Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shared parameter

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    06:48 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Shared parameter

Hi guys,

while I had a discussion with another BIM company, they were saying that they had a shared parameter to position all the models by itself. Do you guys know how to do it?

Also, what are your favorite shared parameter that help you the most daily? I know it depends for each project, but there must be some parameters that are often used in specific context?

Thanks for your help!

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    01:48 PM

Im guessing all that BIM company is talking about, is a Shared Parameter where they are recording original location or positional information. Which wont *automatically* position anything, all by itself. They MIGHT be using an app or Dynamo to then adjust the Shared Coordinate System BASED on that data, but that honestly doesnt make much sense to me. You need to know the same information to fill in the parameter as you do to just set the coordinates.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Yeah exactly, they retrieve information from a specific model, then use it to position a specific corner to a specific coordinate. Then they fill the same coordinates for the same point of all the other models. It is my partner that was in discussion with them so he saw it, but yeah is there a lot of advantages to do so? and it is hard?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    In my humble opinion there are zero advantages to doing it, and it requires knowing the exact same information as doing it the current way, without the addition of special parameters.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    12:48 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Are shared parameters being confused with shared coordinates? Shared coordinates can be acquired from a model, and can position a model using the same coordinates correctly (with some caveats in BIM360 models)

Shared parameters are used to have consistent information across families, and to display that information in tags.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Yeah the guy probably meant to say shared coordinates, but probably said shared parameter.
    Is it mostly working from BIM360? what if you use a central model with a server. Is it the same process? is it still quicker than the classic method? according to you of course!

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

What is the "classic method?" Or are you referring to it as that because i said "current method?" What i was talking about, is exactly what Julie is talking about. Standard Shared Coordinates.

Shared Coordinates work in every type of model: Standalone, Workshared on a Server, Workshared on Revit Server, and Workshared on BIM 360. Certain commands related to Shared Coordinates (like acquiring and/or publishing) dont work in BIM360. But Shared Coordinates themselves, work fine.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

the ''classical method'' is a method I see often on youtube, people rotate each model to a specific place and decide where they put their insertion point. then when all models are rotated and place at the same way, they can link each other and they will be on the same starting points. But it is not that efficient when you are working with multiple firms. if 1 person screw , everything is screwed

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    12:48 PM

Shared coordinates all the way, set up in the beginning if possible (All our models go onto BIM360, but if we can we establish the coordinates before initiating, we can use those commands Aaron mentioned that don't work once on the cloud). I try to avoid manually positioning links - the only times I've done it is to bring a structural model 100' down to match our buildings, and when pulling in a reference model that I will detach as soon as I'm done with.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time
    11:48 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Certain commands related to Shared Coordinates (like acquiring and/or publishing) dont work in BIM360.
    Just to be clear: only Publishing is disabled for BIM 360. You can Acquire Coordinates in BIM 360...