Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIM 360 Design - file replacement best practice

1.    #11
    Current Local Time
    04:04 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    I wasn't saying you, as in "you" personally. What you described would be a dumb a thing to do and you know I'm not one of your haters. IE just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I always use the revision in the file name and it also makes it more salient for when we need to upload to Aconex (or whatever the project uses).
    Our consultant models must also use a revision suffix (read the BEP), so 'reload from' is just a simple thing. Same as it's always been, even before C4R/BIM360.
    Wait, wait... I think we got wires crossed, somewhere. I thought you were (seriously) just asking what the reasons were, that led to us having to rename a file. I didnt think you meant anything by it, and i certainly didnt mean anything by my response. In a perfect world, i never use the functionality. Thats why i laughed when i realized how easy it was: I had assumed id have to download and reupload all the files, and then Melissa (who uses BIM360 way more than me) was like "you can rename them in the browser" and i laughed. The only times ive had to do it (as i wrote above) were when weird circumstances meant a model ended up uolaoded with an incorrect name. I think thats what youre saying, by "why would you?" In that case, i think we agree. I WOULDNT normally. But stuff happens, lol.

anthonyB: No, not at all. I dont rename files, for the life of a project. My current model on BIM 360 is called 18012-XXXX-Reconciliation-Arch-R20.rvt. When it gets upgraded to 2021, the last three digits will change to R21, and then we will do the rename to R21, and Reload From, inside all the models.

I dont tell teams to do save-as to models for design options, so we dont end up with _optionX as a model name.

2.    #12
    Current Local Time
    02:04 AM

its important to realize that in BIM 360 Design, the FILE has a unique identifying number associated to it, a GUID. So renaming the file doesn't change the GUID. Uploading a NEW file to replace the old file...new GUID. That's why, as in Aaron's example, you can rename from the browser in BIM 360, and Revit doesn't care. It's looking for the GUID, not the file name.
    Last edited by Scott D Davis; March 28th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

3.    #13
    Current Local Time
    07:04 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott D Davis View Post
    its important tom realize that in BIM 360 Design, the FILE has a unique identifying number associated to it, a GUID. So renaming the file doesn't change the GUID. Uploading a NEW file to replace the old file...new GUID. That's why, as in Aaron's example, you can rename from the browser in BIM 360, and Revit doesn't care. It's looking for the GUID, not the file name.
    Is that like when we go searching for our local copy we find a file called dbsh3u37e76dx6553h3h3h7d7durh?

Asking for a friend

4.    #14
    Current Local Time
    04:04 AM

Yep! Thats why. LOL

5.    #15
    Current Local Time
    09:04 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Renaming a Revit file in the cloud does eventually populate through out the entire system. Rename a cloud model then eventually if you open mange links, you'll see the new name in the manage links window. If you have users that don't properly rename their Revit files when they initiate cloud based worksharing, you can go in and fix their naming convention for them through Docs.

Right click, rename, move on with your day. I've done this dozens of time and never had to "reload from" or had a filter buggered up. This does however kill the old BIM 360 Teams workflow where you "swap" Revit files out on the cloud with a local version (say, in like an outage where you gotta keep the ball rolling).