Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Ceiling Devices on Floor Plans and Vice Versa

Current Local Time
    12:49 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hiding Ceiling Devices on Floor Plans and Vice Versa

Hello everyone! I am very new to Revit, but I have been learning the software with help from videos, colleagues, and trial and error. I have a question about my methods for hiding ceiling devices on floor plans.

The project I am working on has varying ceiling heights on Level 1. For example: the lobby and a multipurpose room have ceilings that cut into Level 2. This means when I place wireless access points and speakers on those ceilings, the elements show up on the Level 2 floor plan because they are technically within the view range I have set for the floor plan view template. My goal is to prevent any ceiling device from showing up on the floor plans. To do this, I set up plan regions in both of those areas and changed the view range of those regions to exclude the height at which the ceiling devices are mounted. This works fine, but I feel like there may be a better, more intelligent way of achieving my goal?

Also, on the floor plans my speakers always show up. This is because the speaker family I am using (created by a manufacturer) shows speaker coverage. The speaker coverage cones extend down to the floor, making them visible on the floor plans since the coverage cones put them within the floor plan view range. The only solution I could find to excluding these items from the floor plans without also excluding floor devices at the same height is to right click > select all in view, then hide in view > elements. After doing this, it seems like this may be the easier way to hide ceiling devices from my floor plans. Is there any real downside to just selecting all of my ceiling devices in view (when on the floor plans) and choosing to hide them from the view?

I am likely just overthinking this all, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get an outside opinion. Thanks!

Current Local Time
    02:49 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Categories and subcategories. Make sure your families are using these. Manufacturer content usually blows in this area. Get your famies set up correctly and apply the same logic to your view templates.

Current Local Time
    11:49 PM

Hide in View is generally considered bad Revit and should only be used as a last resort.
    Two big problems with Hide In View:
    1.) No one else working on the model knows you hid things in that particular View, so they may end up adding duplicate elements
    2.) If you add another of the same device later, you'll have to remember to Hide that one, too. Plus you're probably not Adding it in the View where you need to Hide it.
    Come to think of it: 3.) You'll likely need to Hide those devices in other Views as well, so now you need to chase it down it multiple places.

This might be overkill, but can you just uncheck the Devices category in your View Template? (you are using View Templates, right?)
    I don't have Revit open right now, so I may not have the exact name of that category.
    If there are some Devices you do need to show and others you don't, you'll probably need to investigate View Filters, which would allow you to turn off specific types of Devices based on some parameter in the family.
    Last edited by DaveP; April 29th, 2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Elton types faster than me. Also typos

Current Local Time

Thanks for the quick response, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Categories and subcategories. Make sure your families are using these. Manufacturer content usually blows in this area. Get your famies set up correctly and apply the same logic to your view templates.
    I see... I am learning that the general consensus is manufacturer-created families are more trouble than they're worth... It sucks because I'd love to be able to utilize all the work they've put in modeling the product, but if it interferes with my workflow I'd rather use my own custom content, like you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Hide in View is generally considered bad Revit and should only be used as a last resort.
    Two big problems with Hide In View:
    1.) No one else working on the model knows you hid things in that particular View, so they may end up adding duplicate elements
    2.) If you add another of the same device later, you'll have to remember to Hide that one, too. Plus you're probably not Adding it in the View where you need to Hide it.
    Come to think of it: 3.) You'll likely need to Hide those devices in other Views as well, so now you need to chase it down it multiple places.

This might be overkill, but can you just uncheck the Devices category in your View Template? (you are using View Templates, right?)
    I don't have Revit open right now, so I may not have the exact name of that category.
    If there are some Devices you do need to show and others you don't, you'll probably need to investigate View Filters, which would allow you to turn off specific types of Devices based on some parameter in the family.
    First off - thanks for explaining the downsides of hide in view! This is exactly what I was worried/curious about. Yes I am using View Templates. When I discovered them I was relieved at how much time it saves when standardizing views. Unfortunately, most of my devices are within the same categories. For example, both my wireless access point (ceiling) and data outlet (wall) are in the Data devices category. So if I turn it off, I will lose both, I assume? I will have to look into View Filters. I've heard of them but I'm not very knowledgeable about them yet. Maybe I need to incorporate some sort of parameter that I can check on/off that defines whether or not the device is ceiling-based.

Current Local Time

Hopefully I am not double-posting - I thought I posted my reply but it's not showing up.

Anyway, thank you guys for the help! I think I figured it out. I created a Project Parameter called "Show in Ceiling Plan" and I created a View Filter within my Floor Plan template based on that Yes/No value. So now, I think I just have to check "Yes" for the ceiling devices and they will disappear from the floor plans! Perfect!

Current Local Time

JW:
    New users have their first 5 posts moderated and don't show up for everyone until approved by a forum Moderator.
    That helps us cut down on spam and !@#$-posts.
    Two more, and you're good to go!

Welcome to RFO!

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by JWF92 View Post
    Hopefully I am not double-posting - I thought I posted my reply but it's not showing up.

Anyway, thank you guys for the help! I think I figured it out. I created a Project Parameter called "Show in Ceiling Plan" and I created a View Filter within my Floor Plan template based on that Yes/No value. So now, I think I just have to check "Yes" for the ceiling devices and they will disappear from the floor plans! Perfect!
    Doing this approach, but then making it a Shared Parameter (that you load in as a Project Parameter) will mean that you can also save your devices to your Library, with the correct checkboxes already filled in. So Alarms, strobes, speakers, are all already marked for RCP...

I call this the "INCLUDE" method, as its how we handle a lot of things in our template. Its also great for when you want some things to be present in both views, but not all things.

Current Local Time
    09:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I call this the "INCLUDE" method, as its how we handle a lot of things in our template. Its also great for when you want some things to be present in both views, but not all things.
    Yes! Love this approach. Helps in other areas as well... EWC is both electrical and plumbing, for example.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Doing this approach, but then making it a Shared Parameter (that you load in as a Project Parameter) will mean that you can also save your devices to your Library, with the correct checkboxes already filled in. So Alarms, strobes, speakers, are all already marked for RCP...

Wow, this is very powerful... I was unfamiliar with Shared Parameters but I fiddled around and added it to the manufacturer's speaker family that I downloaded. I added a "Show in RCP" check box and set the default to yes. After I loaded in the updated family and adjusted the filter in my View Template, all the speakers disappeared! Thanks a ton, this is very useful information. I can't wait to get a standardized set of custom families going.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by JWF92 View Post
    Wow, this is very powerful... I was unfamiliar with Shared Parameters but I fiddled around and added it to the manufacturer's speaker family that I downloaded. I added a "Show in RCP" check box and set the default to yes. After I loaded in the updated family and adjusted the filter in my View Template, all the speakers disappeared! Thanks a ton, this is very useful information. I can't wait to get a standardized set of custom families going.
    You are so welcome! Moments like this are why i love this forum. Now the real rabbit hole will open up, for you, as you go down the content customization route.