Thread: Copying a model into a new file

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    08:07 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Copying a model into a new file

I am trying to copy a model into a new file. I know that I can etransmit or detach from central and save as, however I just want the model and none of the other views or sheets.
    I recall there being a way by creating a 3d view and then just exporting or transferring the view to get the clean model, but cannot find information in this. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    07:07 PM

There are several ways to accomplish that. Depending on the reasons or what you are trying to do, i may approach it one of a few different ways. Can you elaborate on why you need to copy the model out, without all th views and sheets?

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

well if it's anything like my current project, we measured an existing building over a decade ago, did an entire renovation project through CD's to bidding, then the Owner decided not to pursue the project. Now 12-ish years later a different tenant is planning on going into the building (same Owner), so we wanted our old existing building model but without documentation, using our current project template.

We linked the old model into a new, blank file, then bound in the link. There was a bit of cleanup to do like a few levels, but it wasn't bad as the building was really only a shell.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    08:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    There are several ways to accomplish that. Depending on the reasons or what you are trying to do, i may approach it one of a few different ways. Can you elaborate on why you need to copy the model out, without all th views and sheets?
    This is a model that we received from a different firm. We need to use it for an addition that we are doing, so we want the model, but we so not want all the sheets and view and titleblocks that are the other firms. We want to be able to insert it into our own template.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    06:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by sgray05 View Post
    This is a model that we received from a different firm. We need to use it for an addition that we are doing, so we want the model, but we so not want all the sheets and view and titleblocks that are the other firms. We want to be able to insert it into our own template.
    Follow the suggestion PatrickGSR94 noted above. Here's how I would approach it:
    1) Create a new project using the company template
    1a) Delete the levels from the company template (can add later if needed)
    2) Link the model to be "copied"
    3) Bind the link, including grids and levels

Yes, there can be some cleanup required, but this is the least messy way to accomplish this.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CADiva View Post
    Follow the suggestion PatrickGSR94 noted above. Here's how I would approach it:
    1) Create a new project using the company template
    1a) Delete the levels from the company template (can add later if needed)
    2) Link the model to be "copied"
    3) Bind the link, including grids and levels

Yes, there can be some cleanup required, but this is the least messy way to accomplish this.
    No offense intended, of course, but i wouldnt do this. If you delete the levels in the Template, you lose everything set up based on those levels. In our template, that would blow away (literally) thousands of views that are pre set up on sheets, for documentation.

1. Link the file in
    2. Go to a section or elevation, and make all the levels at the exact same height.
    3. Bind the link, and DONT bring in the levels
    4. Everything will reassociate correctly if there is a level at the correct height
    5. Take two weeks converting everything to your offices standards, because all the content and system objects from the other firm are probably different than you use.
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; June 5th, 2020 at 02:19 PM.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    06:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    No offense intended, of course, but i wouldnt do this. If you delete the levels in the Template, you lose everything set up based on those levels. In our template, that would blow away (literally) thousands of views that are pre set up on sheets, for documentation.

1. Link the file in
    2. Go to a section or elevation, and make all the levels at the exact same height.
    3. Bind the link, and DONT bring in the levels
    4. Everything will reassociate correctly if there is a level at the correct height
    5. Take two weeks converting everything to your offices standards, because all the content and system objects from the other firm are probably different than you use.
    Fair point.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    10:07 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I'm not 100% clear on how the linked model is to be used moving forward or how large the project is, but from what i've read so far I'd just keep it as a link and remodel over the top, esp. if you're taking over someone else's garbage. (It's always garbage). Then remove the link.

Always much easier to do things with your own families.