Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2021

Current Local Time
    04:27 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit 2021

I haven't seen much in the way of issue for Revit 2021. Does this mean it was basically an issue free release?
    Or is everyone working from home using 2020 because of CV19? lol

Current Local Time
    03:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by therrien View Post
    I haven't seen much in the way of issue for Revit 2021. Does this mean it was basically an issue free release?
    Please define what types of *issues* are you asking about?

Ive rolled it out internally, and at a couple of other clients offices. The 2021 release had less drama during installations (for me and our clients) than some other years have had, and the only issue ive seen so far, had to do with the CTC Revit Express Tools initial release of 2021 versions (21.0.0) sacking BIM 360 functionality in Revit 2021 only (2020 and 2019 were still fine). But they fixed it in the 21.0.1 update.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Please define what types of *issues* are you asking about?

Ive rolled it out internally, and at a couple of other clients offices. The 2021 release had less drama during installations (for me and our clients) than some other years have had, and the only issue ive seen so far, had to do with the CTC Revit Express Tools initial release of 2021 versions (21.0.0) sacking BIM 360 functionality in Revit 2021 only (2020 and 2019 were still fine). But they fixed it in the 21.0.1 update.
    By issues I mean "anything". After a new release there's usually a bunch of threads discussing bugs in the software. Because of that, I typically wait for the next update on that release months later before I dive in.

Current Local Time

By issues I mean "anything". After a new release there's usually a bunch of threads discussing bugs in the software. Because of that, I typically wait for the next update on that release months later before I dive in.
    Hmmm, i dont know that there are usually bugs being discussed, every year. Maybe i always miss those discussions?

We've already rolled it out, and our new work is all starting in 2021. We just started one new model in 2020, but thats specifically because that client wanted us to. I dont see anything at the moment that would give me an incentive to wait, other than a few lingering apps that arent released yet.

Current Local Time

It's not usually threads about "bugs"
    It's more often threads about "Why is this new feature THAT way?"
    or
    "Why didn't they add THIS feature instead!!!!"

Current Local Time
    01:27 PM

14 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I can tell you that in the past (several years ago) the "R" releases (such as 2015 R1, 2015 R2, etc) were bug fixes. The Revit team only did "new" features/functionality for the major releases, once a year, in the March/April time frame. The other releases throughout the year were just bug fixes.

That all changed a while back (i dont recall the exact release or time frame). The Revit Dev team adopted an "agile" software development approach, which changed the way that Revit is developed. The team now releases one major release a year, like Revit 2021, in the March/April time frame, which also includes a "file format change", and subsequently also includes any tools that also rely on that file format change. Then there are also the 'quarterly" point releases. (almost quarterly, but not always), such as Revit 2021.1, 2021.2, and (maybe) 2021.3. Each one of these point releases also includes new features/functionality that do NOT rely on, or affect, the file format.

What I'm really trying to explain is the fallacy that the first "point" release of Revit is a bug fix release. Revit is de-bugged through the entire development cycle! Constantly! To the developers, there is really no difference between Revit 2020.2 and Revit 2021, except that the RVT file format has been updated. As you all know, Revit's TRUE release is based on builds. For instance, I'm currently on 20200220_1100. There is a NEW build of Revit, nearly every hour of every singe day! That's why the build number includes the hour! if we break down the build number for those that may not know: 2020- 02 - 20_1100 was created in 2020, in February (02), on the 20th day (20), at 1100 hours (11am on a 24 hour clock)

Every one of those builds goes through extensive testing and bug bashing on a "Regression Farm"...a server room full of computers running Revit, and testing each new bit of code the developers have introduced, against every bug that's ever been identified. When it comes to release time, a Build is picked from the list of all the hourly builds that meets a defined criteria for stability and bugs/issues to become an official "Release to Market" build.

Now, an official Release isn't always perfect...sometimes things slip through that just simply were not identified and caught. It's just the nature of software....it's nearly impossible to test every possible scenario. In that case, we release a hotfix as quickly as possible to fix those issues, which are a "point-point" release...like Revit 2021.0.1

Hopefully this helps clear things up a bit. The team works extremely hard to assure that every release of Revit is as bug-free as possible. There is no reason to wait until the .1 release to install Revit! There is no difference between 2021.0, 2021.1, 2021.2, or 2022.0 (or any release) in the methods that the development team uses to de-bug Revit!
    Last edited by Scott D Davis; June 24th, 2020 at 02:55 AM.

Current Local Time
    10:27 PM

Thanx Scott some interesting info there and a nice look into Revit development.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Many people/firms have developed a habit of waiting for the first update because they felt it allowed them to avoid any mission critical issues that might crop up. In other words waiting meant other firms would do the testing and they'd benefit from their observations. Some firms take six to twelve months to start actively using the current release.

With 2020 there was a brief period where they pulled the recent update down until they could resolve an issue that users reported. In that case waiting for the first release/update to deploy wouldn't have helped... In twenty years of using Revit I can only vaguely recall one or two times that firing up the new release right away was met with problems. They've had a pretty solid track record.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Great info Scott. Thanks.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When there are only a few and minor new features, it totally makes sense that there won't be any new bugs...