Thread: Doors cutting all the way through walls with void extrusions...

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    11:52 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Doors cutting all the way through walls with void extrusions...

Hi Guys,
    Newbie here (both to forum and Revit)

I work for a survey company and all our revit work is modelling existing buildings.
    A lot of the buildings we work with have doors in recesses.
    My problem is if I create a wall, add a void extrusion to form a recess, say half the width of the wall, and then add a door, the door family still uses the full width of the wall for its geometry. Is there a way to force the door family to use the "thin" wall only?

Sorry if I've not described it very well, but I have attached an image which might make it clearer
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recess.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	39011  

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    05:52 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum... Frustrated.

So, thats not what *all Doors* do, its how "those doors" work. it has to do with the Door Library you are using. None of them will *automatically* shrink to the size of the geometry left after the recess, but any GOOD door library will let you manually set the Frame depth, in the wall, which will take care of that problem.

Now, a bigger discussion is: Is that really a CMU wall? If so, and if i was having an existing model built, i wouldnt want the recess cut out that way, in Revit. A 10" CMU and a 6" CMU are not the same thing. I would want that smaller "recessed" portion of wall being modeled as a 6" CMU wall, with a thicker 10" or 12" CMU wall as the larger portion.

If i received an "existing" model done that way, i would be.... quite upset.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I will try to make the door with the parameter set up in the family.

No, that wasn't a CMU wall...it was just a host to try and illustrate my problem

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Welcome to the forum... Frustrated.

So, thats not what *all Doors* do, its how "those doors" work. it has to do with the Door Library you are using. None of them will *automatically* shrink to the size of the geometry left after the recess, but any GOOD door library will let you manually set the Frame depth, in the wall, which will take care of that problem.

Now, a bigger discussion is: Is that really a CMU wall? If so, and if i was having an existing model built, i wouldnt want the recess cut out that way, in Revit. A 10" CMU and a 6" CMU are not the same thing. I would want that smaller "recessed" portion of wall being modeled as a 6" CMU wall, with a thicker 10" or 12" CMU wall as the larger portion.

If i received an "existing" model done that way, i would be.... quite upset.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    04:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Revitfrustrated View Post
    Hi Thanks for the reply,

I will try to make the door with the parameter set up in the family.

No, that wasn't a CMU wall...it was just a host to try and illustrate my problem
    Even if that is an example, the question remains - why are you using a void to indicate that condition? Short of cast in recesses in a solid concrete wall, the wall the door is hosted in would be constructed separately from the corridor wall, and should be modeled as such.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    05:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jmk View Post
    Even if that is an example, the question remains - why are you using a void to indicate that condition? Short of cast in recesses in a solid concrete wall, the wall the door is hosted in would be constructed separately from the corridor wall, and should be modeled as such.
    Completely agree.

In fact, even for CIP Concrete, i would still model that as a thinner wall type, for that section. There are very view cases i would *notch* out like this, with a void. And the few places i would, would be things like art installations or carvings, where a door wouldnt be hosted.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Completely agree.

In fact, even for CIP Concrete, i would still model that as a thinner wall type, for that section. There are very view cases i would *notch* out like this, with a void. And the few places i would, would be things like art installations or carvings, where a door wouldnt be hosted.
    Thanks for the advice
    Nah I will take that onboard and for our next project