Thread: Slab Lines in Elevation

1.    #1
    Lurker
    Current Local Time
    04:48 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Slab Lines in Elevation

Hi All,

I work for a small architecture practice and we are making the transition from AutoCAD to Revit. We are starting with a 3 storey apartment building using 190mm block walls and concrete slabs and are using this as a test for larger projects.

We have run into an issue with slab lines showing up in elevations.

We would like our slabs to be modelled correctly with the exterior edge lining up with exterior edge of the block wall.

From reading many other posts I have come to understand that there a few options available to avoid this, however it seems that each method has a downside.

The options that I have come across are:

• Adding a finish layer (eg 5mm render) to the 190 block walls
      • The problem with this method is that the finish layer will show up in our floor plans and increase the wall from 190mm to 195mm which will cause issues on our plans, we only show structural walls on our plans so only want to show 190 block, no render or plasterboard.
      • I cannot seem to find a good method of hiding the finish layer in our floorplans and sections. I have tried changing the cut style to white but this looks incorrect in plans
      • I came across a method to hide the finishing layer using parts but I do not fully understand this concept

• Modelling the slab incorrectly and joining the block walls to create a seamless finish in elevation
      • This will cause issues in our sections with the slabs and block wall connections being incorrect. I could use a annotation fill region to cover this

Has anyone come up with a better method to solve this issue or can recommend a different approach?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    06:48 AM

Model the finish layer as a separate wall: then filter it out in the views (your structural plans) so it doesnt show.
    Have a read of this thread to get your head around the benifits:
    https://revitforum.org/showthread.ph...a)-in-the-wall

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    11:48 AM

I dont understand the issue. What youre describing is what youd actually see when its built, yes? If so then it seems entirely correct to see the edge of slab in elevation.

If you just dont want the line cause youre not used to seeing it, Id suggest using the linework tool with invisible lines to hide them.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    01:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DLapham View Post
    Hi All,

I work for a small architecture practice and we are making the transition from AutoCAD to Revit. We are starting with a 3 storey apartment building using 190mm block walls and concrete slabs and are using this as a test for larger projects.

We have run into an issue with slab lines showing up in elevations.

We would like our slabs to be modelled correctly with the exterior edge lining up with exterior edge of the block wall.

From reading many other posts I have come to understand that there a few options available to avoid this, however it seems that each method has a downside.

The options that I have come across are:

• Adding a finish layer (eg 5mm render) to the 190 block walls
      • The problem with this method is that the finish layer will show up in our floor plans and increase the wall from 190mm to 195mm which will cause issues on our plans, we only show structural walls on our plans so only want to show 190 block, no render or plasterboard.
      • I cannot seem to find a good method of hiding the finish layer in our floorplans and sections. I have tried changing the cut style to white but this looks incorrect in plans
      • I came across a method to hide the finishing layer using parts but I do not fully understand this concept

• Modelling the slab incorrectly and joining the block walls to create a seamless finish in elevation
      • This will cause issues in our sections with the slabs and block wall connections being incorrect. I could use a annotation fill region to cover this

Has anyone come up with a better method to solve this issue or can recommend a different approach?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your Revit journey.

A few things to note:

As has been mentioned, modeling separate "backup walls and finish walls" and then using Revit Filters, will 100% do what you are describing: Youll be able to hide the Finishes where you dont want to see them. But- as an aside- as a new firm just getting in to Revit, you need to look at your "wall or partition types" and decide what you think a *finish* is, vs what you are used to showing in plan.

For instance, on an interior partition, i consider Tile, Wood, Brick, or Metal Panel a "Finish." Gyp Board is not a finish, its part fo the wall type. Why do i bring this up? If your "firm standard" is to only show stud thicknesses in plan, its going to be a bunch of extra work in Revit, and it isnt going to be a fun time. (Nor does it add value).