Thread: Trimble Sysque Content integrated into MEP Fabrication Parts Configuration...

Current Local Time
    05:48 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Trimble Sysque Content integrated into MEP Fabrication Parts Configuration...

We have subcontracted out a project due to the scale of work to be done. We are currently using a Third - Party software called Trimble Sysque to do our in - house coordination and prefabrication. In this scenario, they only use Revit MEP Fabrication Parts to design their piping. I would like to take the Trimble Sysque Piping and Import that into their Revit MEP Database that way they are using only the Pipe and Fittings we are going to use in our prefabrication. I would also like to spool the Pipe using our Sysque Spooling Software once they are done designing the piping. They have mentioned they have done this before with another client but since I am the one who possesses the Data to integrate into the Database, I have to recreate the steps their clients done which I do not quite know. I am unfamiliar with Revit MEP Database parts and have not used the configurations or softwares they are using.

Current Local Time

IF:
    You are using SysQue.
    They are using Fabrication Parts.
    You want them to model (Fab Parts) based on your (SysQue) pipe spec.
    You want to be able to spool their (fab parts) model, using your (SysQue) spooling tool.

Then:
    This is a challenge for probably even the most advanced users to step into and fix.

My suggestion is that you provide a written spec for them to develop their own services and ITMs for accurate modeling. If you want to spool their fab-parts based Revit model, use Victaulic's tools to spool it.

If you had all the time in the world, you could work together to match up your System.xml and their Services.map and they could use Building-Data ITMs for all their parts and you would have a more homogeneous approach, but I doubt you have that kind of time.

I'd be happy to hear from other cross-over users on suggestions to this conundrum.

(Disclaimer: I don't represent either team. I have used both. Both have immense value. These statements are not endorsements of any product.)
    Last edited by TFuller; May 26th, 2020 at 01:22 PM.

Current Local Time

TFuller,
    We have been searching for an answer for four days now. We have been going steady with work. I have found that Sysque will let me copy their .XML Folder on a System of my choosing and copy the configuration. Also, it will let my export a .SYSQUEPIPE file type. Is there anyway to import this into Fabrication Parts to setup? I am very unfamiliar with how to set up anything in relation to MEP Parts.

Current Local Time
    03:48 PM

with Sysque, you are paying for that content. By trying to give someone else this content, you may be violating your EULA with Sysque...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D Davis View Post
    with Sysque, you are paying for that content. By trying to give someone else this content, you may be violating your EULA with Sysque...
    So they need to have their own Sysque? I cant give them content due to the different file types. I just want to be able to manage their database to where they are using the correct piping and fittings.

Current Local Time

Cody - if I remember correctly, that feature was for sharing SysQue pipe systems to other SysQue users without having to hand over your entire customized Systems.xml file. I could be wrong though, it's been a few years...

I don't remember ever seeing a function that would allow someone to create a fabrication service (analogous to a SysQue system) based on a Systems.xml. There would be considerable mapping required for this to work. And whereas mapping could theoretically happen, you have to have something to map to, meaning they still need to have content and connectors set up in the Fabrication database.

If the Fabrication user was already a paying Building-Data customer, they could be using the exact same content resource as what you are using, and that would certainly speed this whole situation up considerably. But, they still need to create services (aka systems) that would match yours, and I don't know of any way to make that happen automagically. Someone still has to go through and do a lot of pickin' and a' clickin'. Even if you used a conversion process (RFA to ITM) inside Revit, you still have to have something to land on, i.e. the services.

This is definitely a tricky situation, but if the systems aren't that complicated and out of the ordinary, the Fabrication user will likely already have something very similar to what you are using. Assuming you are ok with them continuing to use Fab Parts, with a little effort, I imagine they could get a service built to match your system in less time than it would take to figure out the complexity of a data transfer that works.

There's a lot of OOTB content available in the two ADSK fabrication databases (Revit and CADmep), and even though they use different connector logic, there's a pretty diverse load of ITMs.

It may also be worthwhile to consider employing a third-party software company to assist in creating the needed service, such as eVolveMEP or even Trimble.

Current Local Time

While i certainly defer to TFuller and the other MEP experts who have used both products, this sounds like (unfortunately) another of those cases similar to when Architectural principals come in and say *Hey i wont this job by proposing half the fee and saying we will reuse the other architects model... please make it work for half the cost,* and then having to be told that doesnt really work.

Work-sharing (not worksharing) is decently more complicated with Revit, compared to AutoCAD days... Moreso if firms have a lot of quality implementation customizations set up. I see a lot of architects wanting to split up work "the conventional way" and then shrugging, when they realize its more complicated than that. And thats WITHOUT the massive difference between an RFA library and an ITM setup.

If it were me (and obviously, it isnt) i would draw a line in the sand that either has the subcontractor working for you doing the entire model, or none of it. Of course, im also imagining what that final deliverable looks like, half done one way, half done another.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cody_ View Post
    I just want to be able to manage their database to where they are using the correct piping and fittings.
    In the strictest and most literal interpretation of that statement, I can say that is definitely not going to happen.

I'm offering this to avoid any potential language/terminology misinterpretations between you and them, because if you say that to the wrong person, their hackles will bristle like a extremely angry canine.

Fabrication database management can be challenging on the best days to keep everything straight and clean. That's why I suggested you give them a written spec and let them build it on their own, because they can build it with the correct naming conventions that are already in place for their company or at least set up new profiles or configs and use as much of their data as possible.

Disclosure: I am an angry bristling canine when it comes to the database...

Current Local Time

What if we Spool using Revit Assemblies? The job is too large of a scale to redraw anything. I am thankful for everyones thoughts. I still have a while before I am proficient in this Software. There is never a clear way of doing anything in Revit.

Current Local Time

If you want to spool Fab Parts inside Revit, look to using assemblies or check out Victaulic's automated tools, which I believe is based on assemblies.

Spooling SysQue content would obviously use SysQueSpool.