Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit Link Positioning - Manual

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:20 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit Link Positioning - Manual

Is it just me or is this broken?

I have bathroom pods created in separate Revit files. I want to link them into my building across many floors.

I have tried using all the manual positioning options but it ALWAYS brings the link in at Level 0 which happens to be the level in the linked file, even if my active view is say, L16. It then also unceremoneously drops the link there without allowing me to click because, as the error states, the geometry is not visible in my current view.

WHY does it not bring the link in at the level I am linking it? If using Manual - Project Base Point, the Project Base Point of my link should be on the end of my cursor at L16 not 16 storeys below.

Before anyone tries to explain it away as "honouring the level in the link" I would make 2 points - this is not the point of manual insertion and second, if I try to link in a 3D or even an Elevation View it will allow me to click and insert the link at any level in the model so there's no honouring anything in that case. It's just not very useful because I can't accurately position the link on the horizontal plane in these views.

That such basic functionality is still broken or utterly obscure in its working is a constant frustration. Of course I'll be happy to take all this back and sing its praises if some kind soul would point out why I'm the idiot and what I'm doing wrong!

Cheers.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    10:20 PM

Using groups instead of links will remove your issue, and make a bunch of other stuff much easier to coordinate.
    Last edited by elton williams; June 4th, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    07:20 AM

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Using groups instead of links will remove your issue, and make a bunch of other stuff much easier to coordinate.
    Yep. I do Prefabricated Modules quite often. Wouldnt ever do them as Links.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    12:20 PM

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I hear you. No sollution either. Revit is a major pain in the ass working with 'external' files. Even the NATIVE one, even if its just local. Try Dynamo ?
    Last edited by HansLammerts; June 4th, 2020 at 05:23 PM.

5.    #5
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    05:20 AM

RVT to RVT linking is based on elevation model zero elevation to model zero elevation. You can move them up to a different elevation. Linking isn't intended to manage repetitive units effectively, Groups are.

Manual - Base Point means AutoCAD Basepoint. Completely irrelevant to Revit files. Sadly, unless they've fixed it in recent versions it doesn't actually work, meaning reference the Base Point concept in AutoCAD files. It is a broken option since nearly its inception.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks all. I will take the replies to confirm Revit is broken in this respect.

I am using links because the pod files are actually IFCs provided by the manufacturer.

Steve - as I already pointed out, linking in a 3D or elevation view does not bring links in at zero elevation so this is clearly not a deliberately consistent basis for Revit linking.

Furthermore "Origin to Origin" may use Revit/AutoCADs internal, invisible origin (more insanity but never mind) but "Manual - Project Base Point", as Autodesk themselves state here, uses REVIT's Project Base Point to position files. I know you weren't trying to excuse Autodesk here but it bears clarification because there are so many misconceptions around Revit's origins and location points.

Trust me finding work arounds is not a problem for me, if I/we didn't or couldn't we wouldn't still be using Revit but I'll say it again in the hope that somehow these complaints register with Autodesk; that something so fundamental in a key tool like Revit is broken while they focus almost exclusively on more fashionable revenue streams like BIM360 is a crime /rant.
    Last edited by mnemonix; June 6th, 2020 at 10:26 AM. Reason: corrected Project Base Point to Project Base Point to Manual - Project Base Point as per original post.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Revit isn't perfect but calling it broken because an ifc model exported from some unknown and random software doesn't import and locate exactly where you want it without any actual spatial data is inane.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Revit isn't perfect but calling it broken because an ifc model exported from some unknown and random software doesn't import and locate exactly where you want it without any actual spatial data is inane.
    I'm sorry Eton but you are unfairly mischaracterising my issue.

What is broken is the manual positioning of Revit links, the fact that in this specific case I mentioned an IFC from which the linked Revit files were derived is imaterial, and I do not expect it to automatically locate it in the "inane" way you describe.

I expect Manual - Project Base Point to link a Revit model with the Base Point at the location of my cursor as described in Autodesks documentation, all of which I clearly stated in my original post (typo in the reply notwithstanding and now corrected). It does not do this and is clearly broken.
    Last edited by mnemonix; June 6th, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    12:20 PM

What did Autodesk support say?

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

Revit is 90% moving things around in 3D and you can't simply adjust the location after import?
    Or just use groups and avoid the issue altogether.

Autodesk documentation is 75% written by "experts" these days so take that as you will.

I'm sorry that you struggle with placing ifc links (yuk). You ever tried linking dwgs in elevated views?