Thread: What's the trick for getting an Area tag to show a calculated Occupant Load?

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    04:24 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

What's the trick for getting an Area tag to show a calculated Occupant Load?

I'm trying to create an Area tag that will read the Area value, divide by a particular Occupant Load, and then display the number of occupants for that area. But I'm not having success.

First I created a Shared Parameter called AreaPerOcc. This has a Number value, and I placed it as a label in my Area Tag. Then I added a calculated value to the tag, taking Area divided by AreaPerOcc and then dividing by 1 SF to remove the units.

Next I created the Shared Parameter in my project using the same AreaPerOcc parameter, as a numerical Area parameter (instance being the only option). Then I loaded the Area tag.

When I place an area with the tag, it will read the area value of the Area and report that in the tag, and I can type in the AreaPerOcc parameter in the Area's instance properties (wish I could drive it by my Parameter Key schedule but I'm guessing that's Dynamo only). But the calculated value simply shows 0. It's not dividing the Area value by the entered value for AreaPerOcc. Both the tag and the project are using the same AreaPerOcc shared parameter, so where is the disconnect?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Got it. The calculated value in my tag was set to Integer, but in my project it was set to Number. Changed the tag value to Number and it works great now. Other than having to manually input the occupant load factor for each area, despite already having that info from my Schedule Key based on IBC Table 1004.1.1.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    02:24 AM

Thank you for posting the result.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So apparently it's on the "road map" to allow Shared Parameters in Schedule Keys. That will be amazing as we'll finally be able to show the actual occupant load in the tag automatically, based on the assigned Occupancy Use for a particular area. Perhaps we'll see it in 2021.1 or 2022.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    02:24 AM

Hopefully it'll come out in 2021.X.....I think we're all eagerly awaiting this feature.