Thread: Nested Door Panels

Current Local Time
    11:58 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nested Door Panels

Hello,

Ive been learning how to nest door panels into a parent door family. I have gotten a good understanding of it, but have a quick question regarding nesting in multiple panels of different sizes.

For example, lets say I have the parent family set to have an opening of 2'6 x 6'8. I have a nested door panel that is 2'6 x 6'8 in the parent family to meet that requirement. Now lets say I would like to swap that panel out for a 3' x 8' panel. Is there a way to make the parent family opening adjust in size to match the nested family's opening? Or do I have to manually change the opening size in the parent family, and then swap in the large sized panel?

Looking for any advice I can get.

Thanks,

Current Local Time
    12:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by kotichaz View Post
    Hello,

Ive been learning how to nest door panels into a parent door family. I have gotten a good understanding of it, but have a quick question regarding nesting in multiple panels of different sizes.

For example, lets say I have the parent family set to have an opening of 2'6 x 6'8. I have a nested door panel that is 2'6 x 6'8 in the parent family to meet that requirement. Now lets say I would like to swap that panel out for a 3' x 8' panel. Is there a way to make the parent family opening adjust in size to match the nested family's opening? Or do I have to manually change the opening size in the parent family, and then swap in the large sized panel?

Looking for any advice I can get.

Thanks,
    The parent has to drive the children. It cannot be the other way around. You set the parameters in the children to be Instance, you tether them to the Parent, and you make your sizes there.

Thats the only real way the system works. You wont succeed swapping out size typed panels.

Current Local Time
    10:58 AM

Make the parameters in the panel family instance and link them to parameters in the host family.

Current Local Time
    11:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    The parent has to drive the children. It cannot be the other way around. You set the parameters in the children to be Instance, you tether them to the Parent, and you make your sizes there.

Thats the only real way the system works. You wont succeed swapping out size typed panels.

Gotcha,

So the best approach is to have 2 separate sized "door" parent families, one that is 2'6 x 6'8, and all the panels nested in it are designed for the 2'6 x 6'8 size, and another parent where all the panels are for a 3' x 8' opening.

Or alternatively, I can just adjust the sizes in the parent family, assuming the nested panels are designed in a way that decreasing the size of the panel wont cause an error.

Thanks,

Current Local Time
    12:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by kotichaz View Post
    Gotcha,

So the best approach is to have 2 separate sized "door" parent families, one that is 2'6 x 6'8, and all the panels nested in it are designed for the 2'6 x 6'8 size, and another parent where all the panels are for a 3' x 8' opening.

Or alternatively, I can just adjust the sizes in the parent family, assuming the nested panels are designed in a way that decreasing the size of the panel wont cause an error.

Thanks,
    Thats not what i said at all.

You can have a single Parent family, for as many variations in sizes as you want there to be. You can even decide if those are Instance or Type.

If your Panels are Nested and Shared, you dont even have to load them all in to the Parent Door Family, you only have to load one, in to the parent door family.

Yes, the Panels need to be able to flex for size adjustments, or they will break and delete the door, when you try to use them at a particular size.

There is an entire sample Door Library with Nested and Shared families, in the Family forum. I would recommend you start there, while you learn the basics.