 'work arounds' to hack the order.
    This isn't about the project browser. This is about sending sheets to a printer in a specific order (to avoid the step of collating or reassembling PDFs). Revit only sends prints in the Sheet Number parameter. There is no other way (batch plot is garbage).

Quote Originally Posted by cwasher View Post
    If you have Bluebeam, the easiest workflow I have found is to print your entire set as individual PDFs to a folder. Once all the PDF files are dumped into that folder, create discipline sub-folders prefixed with the sort integer. For example: 01-General, 02-Structural, 03-Arch, 04-Mechanical, etc... Drag the PDFs into their proper folder, sprinkle in the consultant PDFS.

Once sorted, just select all the folders, Right-Click, and "Combine in Bluebeam"... Bluebeam will staple them together ordering them by the sub folder and then by the sheet number. The whole process may take a few minutes max. At the end, not only will you have a organized grouping of all the individual PDFs for use, but also a combined set.
    In my method, I send a print to a virtual PDF printer (Adobe Distiller) and it's a complete PDF. No need to organize or rename anything. The only drawback with my method is I need to be sure the masks are covering the sort number.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Good grief.

Or just leave the PDFs as separate files, the way they should be, anyway.

Seriously, if I saw someone masking parameters labels on a sheet, I'd flip out all over them. That's just awful. And unnecessary.

No offense meant, of course.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    02:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tplarkin7 View Post
    This isn't about the project browser. This is about sending sheets to a printer in a specific order (to avoid the step of collating or reassembling PDFs). Revit only sends prints in the Sheet Number parameter. There is no other way (batch plot is garbage).
    OK I had misunderstood you, but my comment still stands. If the order of your PDF is that important, you need to rethink the numbering of your sheets and not hack something to get it to work. But I also agree with Aaron, as far as I know I have never made a combined PDF other then a booklet for details and I'm sure that even if I did I have my sheets numbered in a way it will work.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    12:47 AM

Not for ordering your PDF, but if you print all of the sheets to 1 PDF you can make your details clickable in your sections and floorplans.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    10:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Jansen View Post
    Not for ordering your PDF, but if you print all of the sheets to 1 PDF you can make your details clickable in your sections and floorplans.
    It works for drilling down through view references but sadly, you can't go back up.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    05:47 PM

What do you do about all your section, elevation and callout references that now report that prefix for all your sheet numbers? Are you masking those too? I'd lose it if i caught a team member putting masking regions all over our drawings. Or are you adding a parameter in addition to the sheet number? Either way, one extra thing for people to manage, and one extra thing for them to screw up.

Just get Bluebeam and use the plugin to sort your prints, or post-process on the Bluebeam side. Not that difficult.
    Last edited by kingjosiah; March 15th, 2020 at 08:11 AM.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kingjosiah View Post
    What do you do about all your section, elevation and callout references that now report that prefix for all your sheet numbers? Are you masking those too? I'd lose it if i caught a team member putting masking regions all over our drawings. Or are you adding a parameter in addition to the sheet number? Either way, one extra thing for people to manage, and one extra thing for them to screw up.

Just get Bluebeam and use the plugin to sort your prints, or post-process on the Bluebeam side. Not that difficult.
    All references are also masked (edit the family and use text or labels to mask).

Masking sounds like a pain, but you only need to do it once. The only babysitting is with the Drawing Index.
    The whole point of this to avoid assembly when printing, and it works. You print a complete, and ordered set in one shot (the way it's supposed to be).