Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit Door Family

Current Local Time
    08:35 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit Door Family

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to create a door family that will allow me to set the top/bottom/side/ and intermediate dimensions as adjustable parameters, and have the number of wood panels space out equally between these parameters and adjust when those parameters are changed. I've gotten it close to working, but since the top rail and bottom rail of the doors are often not the same dimension the top and bottom panels are not equally spacing. How would you suggest building this family? Maybe I am going about it the wrong way. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    10:35 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So, i just happened to see this post so i could Approve it (your first 5 have to be approved), so i downloaded your door. Let me take a peek, and maybe ill make a short video, since this comes up a lot, and im doing it right now while i work on one of our content libraries. Stay tuned!

Current Local Time

Okay that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So, in the attached ZIP there are two different files, with two different ways of fixing it. Personally, id go with option 1, and then you can delete the extra Panels Parameter with the formula, because its not adding any value.

Essentially, you CAN do what you want with EQ constraints, and you dont need a formula for it at all. But- as you mentioned, the Top Rail and Bottom rail can be different heights, do just for the EQ constraints, you need additional Reference Planes that simulate the top and bottom rails being the same height. You only need them for establishing the center to center relationship of the Rails.

Option 2: You CAN do it with the Panel Height parameter, which i go through at the end. But you cant constrain EVERY Panel, since the Height of the overall panel is already established. You have to leave one dimension opened, even if its Established by everything else.

Video walking through it all is here:

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/-9...=1590782747000

Also: Took all the constraints and reference planes out of the Sketch. You want them in the family, not the sketch. Youll get way less frustrated that way. Less constraints.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

Okay I will take a look! But two things:

1. It says I need a password to view the zoom video
    2. I'm unable to open the revit file in 2019. Says, "was saved in a later version of revit and cannot be retrieved in this version"

Current Local Time

I give you the upvote for the "You'll get less frustrated that way." Happy Friday!

Current Local Time

Oh wow... Thats annoying (about the Zoom Meeting). Hang on, ill rehost it.

Yeah, sorry: Im working in Revit 2021. I didnt notice the version. But the video will help you recreate what i did, when you watch it. Let me reupload.

Current Local Time

The video is in 1080. Itll improve (quality wise) after youtube is done processing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT2s...ature=youtu.be

Current Local Time

Thank you Thank you! I knew I was missing a last step and couldn't quite get there so I appreciate the lesson! Undoubtedly like you noted, I will end up making a 5 panel and a 4 panel at some point down the road. I'd be interested in learning how to do a nested family as you mentioned so at some point I could just have 1 door family that contains the parameters for different quantities of panels. IF you have any other videos I can watch for reference you are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Current Local Time

Very welcome. There is a thread stickied in the forum, about how to build doors in general, with nested families. It doesn't have a video, but has an old directory of Doors with nested panels, that you can download and play with.

Essentially, you make a family called "Door." The. You make separate panel Families. And in the door family, you can swap them with a parameter.

Our current library had tons of panelled door options: E11, E12, E13, E14, E15, E21, E22, E23, E24, E25, and some variations with glazing in some panel locations as well. Nested families is the way to go, for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk