Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting boundaries tied to a parameter

Current Local Time
    11:52 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Setting boundaries tied to a parameter

Hi everyone.

So I'm going to try to explain what I want to do and would like to know if anyone has any ideas how to accomplish it.

I would like to take a floor plan and create bounding areas (not room boundaries) so that any family placed within that boundary will have a parameter field that will indicate which bounding/boundary area the family is placed within. I do low voltage communications work and want to associate all devices within a boundary that i create (usually about 200ft around a comm closet as a polygon boundary) to the comm closet that serves those device locations. That way I can get port/cable counts per room serving.

I know revit does room bounding and this would be similar to that but not based of walls as boundaries. Only want to use a polygon to define the bounding area which is typically 15-25k sqft.

Thank you all for your assistance!

Current Local Time
    01:52 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hey there! Its absolutely possible, with Dynamo. You can make the "polygon" any number of ways, or you could have Dynamo do it based on the Comm Closet Room Locations. Either way will work.

WITHOUT Dynamo... Objects arent great at "reporting" where they are, other than Rooms and Areas.

Current Local Time

Thanks for the reply! can you give me a bit more information about how i can accomplish this i dynamo? maybe a walkthrough of something similar? i am very new to working with dynamo but eager to learn!

Current Local Time

I can take a stab at it. Im not *amazing* at Dynamo, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE Data/Comm work (we have a library of parametric Server Racks that i just built for fun, over christmas break, LOL).

Give me a bit.

Current Local Time

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Okay, so... I didnt do exactly what you asked for, because i think (if i were you) id want to handle it differently. I totally understand the desire to "have polygons" and compare against them- and that IS possible- but i try not to use workflows where i have to draw or make the "division systems," because there is a chance NONE of your polygons will be covering an object, and that object just wont get recorded.

So, just for the same, here is what i did instead:

1. I mocked up a file, with 6 "Server Closets." To make the example simple, i plopped a family in each closet, thats called "Server Room Object Family." Then i put all the "Floor devices" out in the rest of the space. To keep things simple, they are all sitting on the ground. Nothing special. Generic Objects.

2. I told Dynamo to calculate the distance between EVERY object on the floor, and EVERY "Server Room Object Family."

3. I told Dynamo to take the distances (which are straight, as the crow files) grouped by the Floor Object they are from (in the Lists), and find the shortest distance. Whichever one was shortest, i told it to get the Comments from that Server Room Object. (The comments just say "Room 01," or "Room 02," basically.

4. I told it to write those Values in to the Comments of the Floor Objects themselves.

5. Then i just made some VG Filters to color them by which room they are closest too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-05_21-00-29.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	38841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallax Team-Datacomm-Proximity Divider-v001_2020-05-05_09-20-26.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	38842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-05_21-23-52.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	38843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-05_21-12-31.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	38846  
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; May 6th, 2020 at 02:33 AM.

Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    In that graph, by the way, the ENTIRE bottom section (where you select "lines" as Zone Divisions, isnt in use. What i was doing with that, was mocking up a workflow more like what you described... Which works fine, its justa bunch of extra steps.

So what you see in that bottom portion, is i had also drawn a model line, in the Floor Plan. So we arent drawing the "polygons" but we are drawing the boundaries between them, so to speak.

In this case, we also tell the user to "select the model lines that are zone divisions." Then, when it looks for the path between each floor object and each room object, it also looks to see if they cross any of those model lines. (This is where the graph ends, because i have to get back to work).

But using the same logic, you could tell it:

1. If the line to "this room" crosses a zone boundary, exclude me from the length comparison.
    2. Find the shortest length that DOESNT cross a boundary.
    3. Record the data the same way.
    4. If ALL OF MY PATHS cross a boundary, for a particular floor device, write something bad in that object, so we know about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-05_21-22-48.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	498.1 KB 
ID:	38844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-05_21-30-33.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	38845  

Current Local Time

BTW, we were talking about this thread on our internal Channel, and John Pierson had some other interesting ideas about it: The newer path of Travel tools are exposed in the API, so that method (which he also said is pretty efficient) could be used. Thats way more "real world" than going in a straight line, like i did.

Current Local Time

OT but can the Path of Travel tool be made to follow the perimeter of a room rather than cutting across it diagonally?

Current Local Time
    08:52 AM

If I'm not mistaken only with some trickery. Since the tool runs in a view you could make some Volume families that block the middle of the Room, set to only be visible in that view.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn_K View Post
    If I'm not mistaken only with some trickery. Since the tool runs in a view you could make some Volume families that block the middle of the Room, set to only be visible in that view.
    Boooooo .. that's what i thought -- wonder if they could be made in Dynamo and it would respond that or if it would actually have to be modeled in the project